What characters were your childhood hero's?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Dead_pool, Apr 28, 2021.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

So I was thinking, after randomly reading some intro into Jungian psychology, and then some articles on how to write good stories, story arcs, and how humans have a story based society/social structure.

What hero's did you have as a child (fictional or non fiction) and how does that character story arc relate to you as an adult.

Ill post mine up once I've thought about it a little more.

Grond likes this.
  2. axelb

axelb Master of Office Chair Fu

So hard to think of a single one or even one story/series.
    I think as a child if the 80s I was bombarded with so many different characters.

Ghostbusters stands out as one I looked up to for a large part of my childhood.
    How it relates to be as an adult? I'm a computer engineer, looking to solve all sorts of issues, and definitely feel that this and many other characters I looked up to were those that are often trying to be law abiding characters, but also follow an emerging technology that the law is not complete on, so there can be grey areas.

By this I mean that in cyber security there is often testing from the other perspective (hacking, creating threats).

Dead_pool likes this.
  3. Dead_pool

Good example, which one of the ghost busters was your favourite?

As an aside, the actor rick moranis is a stand up guy.

He quit movies to raise his kids when his wife died of cancer.

axelb likes this.
  4. axelb

He is amazing, gave it all up for the children is commendable.

They are all great characters, hard to pick out one
    Egon is probably my favourite, I can relate most to and Harold Ramis gave him the best lines.

Dead_pool likes this.
  5. Dead_pool

I loved ghost busters growing up, I had the toys, watched the cartoon on Saturday mornings, saw the second film at the cinema, but I only watched the first film recently, it's so good, I'm glad I watched them that way round, if I'd watched GB1 first, GB2 wouldn't of been as good.

The vibe from the upcoming film looks fun too:

Grond and axelb like this.
  6. Dead_pool

I loved the Alien and terminator franchises growing up, the Michel biehn characters in both films were everything I wanted to be, committed, resourceful, always having a back up plan, calm under pressure, but ready to act decisively when needed, they helped back up the female co lead, and the story arcs were all the better for that.

I think part of my own view on religion and business was started by being exposed to the "The future's not set. There's no fate but what we make for ourselves" message from the early terminator films, and how the company was ready to trade peoples lives for a chance at increased profits.

Some people watch Disney as a kid, I watched adult orientated horror/action movies.

Van Zandt and axelb like this.
  7. axelb

I was a big fan of the cartoon also. I started a ghost busting club in primary(junior) school.

I do like the look of Jason Reitman's afterlife, and they work with something different instead of reworking the same characters into new actors (I didn't like the other Ghostbusters film, it felt like a canned script with a Ghostbusters theme)

I still have the toys at my parents house. I showed the adverts and cartoon to my 12 year old, she was fascinated by it, particularly the toys.

I wasn't allowed to watch GB2 in the cinema, but when it came to rental I played it on repeat :D I think it was still enjoyable in the shadow of the first.

I am hoping is the first thing I get to see in the cinema when restrictions lift, but I'll be happy to watch on my big TV if I can't.

Dead_pool likes this.
  8. axelb

I watched all of those as a pre teen also. Laws and restrictions were a lot different then, my friend would go to the video rental and get terminator at 10 years old (late 80s), would tell the shop keeper that their mum said it was ok. Plus having access to a TV after 9pm meant I got to see the Alien films when they were on TV. Michael Beihn played those characters well.

Looking back at that I think I would be shocked if my kids had seen those at 10 o_O

David Harrison and Dead_pool like this.
  9. Dead_pool

The massive Slimer toy stank just like the he-man stinkor toy did, I always wondered if I had a bad one, or if all of them were like that!

axelb likes this.
  10. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Garfield, Peter Venkman, and Sam Spade.

Not sure what that says about me, but I fear it's not good. :D

11. David Harrison

The British actors overdubbing the swearing was hilarious on those movies though!

Dead_pool and axelb like this.
  12. axelb

There was some odd criteria on what wasn't allowed, they dub over rude words, but you could still see and very violent scenes. :D

I liked that they were sometimes creative with the replacement words.

Dead_pool and David Harrison like this.
  13. David Harrison

Oh, Vivian from The Young Ones was also a role model.

It's not looking good for me, I fear. :eek:

Dead_pool, axelb and Xue Sheng like this.
  14. David Harrison

Grond, Dead_pool and axelb like this.
  15. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

When I was a kid I wanted to be Legolas (this was of course decades before the films). I wanted to be a woodelf. Live up a tree, wearing green and shooting a bow like a sniper.

16. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Ditto on the Alien franchise. I love all the xenomorph movies (including the AvP instalments) but Aliens was the first one I watched and it remains among my all-time favourite films (I had it playing in the background just yesterday while I was working). Hicks was such a cool character and I wanted to be like him. I had all the novels from that universe and I still have my original copy of the Aliens Colonial Marines Technical Manual on my bookshelf right next to me as I type this. I liked Hudson, too. I'm always dropping some of his best lines into random conversations and most of the time people will give me a puzzled look, but every now and again someone will get the reference. :D

David Harrison, Dead_pool and axelb like this.
  17. axelb

A puzzled look? How has everyone not seen Aliens? Such a classic, it should be part of the school education system by now.

So many quotable lines. As someone who works in IT, when things go wrong and I can't fix it in always dropping:

"I say we take off and nuke the whole site from orbit, it's the only way to be sure" :D

18. Dead_pool

Have you heard the William Gibson alternative version alien 3 audio play, with Hicks and Bishop in yet? It's fantastic.

19. David Harrison

Vasquez was my favourite as a kid.

I've got the Technical Manual somewhere, but next to me is the newish blueprints book.

Van Zandt, Dead_pool and axelb like this.
  20. Botta Dritta

Botta Dritta Valued Member

Scean Connery in Highlander

I first watched it in television on Berlusconi's Italia 1 channel, as a kid well passed my bed-time and watershed. For a young kid sword slinging immortals battling through time "until there can only be one" was the absolute pinncle. Sean Connery was in it for five minutes as "Juan Sanchez Villalobos Ramirez" for a stonking fee but totally stole the show for me as the Spanish/Egyptian Immortal (with a scottish accent) training the titular highlander, the Frenchman Christopher Lambert, who could not speak a word of english. It engendered in me a lifelong fascination with swordplay that has stayed with me to this day

Of course its NOT a great film, viewed with adult eyes. Its Camp, Violent and Daft in equal measure. Total nonsense. Its so B-Movie that you can see the wires dangling Christopher Lambert in the final fight scene. (We shall not mention Highlander 2)

There are about a hundred movies that I find more fulfilling as man. But for me this part, the training montage was tops as a kid.

And yes I first watched in dubbed in Italian but it was awesome even then. Now I teach young kids fencing. Go figure.