What competitions allow striking,throws & grappling but with safety gear/low contact?

Discussion in 'MMA' started by ronki23, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Whats a guest-poser?

2. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

me, when I visit other gyms :p

3. BRAWLER

BRAWLER Valued Member

Modeling is the most useless thing on the planet in my opinion.

4. Killa_Gorillas

Killa_Gorillas Banned Banned

But...but.. the beloved Pr0n!!!! think of the impact on the beloved, filthy Pr0n!!! :cry:

5. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

So is martial arts when even the most capable of fighters will drop dead when shot in the face with a double barrel.

6. ronki23

ronki23 Valued Member

Fame and fortune for standing around looking good and working out at the gym? Hey-suits me! Plus it brings in the chicks :p

7. Dead_pool

One of there things are not like the others......

8. BRAWLER

BRAWLER Valued Member

From the standpoint of the model, it is great. For the weird people who are talking about modeling and how they should walk a certain way or whatever...come on. Highschool is over, you know?

9. Dead_pool

Why the choice of mma then? Why not just compete in thai\sanda if you hate ground fighting?

10. BRAWLER

BRAWLER Valued Member

Just because I hate it, doesn't mean I'm not decent at it. I just don't like feet and crotch on my face. It almost always happens. Joint-locking is my specialty, so I can go the ground if I have to.

11. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Strange quote from someone with extensive grappling experience....14 MMA fights eh? Any videos of them?

12. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

Great plans and I wish you the best of luck with everything. I would say you tend to get cauliflower ears though training rather than fighting. You spend an awful lot more time training that you do fighting. Wear ear guards as Ratty suggests but if you're going to train the 5-6+ times per week that it'll take to fight MMA then there's always a risk of them.

13. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

Apparently I'm not a wrestler till I have cauliflower ears....so its kind of a challenge for me to wrestle, but not only do I worry about getting pinned, but also they're deliberatly trying to do me ear in...

Mrs told me she'll leave me if I get them..at least theres an incentive to get me ears crushed.

RE: Treatment.....direct to A&E or ER, get it early enough and it can be healed, but just like any other part of the body itll be weakend and prone to further injuries.

14. BRAWLER

BRAWLER Valued Member

Skepticism maybe? Do you like when other guys rub their junk on you? Whatever floats your boat, but I only take it when I have to. If there was a Muay Thai or even boxing league around here...I would be all over that. I'd have to get used to the extra padding, but I would enjoy it more. Here I have three options; BJJ, Karate at the MALL, or MMA. Choice is clear. However, I plan on working towards my purple sash in China next summer. :meditate:

15. february

february Valued Member

Hmmmmmmm. Interesting.

16. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

Tell the Mrs. that you'll leave her if she starts to get fat then. It's only fair....

17. Doublejab

Doublejab formally Snoop

I don't find I get 'their junk rubbed on me' when we grapple. I'm too busy grappling to notice and in any case any experienced grappler will wear a cup.

And I have to admit I am a little sceptical, I've never heard someone with 14 MMA fights describe grappling the way you have. Even MMA fighters who are mainly strikers get over any psudo homosexual aspect very very quickly. That is a lot of fights, in fact it would make you one of the most experienced guys on this forum in terms of competition experience....

18. BRAWLER

BRAWLER Valued Member

Woah woah woah, I'm not a homophobe. Let's get that straight. No pun intended, but I wouldn't want a strange woman rubbing her area on me either. It just freaks me out a little bit. I can't believe I am the only one.

:topic:

Back on topic, I am going to wrap up by saying that I would choose between a future modeling career and contact MA. Just depends on your situation. A more peaceful art sounds like more of an option if you want both. You don't have to spar to be a martial artist.

19. Dead_pool

I think Im on the edge of declaring shananagians.....

20. february

february Valued Member

Where do you do MMA and what is the curriculum there?