What do you prefer most when it comes to avoiding an attack?

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Saved_in_Blood, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I found moving to a nice respectable middle class area requires me to smile and say 'good morning' more often. I recommend it :)

2. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

About 20-50cm from you and probably mid way through throwing a haymaker at your face? Well it will be worth a laugh.

That's a mid-fight check on someone you've repelled, not a preemptive technique.

Have you seen my video on kicking under pressure in scenario simulations?

3. EdScissorhands

EdScissorhands New Member

Oh yeah - I forgot that bit. :D

Another one I've always fancied trying was striking the opponents shoulder so there's no power in their strike...

Taunting and teasing the attacker, basically, that's my strategy :p

No, do you have a link.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  4. John Titchen

Warning - contains swearing right from the start.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PCBEHi49OU"]Kicks in Self Defence Scenario Simulations - YouTube[/ame]

I can't stress enough how many videos we've shot didn't make it into that movie because they had no kicks. The people who do kick are the ones who are used to kicking at this range under pressure.

PS There are TKD guys in this movie, but they never kick. :evil: Experienced ones used to working at close range knee.

5. EdScissorhands

I'll take a look at the vid in detail later.

Funnily enough, both my brothers have used kicks in self-defense situations effectively.

In one case an attacker was intercepted with a front snap kick to the belly - fight ended immediately.

In the other case a TKD turning kick to the chest - in this case the attacker was pre-empted, and was not expecting anything, which, I guess, is how there was time for a flashy kick. I believe my brother was making a statement with the choice of technique i.e. "just imagine what I could really do" and "NEVER attempt that again, you idiot!". The guy looked like a complete muppet - it knocked him flat on his back. (My bro' was a black belt in TKD and national champion at the time - I've grown up around a lot of fighters and violence).

6. EdScissorhands

I think sometimes we forget, a lot of time these people who fight don't train...that's not to say we shouldn't test our skills against the best opponents though.

7. John Titchen

Generally your experienced untrained person kicking off will own most trained people (if they have no experience of real violence) because the majority of martial arts don't train for SD effectiveness but for health benefits. Given that statistically you are more at risk of poor health due to lack of exercise than you are of being a victim of an assault, that's not necessarily a bad thing.

8. EdScissorhands

I know what you mean - perhaps it's true, perhaps it's not true.

I doubt a wide-scale experiment has ever been conducted.

What I do know is ... This tips the scales heavily:

Wanting to fight Vs. Not wanting to fight

The "wanting to fight" person has things heavily weighed in their favor.

Next level:

Prepared to escalate Vs. Not prepared to escalate

The "prepared to escalate" has things heavily weighed in their favor.

And so on and so fourth, as applies on the same reasoning into infinity :D

9. HarryF

HarryF Malued Vember

Groin shot at 1:51... Ouch... Or: good sell by role player!

10. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Which is precisley why you should never ask just anyone for advice on self-protection

11. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

Oddly enough, I actually asked my instructor the other night if he would ever use a lead leg kick on his way in with an SD situation. He said he would not because you don't know how the opponent would react and there is no guarantee he will go down or that your accuracy would be good enough in that split second to go with. He told me to approach him and attempt to hit him, so I did it with a standard straight right hand and before I knew it... he had his hand on my throat, his foot right behind me and I was looking at lights :cry:

I will add that he didn't hit me in the throat to hurt me... it was like a tiger mouth push instead of strike.

12. Unreal Combat

Unreal Combat Valued Member

Fixed that for you. :D

13. Saved_in_Blood

This might be true, but I know with my personality... or I would even take a guess without knowing Hannibal personally that you get that instant snap when you know it's gonna go down. I will admit that at that time, I want to hurt you, and will do anything to do so.

14. Hannibal

It isn't so much a snap as it is a well conditioned visceral response - "snap" implies a loss of control ("rage"), whereas I just drop into "go time" mode very, very quickly and can drop out of it in the same way

15. Saved_in_Blood

Admittedly, I can't drop out of it that fast :-/

16. Hannibal

Like any skill/attribute it takes practice

17. THEFOREVERMAN

THEFOREVERMAN Banned Banned

I obviously depends on the situation. Combining all appendage moving and outside the punch, you can deliver a breaking arm blow with your elbow. Fight over

18. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Oh , it was real :whistle:

19. EdScissorhands

Jeet Kune Do interception?

20. THEFOREVERMAN

THEFOREVERMAN Banned Banned

Groin shots should only be used in a defense fight or along those lines