What do you think is the most practical 'street' weapon?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Weasel, Oct 20, 2004.

1. Weasel

Weasel New Member

I love the broadsword dealie because it's so cool, but can you imagine how badly you would get slaughtered in court if you actually attacked someone with it... :D Everyone's seen Highlander by now.

I've never seen anyone who's any good at broadsword actually swinging one around- you should post video. :D I imagine you'd be well stuffed if the other guy had a knife, though.

{Please don't use profanity, even if it is filtered - Gaskell}

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2004
  2. CrimsonDemon

CrimsonDemon Valued Member

Yeah, I actually would. Though if I had a viable witness that said they attacked first and I only attacked to defend, they having my broadsword against me would never even help. Besides, the only badly thing I could imagine is how often I'd find use for it, which will be a pain if I unsheathe it in semi-public. Now that I could get slammed with.

But not really on the knife deal. I've faced someone with a knife while I had my claymore. They lost real quick because I could easilly keep distance and my blade was too sharp for them to grab onto(even for a claymore).

3. tekkengod

tekkengod the MAP MP

in all seriousness and reality, a knife, a tactical folder

4. Cudgel

Cudgel The name says it all

ummm ok yes u carry ur braod sword and see how fast u get cut up by a mna with knife. Not becasue the braodsword is bad weapon. I dearly love edged weaposn of the single handed and two handed varieties, but aknife is faster on the draw as u commented on on about ur 1.9 sec drawwith ur knife.
    I have actaully been defieted by a mna with longish knife while using a greatsword about 5 feet intotal length, granted hes deadly good wiht his dagger, and I have bested many oheres with the same or a slightly shoter version of it using distance and timming. And since I live in Californina can could conceivlably carry sword as long as its open carry iwth no peace ties needed, wold I? No I find the sowrds most comfortable for me to weidl are most unccomfortable for my to carry around, I spent an entire Ren faire being uncomfortable cuz my blade kept being knocked into by people. Sure u could always carry it on ur back but have u ever tried to draw a blade longer than 24 inches froma bck scabbard? I have its.....basically imposible unless u get some funky carry sytem. And there is the whole legla BS u have to deal with if u are forced to use in Self defence. u would be better off carrying a stick of suitlbe weight and lenght and using ur sword skills ith it.

5. Nightstrike

Nightstrike MMA Nerd

Wimpy answers.
    I'd say a good ol switchblade or butterfly knife or a .357 magnum.

6. Tribalweapon

Tribalweapon Valued Member

I am going to have to agree with someone earlier and say steel toe boots and keys as I always have them on me.

7. CrimsonDemon

CrimsonDemon Valued Member

That's what I'm forced to do right now, stick/baton or what not. And I've already figured up something for a good broadsword strap aleady. It's not gonna even be close to how they carried old flamberges around in frogs, now those are pains. I'm actually quite used to swords in their entirity, carrying them, using, drawing, unbrandishing. And I'm been in the case where I had to be out of the way of the knife just like you mentioned in your post above. It's not a matter of your blade, it's a matter of how you use it. I can't speak for anyone else, though.

But then again, I want to become the deadliest weapon to have ever walked the face of the earth..

Stay with the flashlight..

8. Godhand

Godhand New Member

as odd as this sounds, especially as i'm a young'n (17) i'd have to say a rattan cane. A friend's father, who is also coincedentally a 3rd dan, asked me to come at him with him only having a cane after he went to a 3 hour seminar. I was on my ass so fast it wasn't funny, got rapped upside the head then swept by leverage. got the cane between my legs and pushed my shoulder while moving the cane. best thing is, you just say you have a medical condition and they'll allow it literally anywhere. reach is longer than a knife, strong enough to take a knife slash, and fairly light weight. well that's my two cents.

9. Kallio

Kallio New Member

Sounds quite lethal. But would you be happy wandering around the streets with a big cane? I'm still saying that a belt is a fairly practical and obtainable weapon.

10. old timer

old timer Just well worn !

My fists correctly applied to the wind pipe, always have them with me !

11. Weasel

Weasel New Member

I've been toying with the belt idea myself, and it seems to be alright against someone of similar size. My hands really aren't fast enough to move the belt into position around the target without first using softening techniques, and that's a problem as I see it.

12. Godhand

Godhand New Member

i didn't mean a big cane, just an ordinary walking cane. quite potent really.

