What do you think is the most practical 'street' weapon?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Weasel, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Davey Bones

Davey Bones New Member

whatever is handy and works. Ideally, you shouldn't need one though!

2. airweaver

airweaver Valued Member

ive seen these blunt peg type things which are about 13 cm and made of metal, theyre just gripped and just used to stub in someones head as hard as you can, they wont break skin or likely to kill but will give the attacker a shock, dull pain and nasty lump.
    i think you put em with your keys.

3. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

a syringe!

4. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

A drug addict with a HIV-infested syringe will make even the kockyest martial artist back of :D

5. Incredible Bulk

Incredible Bulk Eat-Lift-Eat-Sleep-Grow

i like the roll of polo's trick :D

i used to keep a long round lighter in my jacket pocket that made a handy instrument to hold in your fist but since i gave up smoking :bang:

Polo's all the way now, or a pack of 'Trebor XXXX Strong Mints' :D

6. Mudo

Mudo Valued Member

Kubaton, perhaps? I carry one as a keychain everywhere I go. In fact, I think I'm borderline pyschotic in making sure I have it.

If you feel you "need" to carry something, I think this is best. Granted, i still can't get it past some security guards, but anywhere else is ok. I could imagine UK laws are as strict here, it's pretty illegal to carry a concealed knife, and that will only get you into some serious trouble (even if you fight off an attacker, if you kill him or seriously injure him he can still charge you)

But don't underestimate it just because it's not sharp. It'll crush bone, stop people in their tracks, and with the right hits you can take someone out or kill them if necessary. I don't see how it would be, but I like living in my fantasy martial arts world.

7. fermento

fermento New Member

i always carry a pen, so i could utilise that as a weapon of sorts.

8. Kay

Kay New Member

I would say the most practical weapon i've come across is a good escrima stick, either alone or in pairs. They are a good average length (which varies a bit), dull and medium weight, and you can adapt escrima fighting to nearly any weapon - with an edge or without. I could easily pick up a good sized stick, a chunk of pipe, a wood board, etc, and use the same skills as I do with my sticks.

In fact i'd much rather have a couple sticks near my side than a gun - I like the non-lethal but lethal if needed style, guns always seem to go too far for defense.

9. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Steel toe capped boots

A good metal belt (can make a good spike if your lifes on the line) or can choke for a little more of a safe option and you will most likely have one on you

Pen

Knife or Fork (yes fork) I have the scar from a fork attack - long story!

Stones or bricks.

Easy things you are possibly gonna have near.

10. GeeMac

GeeMac Valued Member

The most 'practical' weapon, in my opinion, is the brain. You always have it with you and it can usually get you out of situations without having to fight if you apply it correctly.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2006
  11. Pitfighter

Pitfighter Valued Member

Ok obviously the brain is the best weapon but in the most general sense but if you mean actually mean a tangible weapon gotta say a gun. If you don't want shoot someone I gotta go with the cane or something else similar like a crow bar has way better range than a knife or steel toed boots. I'd personally try to use a cane though has the same range as a piper or crow bar but it's more styling and it might not look so bad in court if you accidently kill your attacker.

12. Sonshu

Your not likely to have a gun with you and a brain alone if you cant fight wont stop the guy punching you so it might be better going for more common items.

13. paradoks

paradoks New Member

The art of the Walking stick (by Paradoks)

The older gentlemans art

I am obviously comming into this thread late (after 7 or so pages late!) but i would like to comment. I would like to say first of all, that i have not read all answers. I think i got two-3 pages in, and then decided to comment. So with that in mind, my apologies if i say something that has been said allready.

In my opinion, the good old walking stick is a fantastic choice. I have studied Jodo, iaido, and walking stick(the older gentlemans arts' some refer to it as)
    and believe it is a great choice.

other then the fact that i find the weapon very effective, there is the legal issue. (i do not advocate breaking the law, and it is my view that as long as you do not carry the walking stick with the intention of attacking, but defence only..let me say that again SELF DEFENSE ONLY, you are not doing something wrong at all.

