what do you think about judo using as self defense

Discussion in 'Judo' started by cryo, Sep 29, 2003.

1. hkphooey

hkphooey New Member

No reason to be sorry about anything, we are all here to talk, ask questions and to sometimes disagree. You're almost there. Kano made his way through the ranks of several styles of Jujitsu, and at that time the training was hard-core no pulling punches, locks or throws, so everyone was always geting hurt. He didn't see the sense in constantly huring your training partner, because you can't train if either one of you are broke. Kano wanted a style that you could train in while still maintaining your health, as well as a system that did not rely on total strength to defeat your opponent. He wasn't a big man himself and wanted a way for smaller, and people not as strong, to be able to defend themself. He didn't create Judo to just be a sport. That is actually how they tested themsleves, by going out and challenging others.

Ken

2. cryo

cryo New Member

I think that's happening to most of the martial arts. People are trained more and more on tournament and less onn the perpous of the art (like defending your self).

3. Em-em

Em-em I wanna go home!

what's wrong with that? :)

4. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Nothing if that's what you want out of the art. Everything if what you want is self defence and what you're being taught is tournament stuff.

Just though I'd mention that when Kano founded Judo he wouldn't even have known about karate.

As has already been mentioned, Judo was modified Jujutsu (originally Kano Jujutsu) which used similar techniques, but with emphasis on throwing the opponent onto his back during training, rather than, say, face first into the floor. Essentially he created an art that could be practised at full speed by anyone, with little risk of serious injury.

5. saikyou

saikyou New Member

And they were succesful! In 1886, a huge public match was held. The Kodokan faced other Jujitsu schools and won.

I would like to say something about atemi. Kano wanted to devise a free-fighting method in w/c atemi and throws are legal but he never came up w/ anything satisfactory. I guess it's really hard to mix throws w/ striking the way that Kano wanted it. A competition w/ a huge emphasis on throws.

6. cryo

cryo New Member

I gues you're right about the tournaments but I still think you shoulnd traine ownly on tournaments but still keep in mind what the art was ment fore.

7. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

As regards to Kano incorparating atemi into his Judo thats the route that Tomiki, a Judo Dan grade/aikido Dan grade and friend of Kano took with his Aikido system of randori in the Shodokan system.

You should watch a bout sometime.

Col

8. jonsku

jonsku New Member

Many people consider judo techniques "safe" and "non-violent", because of lack of striking/kicking etc. but I think that judo being a safe art does not make it ineffective. Of course, in dojo, when you throw your buddy to the relatively :D soft tatami, he knows how to perform an ukemi so he won't get hurt. Now imagine throwing someone who doesn't know an ukemi to a concrete.. ouch.. :D Not to mention that you, as a skilled judoka, can modify your throw so the opponent falls to his head, which may just kill him. But you can also modify the throw to be more humane, eg. koshi-guruma, where you can protect his head, but he is still going to get the wind knocked out of his lungs. In many striking arts you cannot control the power and effect your techniques like this.

just my 2 cents...
    jonsku

9. saikyou

saikyou New Member

I agree with jonsku. I guess that the best throws for a street fight are hip throws(koshi guruma, uki goshi, O goshi) they are very easy to do.

Yeah, you could do some serious damage with an opponent who will land on a concrete floor and does not know ukemi.

10. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I've had great success with O soto gari and harai goshi.

Col

11. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

I think the easiest and probably one of the queickest street throws is actually Ko Soto Gari. It's not a hugely popular throw in competition, I know, but on the street you can use all sorts of nasty tricks to break the opponent's balance, like grapping round the head with your fingers in the opponent's windpipe, eye socket or under the nose. Very difficuly to resist a balance break like that, anf one you have the balance the foot sweep is pretty much redundant. Just makes them hit the ground harder.

12. saikyou

saikyou New Member

yeah. a lot of guys doesnt know how to stop a reap. try not to let go of uke's arm. finish with an armlock.(only applicable if there are no other attackers)