What can you tell me about creating a new style?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Quoux, Mar 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Quoux

Quoux Valued Member

I will try to find a way to get a picture then, but only one or two.

Bassai,

And I understand this that I may not be qualified. We've been over that an I've definitely take it into account. Lets not focus on me; not the question I'm asking, or I would have asked about starting it myself.

Aegis and Simon; both as mods, could you please understand that's all I'm asking? I greatly appreciate the warnings I've been given and I'm heeding them; lets not worry about what I want to do, lets just look at this question theoretically.

Ned; I don't know what lapping a jab means; but I haven't incorporated much hand to hand combat.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  2. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't understand how you have not processed the information that directly relates to your question as acceptable. They all have something along the lines of "go get A LOT of experience so you know 1.) how to actually fight and 2.) how a style actually works." Some of these replies have been very polite, others with a touch of sarcasm and disbelief at the question.

There isn't much to it man. It's like asking, "How do I get good at boxing so I can start my own boxing gym?" Well . . . . go out and box darn it!

3. Dave76

Dave76 Valued Member

What was the question? I forgot.

4. Quoux

Quoux Valued Member

Ero-sennin: thank you for trying to clear things up. But I have thanked the people that have offered advice like the advice that you have mentioned. The people I am referring to are the ones that pay to much attention to me and less attention to my question.

I appreciate the polite replies. Since this is the Internet and I can hear no ones voice; I can only assume no one has used sarcasm. I do not use any.

5. Quoux

Quoux Valued Member

Dave76,

If you all didn't know, "Yaga" is a slang for "love an peace always".

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  6. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

Share your notes, I'm curious.

7. Quoux

Quoux Valued Member

Patience, young grass hopper.

8. Grass hopper

So am I to understand that you don't have notes to share beyond "mostly weapon based self defense"?

9. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh good sir, welcome to the internet! There has been much sarcasm in this thread :p.

Seriously though, I don't feel like you're coming off as a troll but there isn't much more to answer about your question. Because of this the thread is spiraling down into verbal jests and jabs and you're feeding into it. You can't please everybody and there is no sense getting worked up over people you probably won't ever see in real life.

As the creator of a thread you should expect a certain accountability for it, and this accountability is often established with how you present yourself as a person in the real world. So far you've presented yourself as having minimal experience and being young . . . what exactly do you expect when talking about establishing yourself in an authoritative position? You would do yourself some good to just say, "Ok guy, cool :cool:" and entertain yourself with the many other areas of MAP.

10. Quoux

Quoux Valued Member

Yes, mainly weapon based self defense and anatomy. I haven't paid much attention to striking besides the basics, and hand positions. Besides that, grapples and self defense. Besides that, alot of philosophy.

Ero sennin, (I know there has been lots of sarcasm but I pretend it's not sarcasm.)

And I apologize for coming off as that. I'm not all that concerned with how I'm viewed but as long as I'm not viewed as a troll. I'm not concerned with acceptance of my notes or not either. I alone am responsible for them and their exhibition. And I am not bothered by the jabs and jests; I pay most attention to answers.

And I have been browsing the forum. Very helpful! It's an incredible source of knowledge.

11. GoldShifter

GoldShifter The MachineGun Roundhouse

FMA has basically most of the things you're looking at. You learn weapon defense, there are a good amount of joint locks, and hand to hand. It is practical, most of the FMA styles were founded off the concept of getting home safe to your family with what you have. Also, Kajukenbo does too. (lol, promoting the style I study hahaha, but in all seriousness, its concepts do have a good majority of what Quoux is looking for)

If you are adamant about founding your own style. 3 things, 1) It better work, 2) You should have a minimum of 15+ experience in one art. 3) Get known and establish a strong and loyal following.

For example, Kajukenbo. (Its not really a new style, more of a mixed martial art) The founders (Very good in their own respective arts, Experience) wanted an art that would work on "the most dangerous streets of Hawaii". They found the faults in their own arts, or what was lacking, and mixed styles together to create a new hybrid art. The fighters that came out of it were strong fighters that employed what they learned in street fights, and became well known. (Working) (Following)

12. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Dont forget, started at the age of 6 and studied over seas

OK.

Most of us can say, that unless there is vast expereince, starting a new style will not yield a better pracitioner

Studying with a qualified instructor will open doors to studying with many other qualifying instructors.

This will all become experience.

Usually those who start a style without grand experience is looking for a big ego to fill

13. Quoux

Quoux Valued Member

Goldshifter; kajukenbo sounds like an incredible style and you have me very interested. I hope dearly that there is a practicing area in my location. That sounds like a style I would like to learn and take notes on.

47martialman, thank you that is very good insight. I hope to find a good practicing area with a good instructor that isn't one of those Americanized fake dojos.

14. righty

righty Valued Member

Dude you have to understand a few things.

- No one is going to spoon feed you.
    - We are all martial artist
    - We like martial arts
    - We realise that there is enough rubbish in the martial arts already

You have shown that you do not even come close to having the requirements to start a martial art that isn't going to bring down the reputation of existing martial arts in general. In addition you haven't shown any intention of taking the advice of those who are saying you need more experience. So now give us a reason to help you in your quest to start one.

15. Grass hopper

What about weapons and anatomy specifically? Which weapons will you train with? How will you use them? What parts of the human anatomy will you attack?

What grappling techniques will you use specifically?

16. Quoux

Quoux Valued Member

Righty, everything you have said is correct, except the experience part and the new style part. I am actively looking for a new art to train. And I am fairly sure I don't want to start a style immediately.

There are few ways to help me at the moment besides giving me more answers, but it looks like everything has been answered, really, and I am very grateful for that. Besides that not much can be done until I actually start to develop it; which will most likely take a while.

Grass hopper, if you ask about them specifically, you would have to read every piece on it. And everything, but weapon is a broad term. They will be used as conveniently as possible. All parts of human anatomy; anything that provides an opportunity.

Tapouts, and submissive.

Apologies for being vague.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  17. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

I think my answering and asking more, only warrants feedback without a sincere attempt to actually do something.

righty summed it up

18. Grass hopper

I hate to be a stickler for details, but you didn't actually answer my question. You just told me that you will use weapons to attack any part of the anatomy that provides an opportunity, and use the same kind of grappling as every single grappling art.

How will you use weapons for self defense and make them "convenient"? And what parts of the anatomy will you make targets out of? Will you focus in small joint or large joint manipulation? Control or quick debilitating breaks?

And don't give more generalizations. Strategy alone does not a martial art make.

19. Quoux

Quoux Valued Member

Grass hopper, that is quite alot of information to demand. You might even want to make a new question thread for that, to stay on topic.

But I will not answer the first one. Anatomy targets mainly are the head, neck, chest, and legs. Small joint manipulation. Control of attacks comes with practice but it's not the focus. Debilitating would be the focus, I would say.

20. Grass hopper

These questions are just scratching the surface. If you want to even consider making a style these shouldn't be tough questions. Why won't you answer the first question? Also, what parts of the head? What will you attack the head with? Hitting people in the head isn't a new idea. What do you bring that warrants a new style?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.