What defines a Martial artist? (Taekwondo)

Discussion in 'Tae Kwon Do' started by matutor, Oct 19, 2015.

1. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

You think that the majority of people equate martial arts with effective fighting? I think most equate it with prancing about in pyjamas, Jet Li flying about on a wire, or Mr. Miyagi type self-improvement through platitudinal riddles and menial labour.

This all started with here:

Which just comes across, to me, as a no true Scotsman argument that has more to do with self image and ego than anything else.

2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Ask them. See what happens when there is a news feature or newspaper article.

MMA has placed martial arts in the public eye more than ever and what are they? Fighters

When a Pro-Wrestler has a martial arts gimmick it is seen as "something extra"

In D&D and other RPG's they are seen as "exceptional fighters"

In movies anyone fighting skilfully "does martial arts"

So claiming otherwise is a bit awry given that the mass market OVERWHELMINGLY defines "martial artist = good at fighting"

3. David Harrison

Maybe you're right. I'm not going out to take surveys to find out ;)

That still doesn't change the fact that most martial artists have no clue about war or fighting. A Karateka who wins gold in a kata competition isn't a martial artist now unless they have a scrap to prove it?

4. Hannibal

It isn't MY definition of choice, as I outlined earlier - you were the one who made the appeal to popular opinion as being definitive.....now look what has happened! :)

5. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

OK, My bad !

Few people on this forum would disagree with your definition of a martial art.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  6. David Harrison

:)

7. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

I think it's a question of practicality really. Which seems more practical? Regulating the use of the term "martial artist" the world over in perpetuity? OR being more specific about the practices you find value in and why?

To me, the first is a fool's errand.

8. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

You're sunk by your presentation honestly. Since so many people remarked that they didn't get past the 6-minute mark, I started skipping ahead. You have some good thoughts in there. And I share many of them, having started in taekwondo myself before going on to other styles.

Disclaimer: When I switched styles, it was theoretically to learn a new skillset and improve myself as a fighter. But I was getting pummeled by a classmate and friend. I could also have improved in taekwondo and that would have, in some ways, been a more effective way to get that particular monkey off my back.

Truthfully, as you point out later in the video, taekwondo provided a good foundation for many things I did later. I don't regret it for a moment.

That video should be reshot. With a SCRIPT. You know what you're trying to convey. People who make presentations for a living aren't up there winging it. They have a script. They may stray from it, but having a place to call home keeps them from straying too far and getting lost in the weeds. You guys needed to keep this more tightly focused on your actual points, many of which are solid.

Also, bear in mind that, while 15 years is not an inconsiderable length of time, a good deal of your audience is going to have more. So bear that in mind as you're uttering sentences like "we're going to inform you what martial arts are all about." Remember that many viewers are likely to have been where you are right now. And have either arrived at your view on their own or moved on from there. You're not done either. Believe me.

9. Tom bayley

Tom bayley Valued Member

Yep! Old, bald and opinionated. But still, it's not so bad if you consider the alternatives. :)

10. David Harrison

What, young, open-minded and with a full head of hair? :p

11. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

No kidding. If you could see my hair at the moment, you'd thank your lucky stars for baldness. ;)

Old and opinionated, I'm with ya. These mixed martial artists need to git off my lawn!

12. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

Chill dude... They just want to practice their shrimping :D

13. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

Yeah, but I live 10 minutes outside of DC. I don't actually have a lawn. It's just concrete. And broken glass. And lava. And scorpions.

Reap the whirlwind, shrimpers!!

14. Knee Rider

I'm just glad to hear that the city council have cleaned up the AIDS needles.

15. SWC Sifu Ben

SWC Sifu Ben I am the law

Which is easier? Having to explain every time that you actually train to use force or asking people every time if they use force when someone identifies as a martial artist...or having an accurate term to describe the people who do so?

If the term can't be recovered we need a commonly recognized modifier like 'functional' or 'combative' to denote the people who actually train to use force. Unspecific, verbose language, is inefficient and bad language.

I guess that's why the JKD folks started using the term "combative arts."

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  16. Knee Rider

The easiest thing is to recognise that when anyone - outside a discussion on the semantic - uses the term to describe themselves or others then they are more than likely a vainglorious delusional family friendly, remember.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2015
  17. David Harrison

There's no point.

A month later, that modifier will be used by dozens of mcdojos as part of their marketing spiel.

18. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

If people keep using the part of "martial", as meaning "war", then technically, only the military are "martial artists"

19. Hannibal

How about trainers of the military?

20. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Do they have previous military experience?