What do you guys think?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Karate_Man_1288, Dec 17, 2004.

1. Karate_Man_1288

Karate_Man_1288 New Member

Hi my name is James Slavin, and I have been studing TSD for about 3 years now. I am 16 and I am a 2nd degree purple belt, and i am in the advanced class (due to my hard work and dedication). I know all forms up to Ro-hi, and train very hard. The test for either my green or red belt is on Jan 8, and is three hours long, instead of the usual 1 hour test (since i'm in the advanced class.

I am just looking for any helpful advice of how to prepare. I asked my sensei, and he says my forms and sparring are both looking great, but i cant help wondering if i can still improve more before the test. I have a brother and a friend I spar with (Brother = 18 yrs old, friend = 17 yrs old) and they both refuse to let me kick, but i still get hits in. If anyone has any advice, it would be greatly appreciated.

~Tang Soo~

2. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

you can make a makiwara if you have a garden, just search makiwwara on google and you should get how to build one, it's simple.
    as for forms once you have them clearly in your mind, no-way-i-can-forget-like, just practice the movements when you are walking about your house, like when you are bored, since with nothing occupying your mind you can concentrate noly on the movements, perfecting them more and more, also practice your breathing.

hope that helps

Fish Of Doom

3. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Find better sparring partners. If they won't let you kick, and you're testing in a Korean style like TSD, it's safe to say that sparring isn't as helpful as it could be. See if you can make arrangements to do some extra sparring after or before class at your dojang.

Stuart

4. Karate_Man_1288

Thanks for all of your advice, especially you Andy Cap. I have taken in what you have said and thought about it carefully. I take TSD at The Boys and Girls Club of Lower Nagutauk (sp) Valley. It is under a KidSafe program that I study TSD. It is possible that they added belts in just to keep in kids longer and collect more money. I have asked my teacher much, and he has answered. First off, it is the tradtional Korean TSD, instead of the American TSD, which was formed by the American masters of TSD, or so I have read. I know Pyung-ahn Oh-Dan to Ro-hi through my own self teaching. (my teacher has taught me Kee-Cho Il-Bu through Pyung-ahn Sa-Dan) the belts go white, yellow, orange, purple, blue, green, red, brown, black. I also plan to take JKD lessons over the summer since KidSafe doesnt go on at that time. Thanks again

5. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

Oh self taught hyung to Ro Hai? OK, I was wondering what happened there.

As for the belt system, yeah anything is possible, but don't listen to poppycock in terms of American Tang Soo Do versus Korean Tang Soo Do. I am a member of the American Tang Soo Do Association under an american instructor. For several years I was in teh International Tang Soo Do Federation under Chun Sik Kim, who obviously is a Korean. The ranking systems and form systems were identical.

Now that I know where your forms come from perhaps I can give one small piece of advice. Study the forms that are taught to you, and do not presume that it is time to learn the next yet. Just because you may know the movements of a form and even do them well does not mean you know the form. There is more to knowing a form than just being able to do teh movements.

Don't be so eager to advance, because you will find that once you get to where you thought you were going you may have taken a wrong turn somewhere. Take time and enjoy your growth and learning. If you think you are the best and have it all figured out, well you have a great lesson to learn indeed - humility.

check out the
    Dojang below. I know Grandmaster Ferraro and swear by the man. He is truly a great master of Tang Soo Do and if nothing else would be a great person to meet. Go and watch a class.

West Haven Academy of Karate in the Valley
    Instructor/Owner:
    Grandmaster Charles J. Ferraro
    (203) 924-2467
    50 Center Street
    Shelton, CT 06484
    Email: cferraro04@snet.net

6. Karate_Man_1288

That's exactly whay my teacher said, an i have been very humble. He said he appreciates my dedication, but says not to rush it, or i'll miss the most important lesson: patience.

My teacher was the 241st black belt coming out of headmaster Cheezik's (sp) teaching. I agree very much with all of your points, and train very dilligently. All of the students in the advanced class (except the me, and the brown and black belts) just walk through the forms, without power, exhales etc. I have tried to find better sparring partners, and a black belt from class is a freshman and goes to my high school. we are trying to find dates where we can train together before the test.

~Tang Soo~

7. Andy Cap

Andy Cap Valued Member

Master Cheezik? I have met him a couple of times through My instructor Master Byrne, and through Master Ferraro as well. From what I know of the man, he is a reputable instructor and martial artist.

As for how others train, yeah sometimes it is hard to find someone who is just as motivated and excited about martial arts. Talk with your instructor and stick to it. You sound like you are on the right path. Tang Soo!!