what do you think about judo using as self defense

Discussion in 'Judo' started by cryo, Sep 29, 2003.

1. cryo

cryo New Member

I think Judo must be combined with an other stile to be of any use if someone attacks you.

2. saikyou

saikyou New Member

I disagree. But out out of curiosity, why do you think that judo can't be effective for self-defense purposes?

3. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Depends on the Judo. Some Judo is very self-defence based, and it is a good style to learn. The competition style on its own isn't the most useful self-defence art, but as you say can be good when combined with something else.

4. Adam

Adam New Member

I agree with both Aegis and cryo. The judo I take would get me butchered if I tried to fight an attacker like in the dojo as it is heavily competition and groundfighting based. From what I've seen of judo, there aren't many people my age in the art whom I'd be truly intimidated to take on.

5. cryo

cryo New Member

I think you can't use ownly Judo when you're defending your selfe becous most of the time you can't get a good grip on someone so you have to know a nother style to hold of your opponent till you can throw him in a way of wich you're sure he will fall and you'll be able to hold him down or to get away

6. judojedi

judojedi Officer of the Crown

well its already been covered, some judo styles can be used for self-defence, indeed the nage-no-kata is very self defence orientated apart from the last two sets. competition style could still be used for defence but would greatly enhanced by the introduction of a striking art such as kickboxing or kung-fu. i think kick-boxing would suit a judoka better than karate, kung-fu or TKD.

7. cryo

cryo New Member

why do you think kick boxing suits judoka better then karate, kung-fu or TKD. I stardet with judo and know a whole lod of other styles to and they work find by me.

8. judojedi

judojedi Officer of the Crown

well i find that with judo, you get taught the technique, then modify it to your own preference(freedom). i tried karate and found it to restrictive and repetative and "you must do it like this!" attitude from the instructors. same in the other arts i mentioned. it may be the case that this is down to the individual club/style or that this method is a better way of teaching, it just don't suit me or other judoka's in the clubs i go to. kick boxing also has freedom to do the technique how you (the practioner) want. kick boxers motto : dont dance, just get the job done!

not to say those other styles wouldn't mix with judo, they almost certainly do, but if you only know judo and are looking to cross train, then kick boxing would probably be easier to incorporate. whereas if your comming from another martial art into judo, you'd have no real problem.

9. hkphooey

hkphooey New Member

One of the best aspects of Judo for Self Defense is that you are applying pressure to a resistant person. You are learning aggression and are becoming accustomed to feeling another persons aggression. When contact is added into your training it makes a big difference and Judo has major contact.

Ken

10. saikyou

saikyou New Member

yeah. also, if you can apply your technique fast enough, the attacker will not have a chance to retaliate.

11. cryo

cryo New Member

I'm not saying Jodu isn't good for self defence (actually I think it's really good for self defence). But ownly Judo isn't enough when someone is trying to hit you between the eyes.

12. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

In its original form it would be. The original Judo syllabus contained blocking, striking and the throws/locks still present in competetive Judo, as well as the ones now banned.

13. Em-em

Em-em I wanna go home!

Why would the Japanese Police force tap it as their official martial arts if they can't use it to protect themselves and to pin down 'bad people'? Judo was taught to stop your opponent at the least time as possible, not hurt your opponent. If you add kickng and punching then the real essence of modern judo will be gone.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2003
  14. saikyou

saikyou New Member

Yes. I agree with that. The cops here in the Philippines are also using Judo as their MA. Em-em, are you familiar with the NBI Judo Club?(judo club of the cops here in the Philippines)

There are Judo Techniques against an armed attacker. check this out:
    http://www.judoinfo.com/katakime.htm
    and this one:
    http://www.judoinfo.com/katagosh.htm

try to look for the part(on the scond link) where a judoka beats an opponent with a gun.

15. Em-em

Em-em I wanna go home!

Hmmm, must be new. Never heard, but I know that a police training academy (i dunno if it was in Laguna or Santolan) practice Karate. My dad is going to retire in the PNP force sometime soon and he was never trained in Judo.

I think the PNP should practice FMA instead. I mean just like the Jap Police Force, they used their own art.

Judo is applicable in Japan because guns and ammo is illegal in their country. Looking for a gun in japan is like looking for a pin in a haystack. . .

Last edited: Oct 1, 2003
  16. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

some technques in judo can be used for a streetfight yet of course, there are limitations. IMO, the best arts to be cross trained with judo would be boxing, muay thai, kickboxing and yaw-yan

17. cryo

cryo New Member

I don't know how thinks are in Japan, but if you get is trubble in my courty and you ownly know Judo you don't stand a chance.

18. hkphooey

hkphooey New Member

Cryo
    You are are correct in some ways and you are definitely doing the right thing by questioning a system. Judo does have strikes in it, and they can be effective, though adding a striking art can make a big difference. If you don't have time to cross train, then when you have time of your own work on hand strikes, knees, elbows and low-line kicks. I always practice my striking on my own time no matter what training I'm into.

With a good Judo instructor, one not solely competition teaching, they can show you how to apply your skills to the street.

Modern Judo? Is that the same thing as modern TKD. Used to be a combat system then converted to a sport. Kano tought Judo in its purest form and he also integrated it into self defense. Anyone can correct me on that if I'm wrong.

Just to let you know, I'm not even a Judo player. I've only had one private lesson, and continueing, and the reason I am now doing Judo is because I have stated it was a good skill to acquire many times and I finally took my own advice.

You definitely have to look at the difference between and the mat and the street, and train both ways or just one. Its all about what you want.

Ken

19. saikyou

saikyou New Member

A friend told me that by the time of President Marcos(both of us where not born yet) cops are already learning judo. Maybe the club was established recently. well, im not sure about that.
    agree. but if you remember the thread in the FMA (the one that you started) Juramentado said that we Filipinos prefer foreign MA than our own MA.

Ok back to Judo. Here's the problem:
    The majority of people only sees the sport form of judo.

20. Em-em

Em-em I wanna go home!

I thought Kano developed Judo because he saw karate and others as [very] violent sports? Sorry about that, actually I don't play Judo. I just joined one orientation and I didn't continued.