In the past while walking through known crime areas in Melbourne with my W.S, i have been approached by police. They of course ask "what are you carrying that for!" and the answer i often used "oh, i pulled my hami somethin awful playin soccer! so i'm using my dads stick" (being italian, they often go for the soccer thing :p)
    They might sometimes suspect that is not true, but in the words of Alonzo (Denzel) in Training day.."its not what you know! its what you can prove!".
    And with that in mind, they dont even 'know'. they simply 'suspect'.
    When i'd walk away i would of course lean on the stick a little, and put a slight limp in my step (you dont wanna over do it! but it should be noticable :p)

Before anyone like my known MAP nemesis :p attack the fact that this is breaking the law, to the best of my understanding it is in fact not. It is legal to carry walking aids. Though your intent to defend yourself is not the intent the stick is designed for, if you are attacked and you use anything you are carrying lawfully to defend yourself (within reason of course) you are not breaking the law (to the best of my knowledge, regarding Australian Law)

I believe it is immoral to carry the stick with the intent of 'going out and looking for trouble' and in this case, i do not advocate its use or possesion, not to mention this could cast a nagative light on other more honourbale M.A'ists who study the W.S as a M.A weapon.

Regarding the fellow who joked about fighting with a shoe :p as funny as it sounds, i've known instructors to suggest it seriously! they suggested using your shoes to protect your hands when attacked with a knife. This to an extent made sense to me...but then i wondered, how long would it take to take off both shoes, and put them on your hands and be ready to defend yourself? I would think that by the time you managed to do this, your attacker would have either stabbed you, or left the scene. But again, that is just my opinion.

Other then its practicality, the walking stick is a lovely art. I have won several tournaments (weapons kata, and demo devision) with walking stick kata's, and the applications of this weapon are vast. It is possible to use many methods used in Jodo, some arnis, escrima (stick fighting) methods, and even some Bo methods (at least with the larger jo's).

The hook on the end of the walking stick also creates other methods, to sweep, to trap, etc. I personally would choose this weapon over many many others.

Take care, be well, and enjoy the arts.

Paradoks

The views in this post are not shared by MAP admin/moderators, or members. These are the views of the posts writer and nobody else. The law in different states, and countrys varies, and before attempting any method or belief in this post, you should seek legal advice. MAP, its agents, users, and the author take no responsibilty for injury, loss of life, or any legal proceedings. Use of any information is at your own risk, and responsibility. In other words..."dont blame me! if you get busted or hurt! ya own ya own son! :p)

be well ;)

14. Sonshu

I would go so far as saying that with you being 29 or so carrying a stick just lowers your cool factor a lot.

Sticks on 30'ish year olds should only be seen at weddings and pop videos! :D

15. Your belt. Get one with a heavy metal buckle. Fold it over. Grip the end and.... WHACK!

You find me the guy who doesn't fall unconscious when that smacks them in the temple.

16. paradoks

paradoks New Member

Hey you! Sonshu!!!

First of all, on a serious note, if you limp a lot on one leg its convincing enough that you're injured regardless of age!
    Secondly, Im a pimp brutha! the walkin stick goes well wit my super smoove player image! ya feel me! :p

how about a comment on the skilful informative post i just wrote son!!! blahhhh! :D

17. 187

187 New Member

I personally carry my pocket knife at all times. I'm even kind of compulsive about making sure that i have it accesible. I carry it to the mall, weddings, mountain biking.............just not swimming.

And i always have under the seat of my car a hand turned oak 24" baton.(or my glock) :D

18. 187

187 New Member

Almost forgot. The other posters that said keys were right on the button. We teach for our women's self defense course that these are usually their #1 source of some level of protection when carried with the longest key jutting from their fist between the middle fingers.

19. Sonshu

If you need a stick then thats fine but if you need a stick then your are not likely to be overly mobile and then its even more reason to take greater steps to avoid physical confrontations. If I am carrying an injury then I will do what I can to keep myself further from harms way.

Its good to learn to use the stick as its an effective weapon but not something I would advise people in the UK to have as its a pretty dangerious thing unless you genuinly need it.

20. B.Graham

B.Graham New Member

I would just say a knife. It fits right into your pocket and you just whip it out if you get in trouble.