What do you prefer most when it comes to avoiding an attack?

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Saved_in_Blood, Jan 14, 2014.

1. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

Getting out of the way is pretty much always the highest percentage move defence wise. Any kind of trapping/blocking/interception etc has the potential to go wrong.

2. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

What's your reasoning behind this?

I'd say it comes down to what you train. Someone who has trained parrying and trapping to death, but has not practiced much evasion, I would expect to have a higher percentage chance of making trapping and parrying work for them, and vice-versa.

Though the whole-body big-stepping kind of blocks you see in some krotty and such do look to be far too slow to have any hope of stopping someone hitting you, trapping and parrying can be faster than evading.

Of course, you can always go belt-and-braces and do both simultaneously.

3. holyheadjch

If your body is out of range, you can't be hit. By all means, get your hands up to block as you are moving away, but no one's blocks are impenetrable and trapping is a lottery even if you are good at it.

4. David Harrison

Yes, I can't fault your logic, but your percentages will directly reflect your practice. That's all I'm saying.

5. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

Yes, I suppose I wasn't really thinking of it in that way.

6. holyheadjch

You'll never be as good at trapping as you are at getting yourself out of the way.

7. Saved_in_Blood

With some of the reasons given here is the reason why I have decided to add some MT training to my CHKD because there are many moves in CHKD that use elbows and knees... and even the standard boxing punches as well. I think that MT seems to be the perfect addition to my current art based on these reasons.

For me it's difficult because when I was 24-25 or so I got heavily into bag work as my cardio. I also recorded and watched fights constantly. Nothing wrong with this of course... but in CHKD, there isn't a lot of head movement, but anytime we work on blocking, trapping etc.. I always move my head and they don't really encourage that. I just feel like if I move my head and still use the trapping method then perhaps I'm less likely to get hit. I think the issue is that with one style and the other if I am moving my head and trapping, it can throw me off balance. This is a bad thing of course, but I just can't seem to break that habit.

8. Saved_in_Blood

Both become based off of reaction, but the most simple method is IMO what your body will more naturally do IMO, so I can agree with this.

9. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

You'll never be as good at getting out of the way as you will at avoiding the situation.

You'll never be as good at getting out of the way/out of range at the range and timing that most SD situations occur as you will at covering, crashing, smothering, trapping or entering.

10. holyheadjch

I agree, but I thought we were talking about situations where you failed to avoid the situation
    Hmm, I'm not convinced, but you're not the person I want to be going up against on this particular topic.

11. David Harrison

Ok, well I guess we know your preference.

But take SiB's CHKD comment above: if you just learn trapping and blocking, and head movement and boxing-style evasion is actively discouraged (I'm guessing because they want to concentrate on keeping a solid base for throws & locks), do you think those people who haven't even practiced evasion will still have a higher percentage chance with evading vs. doing what they're trained to do?

12. David Harrison

Because he might change your mind?

I can't get my head around your comment :confused:

13. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

I'm not saying that you shouldn't practice getting out of the way, but in many ways it is a low % factor.

At the distance that most things kick off, whether not you have surrounding space in your c70 - 290, and freedom of movement, the combination of distance, reaction time, biomechanics and the direction your feet are pointing mean that moving forwards is the fastest and safest strategy.

Now you can duck (and angle) as you do so, and depending on their attack (or your preempt) you may end up outside or inside, but the best and most successful high % way to be 'out of range' is to be 'in range' but either too far inside their circle of influence (because their arms are extended) or 'in range' but outside those arms (and again too far inside their circle of influence).

14. David Harrison

This shutting-down of another's options (including trapping during the transition inside or outside) is something that I find is very hard to bring out in a traditional sparring setup, but works very well in reality or more realistic scenario training.

15. David Harrison

Also, it is a general rule-of-thumb for me that evasion only delays a problem, rather than solving it.

If a situation has come to the point whereby action is necessary, the most efficient action (to bring about your desired outcome) is the optimum action.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  16. holyheadjch

Because he knows far more about the subject than I do and I don't pick fights I know I can't win.

17. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Just virtually kick him in the goolies when he isn't looking then run off

18. David Harrison

Yeah.

It was the whole "scoring points against strangers on the internet is more important than learning from open debate" angle that had me stumped :confused:

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  19. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Because he only likes to prey on the weak! :D

20. David Harrison

It's a time-tested and winning technique!