What do you prefer most when it comes to avoiding an attack?

Discussion in 'Self Defence' started by Saved_in_Blood, Jan 14, 2014.

1. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

I put this here, but whether it be a ring situation, an SD one, sparring, etc.

Do you prefer trapping? Such as moving to the outside of the punch.
    Staying on the inside and using a more circle type of block and counter, perhaps using a strike to the bicep, an elbow strike or something else?
    Boxing type of defense with hands up and head movement?

I'm just getting an idea what people like the most and why. I think a lot about how I would avoid shots more so than how I would deliver them. Better defense it seems might deter an attacker more and maybe or hopefully, make them more inclined to give up. This is simply a guess.

I know like most anything, there is no hard and fast rule really, and all of the above, plus more, would be better. Only a "if you could only pick one, which would you choose" type of thing.

2. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Do you want answers for a ring situation, an SD one or sparring?

The answer is important because the type of attacks and therefore the likely 'best' tactics differ.

Thinking about 'avoiding shots' is all well and good, but the best way to avoid shots is to be out of the line of fire, making it hard for your opponent to hit you, and delivering effective fight ending techniques.

3. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

I guess the smartass answer would be: awareness.

Otherwise, without context it is impossible to answer.

My preferred method is whatever is optimum at that time. That depends on too many variables to give a stock answer.

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I tend to hit them first - that usually avoids their attack

Yes I am serious

5. Rhythmkiller

Rhythmkiller Animo Non Astutia

Are you serious????/:eek:

I tend to stay out of striking distance when sparring, depending on the opponent though that gap can be closed fairly quickly. Also is running an option?

Baza

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  6. EdScissorhands

EdScissorhands New Member

It depends upon the level of escalation and upon the opponent, and number of opponents.

If the situation is considered extremely dangerous i.e. could seriously wound or kill me, then that person must be taken out immediately. If multiple opponents suggests the same, then the same goes.

If the attacker is known to me, untrained and less strong - opposite end of the scale - then the idea would be to restrain or ward off the opponent.

There are so many variables - perhaps if you add some variables to contemplate?

I wish I could move like a boxer though :D

7. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

I assumed that SiB had narrowed it down to that minority of situations where things can only go physical.

8. Saved_in_Blood

Hmmm, well ok.. typical drunk that just won't leave you alone and throws a wild looping haymaker.

I'm thinking of other scenarios

9. Hannibal

straight line interception

10. Saved_in_Blood

This is under the impression that you have attempted to avoid an SD situation and a punch is thrown.

@ Hannibal... I'm curious based on your response about hitting them first... how do you come to the conclusion that you need to hit them first? Doesn't that make you the aggressor?

11. David Harrison

From what angle?

How prepared are you for the attack?

The answer to everything is context dependent.

Being behind your opponent is usually good though :)

12. Saved_in_Blood

I will have to take some videos and show you all what I mean with some of what we work on and people can look and critique.

13. EdScissorhands

Same answer:

14. David Harrison

No, just faster.

Intercepting fist, and all that.

15. Hannibal

No it doesn't

In legal and moral terms the essence is that you do not initiate; this is not the same as not throwing the first shot

Pre-emptive action is legal and advisable if a situation is likely to go physical. If someone is displaying behaviour consistent with a subsequent attack (agression, language, posture etc..) then you shoudl be either running or fighting because it's about to go down

16. EdScissorhands

I didn't see this part of your description.

Just one person: Tai Chi humiliation style defense - attackedr hits the deck, with what looks like light-brushing, everyone laughs :D

17. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

I was in a situation like this not long ago when I went to school in Medicine Hat. One of our roommates, a real oil rig roid monkey had a few too meany drinks and wanted a peace of everyone in the room, grabbing, and pushing everyone he came in contact with. I managed to get him outside and talk him down. Didn't do much good, found out the next morning he got into it with someone down the block. :/

18. Hannibal

Ahh drunken Roughnecks....always hilarious

19. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

Personally I rather try and talk my way out of a SD situation and so far I've been very successful with this strategy.

This however
    Is fantastic. I was always under the impression that the person that starts the physical altercation is the one at fault.

As far as sparing goes, I've always been the guy to keep my distance and let the other guy be the aggressor, this gives me the chance to guage his range, speed and movement. I guess im passive until I need to be aggressive.

20. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

In the immortal words of Bas Rutten, "Everyone underestimates the kick to the groin." Goes for sparring and self defense, suckas.