What do you train for?

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Judderman, Jul 2, 2004.

1. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

When discussing scenarios and training do you train for the most likely attacks, eg HAOV, or do you look at worse case scenarios?

Why do you use the scenarios you do?

2. Judderman

Judderman 'Ello darlin'

Hmmnn. No takers?

Personally I train for the most likely scenarios against the most likely opponents.

3. Mind Aflame

Mind Aflame New Member

We tend to train for as many eventualities as possible at my dojo. We obviously train alot onhow to counter hooks and other common attacks but we also work on defeance against knives and other various senarios. Also emphasis is given to the different ranges in conflict for example high kicks are no good in a busy pub and many close range attacks are;n suitable if you see trouble coming froma distance.

4. RichieRich

RichieRich Valued Member

You can read this 2 ways..
    What does your place teach...?
    What is your personal focus?

5. David

David Mostly AFK, these days

I practice situation awareness in my daily life and in class we train to deal with head-on attacks and, to a lesser degree, situations arising from surprise attacks from the rear.

Nothing in the way of scenario role-play a la Geoff Thompson etc.

Rgds,
    David

6. NeonxBurst

NeonxBurst 1st Black

I personally train for Self Defense more than sport, my school on the other hand gives you the best of both worlds we do street defense twice a week, sport competition twice a week and regular MA training twice a week. Yes I train six days a week, and I love it. I do prefer Self Defense more though because in this day and age it's becoming more apparent that we all need it. Especially me because I was always picked on always beat up and always running out the door with a base ball bat in hand and believe me I wasn't going to the diamond, but now I can defend myself and I've done it before now I don't get picked on as much, I know this was a little off topic, but I wanted to explain why I prefer the self defense side of the training.

-NeonxBurst

7. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Well being that I am female ... the same.

"most likely scenarios against the most likely opponents"

8. RichieRich

RichieRich Valued Member

using mainly TKD or a mixture of stuff?

9. Albert

Albert Banned Banned

I train for the worst case scenario, like if a doughnut becomes possesed by satan and grows arms and legs and tries to take over the world by turning everyone else into regular doughnuts like it once was, and eating them, ill know what to do to save us all.

10. RichieRich

RichieRich Valued Member

I can the benefits of "having a gameplan", but you'd be better off being a strong conceptual fighter rather than an "a -> b -> c" type practioner.

11. Tittan

Tittan Valued Member

I practice situations and techniques that will let me come home at the end of the day no matter what happens...
    I also practice 3rd person techniques - where you go between if someone attacks, say, your wife, kid or friend, so they too can come home ;)

12. Nevada_MO_Guy

Nevada_MO_Guy Missouri_Karate_Guy

Practice self defense mostly.

Front chokes
    Rear chokes
    Having your arm grabbed, same arm as attacker, opposite arm of attacker
    Grabbed from the side
    Bearhugs from the front with arms free and pinned
    Bearhugs from behind with arms free and pinned
    Headlocks
    Armlocks
    Ground defense

Plus the normal stuff with an attacker throwing punchs or kicks.

13. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

As far as training goes everything should be driven by a single idea:

Train the way you Fight, Fight the way you Train.

As for what scenarios or opponent types I train to fight. Honestly, if I look at my self defense training split it probably isn't the most realistic. In class, I'd average 90% of the time is spent training for 1% of the attackers out there. That 1% are people with some base of martial arts/fight training. This is just a function of the average martial arts class. We all train most often to fight our own system.

The remaining 10% of time is spent on working against the 90% of attackers out there. People with limited fight experience. Thankfully I've worked hard over the last year to understand how to optimize that training time. Still, I should probably spend more time on it.

Outside of class I'm constantly practicing. I'll work on awareness skills. I'll observe my environment picking out the potential preditors and prey. And I'll run scenarios and responses through my head. It's not replacement for physical training. Rather it's an important supliment.

As far as literal scenarios:
    1. Pan Handle / Mugging
    2. 2 man mugging
    3. Drunken Confrontation
    4. Road rage
    5. Street bump
    6. Suprise jumping

- Matt

Last edited: Jul 8, 2004
  14. Trent Tiemeyer

Trent Tiemeyer Valued Member

I spend a lot of time anticipating and training for the eventualities of bouncing. I try to study and recognize the tell-tale signs of ambush and suckerpunch situations.

I train to fight trained fighters, because untrained fighters are a piece of cake in comparison.

15. Nrv4evr

Nrv4evr New Member

i fight to never lose focus, through countless hours of painstaking kata. i've used many of the underlying techniques in kata very effectively for self-defense, and like 1onefighting, it's better to train to fight a trained opponent because that would make an untrained one look easy.