13. silentwarrior

silentwarrior Valued Member

i think a maglight is very good. also someone siad butterfly knive or switchblade. yes they are very deadly weapons as they can be drawn very fast. however when i think about what would make a good weapon on the street i think 3 things. first how often will i have it on me, is it legal and how much of an uproar will it make if seen in public. yes butterfly knives and switchblades are legal to carry in some states i think but if you used that against someone even while legitamantly defending yourself, you are gonna be asked what you were doing with one and why you feel you need to carry one with you. thats why i would rather carry a good folder like a spyderco that can be flicked out fast but is not spring assisted and is considered a good utility knife. Thats also why i like the tactical telescoping batton someone asks what it is then you say flashlight cause thats what it looks like folded up no more quistions asked.

14. K_Coffin

K_Coffin New Member

Silentwarrior - In Canada, I know you can own the ASP batons, but any (And I mean any) use of them in a fight will have you charged with assault with a weapon. If it's self defense you might get off, but have a good time explaining why you were walking around carrying something with no utility value at all (Doesn't matter what it looks like).

15. ToRNaDo LorD

ToRNaDo LorD New Member

One of those cane sword thingy's. If your one of those blacky gangsta big bad boy pimpin dudes get one of those cane swords like a cobra or something.

16. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

The most practical "Street Weapon" is the ability, through realistic training, to use "Weapons of opportunity" in a functional manner.

17. hazzamoffin

hazzamoffin New Member

I believe that the three most effective weapons in any fight a speed, skill and sense, that said I found that pretty much any weapon, when showed with intent to use, is an effective deterent to most attackers. Most random thing i've ever used is a piece of guttering pulled off the wall outside of a nightclub. One quick thrust in the chest and he soon ****ed off.

I'm not a big lover of carrying weapons, but finding them on an everyday occurance is okay. In a pub i sit on the wobbly seat, so that i caneasily pull of the legs if a need something. Walking late at night i look for large branchs, bin lids, anything that might have an effective practical use.

However, for any street fight i got to go with my favourite, the easily concealablealways handy weapon of . . . spit.

Human nature means most people drop there guard insult you and start wiping off spit, when used against the face. After that grab him by the nuts, twist and lift, and then run. A bit girly i know, but it gets you out safe, which is always my first priority.

18. James Brunton

James Brunton New Member

A tin of beans in a plastic bag, if ur expecting trouble. Other than that I allways carry a pen in my pocket. An instructor of mine said he used to practice flicking/throwing coins at face sized targets. j

19. tsukikage

tsukikage New Member

I'd say the most effective street weapon is the one closest at hand. Rather than focusing on a specific weapon I'd rather be good at using whatever is available to maximum effect. I don't think it's possible to guarantee what will be around or the specific circumstances of a confrontation... That being said I think the best thing to do for a modern study of weapons is look at how common items can be used as weapons, not just flashlights, etc, but anything...

20. Stolenbjorn

Stolenbjorn Valued Member

I will never understand you americans; you actually have to arm yourself for the streets? You should do somthing with your violence tendencies :rolleyes:
    Take last tuesday, for instance, an american accidentaly shot his girlfriend in the arm when he was shooting after a mouse that had been harassing him...
    Come on; what's wrong with you people? And you lobby for beeing allowed to have weapons everywhere?
    I train broadsword, longsword, dagger and wresteling, but not as self defence! I would never dream of bringing my sharp longsword on the street, not to mention a pistol/revolver HELLO, GUYS THEESE THINGS CAN KILL, didn't you know? I have my longsword for martial arts reasons, not self defence-reasons.

That said; I want to comment on the knife vs. broadsword in a self defence-situation:
    If I could choose, I'd go for the broadsword, provided the weapons was drawn on beforehand, and that we were outdoors (on the street) why? The broadsword can be used as a dagger by halfswording, you can stay out of the daggers range by retreating and deliver thrusts towards the knifehand, and if it was a real situation, I would not use energy to stop the blow when dealing with the daggerguy as I do when I sparr. It's pretty easy to go full contact with a dagger contra a broadsword, as it's 1,5kiloes and 90cm are harder to stop than a 35cm knife. Finally, you allso have the psycological aspect; I know that I would not attack a dude with 90 cm of sharp steel in his hand unless I had a **** good reason.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2004