What do you guys think about Obama's Win?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by RyuNovanter, Nov 7, 2012.

1. RyuNovanter

RyuNovanter Valued Member

:topic: but yesteday I saw
    OBAMA win against Romney. Specifically for those of you who live in america, what do you guys think?
    FYI Im hoping to start a nice discussion not a political argument (like some people like :rolleyes: )
    I personally 'voted' for Obama but I respect everyone's decisions.

EDIT: I just realized I may have put this in the wrong category sorry!

2. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

better the devil you know than the one you dont?

3. RyuNovanter

BINGO!

4. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I'm very hopeful that this term will allow the President to make more headway on environmental issues. I'm concerned that it wasn't much of a topic during this election and has not seemed to be on the forefront of the President's mind. Unfortunately, given the current economic climate both nationally and internationally I suspect there isn't much political willpower that can be marshalled towards such a cause.

5. RyuNovanter

Good point. I do think this term will be much better both for individual and the country.

6. SuperSanity

SuperSanity The Hype

The end is nigh!

7. RyuNovanter

Run!!! :cry:

8. OwlMAtt

OwlMAtt Armed and Scrupulous

There seems to be a lot of disagreement about whether or not this is a big win for the President. Conservatives point to the fact that he only won the popular vote by about 2% (there have been much smaller margins), but looking at the map and the electoral vote count tells a very different story, I think.

Of the ten "swing states" where most of the candidates' time was spent, Romney only won one. Where it mattered, where they both knew they had to win, Obama beat Romney 9-1. What that means by extension is that pretty much the only states Romney won were the traditional Republican stronghold states. Now, Obama's wins in the "swing states" were by small enough margins that they didn't manifest themselves grandly in the popular vote count, but I like to think of it this way: if your team wins a playoff series in five games, it's going to be remembered as a decisive victory, even if they won by only a few points each time.

Lots of people are going to talk about how close this race was, but I think that they're missing the point. Where it mattered, Obama didn't just win, he dominated. Rather than denying that, Republicans should try to learn from it.

9. Haakon

Haakon Valued Member

It's interesting you use the game analogy. Obama did better at gaming the outdated, useless, electoral college. If we didn't have the absurd 'winner take all' system with the electoral votes but portioned them out according to the popular vote Obama would still have won, but it would have been 258 vs 270.

When it comes down to it he got 2% more of the popular vote. The people barely elected Obama over Romney, and Republicans gained even more seats in the House. Yesterday was hardly a resounding mandate for the Democrat agenda, even though they will try to spin it that way.

I think that unlike Clinton who moved towards the center after his re-election and was able to compromise with both parties, Obama and the democrats will refuse to do so and will continue to polarize the country, and keep the Republicans further right than center.

The country is still generally very split between urban and rural voters. 2012 County by County results:
    [​IMG]

10. micmacimus

micmacimus Valued Member

I think every time you talk about the popular vote you really need to weight it in terms of turnout. At the end of the day, slightly more than half the people who showed up preferred Obama, but only half the country bothers to show up. In other words, a quarter of the country liked Obama, slightly less than a quarter liked Romney and fully half stayed home or couldn't get out of work or any one of a million other reasons not to show up.
    The American electoral system needs a massive overhaul before we can even pretend that elected positions are representative of the people's will.

11. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

Accord to Chuck Norris the USA will be plunged into a 1000 years of darkness.

12. micmacimus

micmacimus Valued Member

Yeah, but Chuck's crazy.
    Here's a cracker from an Australian online news source, one of the more trusted/less partisan ones here.. [​IMG]

13. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

The percentage of popular vote really isn't that unusual I think (link).

I'm sure there were all sorts of factors at work. Romney had to drift to the right to appease the tea-baggers during the selection process and that worried moderates, he then had to drift back to the centre to gain broad appeal during the election and that worried right wingers and makes him look undecided. In reality I think he was probably a fairly moderate republican in some ways.

Obama outfought him tactically IMO. He had more people on the ground in the swing states and it showed. Factor in the "Devil you know" aspect and that's perhaps enough.

As for what he'll do now, domestically very little. He'll have to fight to get legislation through and has spent much of his political capital already. He'll run out of general goodwill at home as all second term presidents do. Expect to see him focusing more on foreign policy.

The Republicans have an interesting choice. They can either become more right wing and risk alienating more of the electorate, or they can drift to the centre in a deliberate attempt to court the vote. The problem with moving right is that they're responding to a demographic that is going to be increasingly irrelevant in the US. The huge increase in the Hispanic population is going to become increasingly important and I'm not sure that much of the traditional Republican agenda speaks to them.

The obvious problem of moving to the centre is the risk of losing their traditional supporters and losing the differentiation against the Democrats.

The fact that a president can win a second term after the worst economic crisis in a generation perhaps says more about the lack of appeal of the Republicans rather than the great popularity of the incumbent.

Mitch

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  14. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I'm excited! As a parent of a child with a "preexisting condition," Obama first gave me the ability to shop for health insurance for my family. Romney was threatening to roll back the advances of Obamacare.

With half of NYC flooded and New Jersey a federal disaster area, people might start paying attention.

15. John Titchen

John Titchen Still Learning Supporter

Has Florida finally declared then? The BBC are still only showing the results of 50 states.

16. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

The popular vote was so close because of the strategy the Obama campaign used. Basically, they lost a lot of support in big blue states in order to win votes in purple states.

If the election had been fought on the popular vote, they would have used a different strategy and won by a bigger margin.

17. RyuNovanter

It would appear so, wouldn't it?
    Funny because one of my friends were watching the electoral votes climb live, with popular votes climbing under each candidates face, and the popular vote was higher under romney when Obama first got over 270 votes. She was flipping out and well it was kindof funny :)

18. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

We'll see, my fingers are crossed, but I'm not very hopeful.

19. jorvik

jorvik Valued Member

Well I'm made up that Obama won, for the simple reason that he will keep bernanke on in the fed, and he in turn will keep printing money hyper inflate the US economy eventually ...and in 5 years or so it will crash and burn.which gives us a little time to stock up, now if Romney had of won he would have fired the bernank then all hell would have let loose..........as it is everybody has a little time to prepare........what with 47% of folks in the US dependent on State help Oby couldn't help but win.
    Chaos theory will tell you that....

20. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

your comments are not only beyond insulting but they're completely inaccurate and/or false.

i doubt you know anything about monetary policy and/or macro-economics. because if what you say is true, we should be in hyper-inflation after 3 rounds of quantitative easing. alas, we're not.

i voted for obama. i've never been given anything my whole life. my dad was a factory worker and my mom is still a waitress. my dad worked hard to help me and my 2 brothers and did what he could to help with our school (3 college graduates, one doctor, i also went to grad school). in order to go to school i had to work full-time (for undergrad and grad). my wife and i are actually in the top 10% income bracket. and you know what? i have absolutely no problem with some of my tax dollars going to: elderly retirement insurance, elderly medical care, medical care for poor people. why? because these programs have been proven to reduce poverty and create wealth for our society. when you're talking about mitt romney's 47% comment, this is who he's talking about, the elderly and the poor. those are the people that he, and apparently you, want to throw under the proverbial bus.

i'm thinking you can take your false narrative of "obama voters are moochers" and put it where the sun don't shine.

<normally i don't get so upset, but those comments are insulting. period>