What company makes a NICE GI?

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Tomiki Ryu, Nov 25, 2003.

1. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Not unless you want to be kicked out of any Judo comp/grading you enter.

2. Stick

Stick New Member

It's cut tighter under the arms, the same cut is found in expensive judo gi's like Mizuno. As you can see it's hard to tell which one is a judogi and which one is a jujitsu kimono.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 15, 2004
  3. mild7

mild7 Valued Member

I think that the BEST gi out there that money can buy is the Mizuno Eurocomp.

European cut(leaner), stiff as iron and thick as hell. It's like putting on a well tailored suit of armor!! :D

I'd stay away from Adidas, unless you're going to get an Adidas champion. All the 'lower' budget adidas gis such as the elite/club etc are'nt worth your money, thin-ass collars and all. I also find adidas gis too baggy.

Another recommendation I wholeheartedly make is Tagoya. Noris as well if you can find it.

You'd do well to take my advice. I have more than 10 gis!!! (d'oh!) :D :D :D

4. Stick

Stick New Member

Website for Tagoya?

5. Captain_Coward

Captain_Coward Ne-Waza Worm

6. hwardo

hwardo Drunken Monkey

I'm currently a fan of GTMA.

7. Tika

Tika New Member

I have to say that I now HATE Century. I just got the gi I ordered from them. Their size chart is WAY off. And the material SUCKS. Dont mind me, im sure they make some good uniforms, just not the one I ordered. And maybe theyre better for men. Im just flaming mad right now that Im going to have to train in sweats for even longer. :cry:

EDIT: this was a karate gi too...not a judo one.

8. Mrs Owt

Mrs Owt New Member

Would make a great rant for Andy's thread Tika! ;)

I agree, I have had century gi's and they aren't my favorite. The sizing is just goofy - especially for women. So good luck, I am still looking for gi's that fit women well. Maybe a female MAP'er has some suggestions?

9. Tomanak

Tomanak Nil Desperendum

The BEST Gi uniforms, the very, very BEST are just a click away.

Check out the link below. I guarantee you'll never look back once you've tried them.

The best GIs in the world

10. Tripitaka of AA

Tripitaka of AA Valued Member

For any of you that study Korean or Japanese styles, you might like to know that the word "Gi" is not the correct name for the training wear, it should always be pronounced "Dogi" (or "Dobahk" in Korean). The Kanji for the "gi" part of the word would be pronounced "ki" unless there is a preceding syllable.

This information is courtesy of my old mate Kimpatsu, a Japanese/English Translator who many of you will have encountered on the various MA Noticeboards ranting on this very topic. If you wish to carry on using "Gi" it is up to you, but at least you now know that it is not the correct word.

Now, back to your usual programming ;)

11. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Yeah, he's taken me to task over that one before. I tried to do something about it for a while, but with everyone else in my style referring to it as a gi and looking blank when using either "dogi" or "keikogi" I went back to just plain "gi". Much the same with jitsu/jutsu, after such a long time using the wrong spelling people are less able to correct themselves even if they actually want to.... Oh well, I'll live with it ;)

12. Damien

Damien Valued Member

Hi Guys,

Check out http://www.mmagear.com/, they will pay postage on orders above $30 ans the exchange rate is good.

Damien

13. Freeform

But unfortunately they supply BJJ kimonos/gi's, not Judo gi's. Nothing wrong with that (hey I'm after a Hunter BJJ gi myself) but if you were to enter comps you'd be DQ'd before you even started as the cut is different.

Col

14. Damien

Damien Valued Member

Freeform,

Your right, sorry, I was think about V&M who do a Judo gi with their BJJ stuff...but they don't pay postage.

I got gi shorts from MK Kimonos, quality very good..would like to see their gi's.

Currently using a Atama gi...fine!

Cheers

Damien

15. Freeform

But it's still a great website (cheap too!) for all your MMA needs! ;)

Just remeber the sizes are made for Brazillians, so if you wear large (like me) order XL (unlike me :( ).

16. Crex

Crex New Member

Are there any companies that make plain white good quality gis that don't have logos plastered all over them?

17. mateo

mateo Valued Member

Mizuno's are the most popular highend gi while if you go to <www.hatashita.com> you'll find good quality lower priced dogi's made by Fuji. They have some "logo-less" uniforms which I much prefer also. (I can't see why I should willingly advertise for a clothing making company .) You can get a single weight white dogi for a very reasonable price that won't chew up your neck. (Good for summer training and most uses by non-judoka.)

Ouano makes a nice BBJ kimono (sic) with a big collar that I like, but I've had trouble dealing with the company before. (They refused to give me an exchange for a size that would fit me.) Atama has good deals available as well. Hatashita has great service, as does Toraki, which makes custom fitting judogi's.