What can you tell me about creating a new style?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by Quoux, Mar 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

You've been told creating your own style is a bad idea by multiple people multiple times , but still say you want to do so , even though you're massively under qualified .
    To be honest you're lucky the mods haven't warned you about trolling !

2. Grass hopper

Grass hopper Valued Member

This is like applying for a job as a cashier, then posting online "how would I go about starting, and owning a bank? I've taken notes on the subject, and when I was a kid my dad let me watch him take care of the families finances".

3. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Why not create a new opening in chess, or a new form of internal combustion engine?

What's that you say? Because you know nothing about those things?

Bingo!

4. Quoux

Quoux Valued Member

Bassai, they aren't answering my question even, they are just telling me to give up. Instead if that, please just answer my question, and tell me more about starting a new style, not more about how I shouldn't. If anything, it's they who are trolling and flaming. Just because they told me something doesn't mean I have to follow it, but trust me when I say I do consider it. I've only been polite; Id like to be treated the same. Perhaps I won't start my own style, but I will definitely be thinking about what I've discovered. And if what I've discovered actually works and is practical, it may be able to help others. Why would I keep that a secret? "Unqualified" or not. What determines qualification? If I can do it, I can do it. No questions. I won't claim to be able to or not able to.

Grass hopper, whats wrong with that? If I want to be a bank owner, ill start at the bottom and work my way up. There is no dishonor in being a cashier with high hopes. We all start somewhere... Even you.

Thank you gapjumper, that answered a question as to why I should not. Lets say I know about them one day.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  5. Grass hopper

What have you discovered that warrants a new style?

6. m1k3jobs

m1k3jobs Dudeist Priest

Dude, what people are saying is that you don't even know enough to ask the question. Most of us here don't, even those with much more experience than you, which I am NOT including myself in.

Edit. I mean the experience, not the not knowing enough. :)

If you had enough experience you wouldn't need to ask the question. It's like asking how do I develop a theory in physics to replace quantum mechanics. Once you get to the point that you can see quantum mechanics needs to be replaced you have already answered your own question. Until then it is just a non-nonsensical question.

Does that clear it up for you?

7. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Quoux, if you have a problem with the way the site is moderated, then I suggest you contact one of us by PM.

I suggest you read the ToS.

8. gapjumper

Well maybe if we could see your martial arts so far we might be able to take you more seriously.

Do you have any clips?

And you tell us you have loads of "notes", but where are the notes from? And when you took those notes, were you experienced in martial arts to the point you could really understand enough for those notes to be useful?

Would you show us any of those notes?

9. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

You will need a "new idea" to invent a new style. What's your "new idea"?

For example, here is a simple idea. If you can run faster than anybody on earth, even the best striker won't be able to hit you. So your new style can be built on top of your ghost like footwork.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGxptvJlubY"]Penetrating the Posts - YouTube[/ame]

10. Kave

Kave Lunatic

This is the core of your problem, theory and practice are not the same thing in martial arts. You sound like you have come up with theories, but it doesn't sound like you have an outlet to really test them. My advice to you is to take a hard-sparring art for 6 months. This is not really long enough to learn any useful skill, but it is long enough to develop an appreciation of why practice and theory differ. Try MMA, Muay Thai, Sanda, Savate or something similar. I see you are into weapons, so if you have any dog-brothers stuff near you it could be a good option.

Really it doesn't matter if you take a striking art or a weapons art, the most important lesson that you need to learn is that in the martial arts theories can only be considered valid when they have extensive testing to support them. You are still young and will heal quickly, so if you want to try an art that gets you thoroughly acquainted with the taste of your own blood, now is the time to do it.

11. gapjumper

OMG I thanked a Kave post!

;)

12. Kave

Kave Lunatic

You underestimate the power of the Dark Side.

13. Quoux

Quoux Valued Member

I apologize for being a bit reluctant to show you any of my notes. I will find some that I can post. As for videos, I don't have any. I haven't really thought about making any. I will look into that.

14. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

The trouble is that what people have told you is true, you need to be thinking about learning and absorbing martial arts for about the next 20 years if you want a chance of making your own style that actually offers anything new. Even then, the vast majority of people are simply not capable of adding anything worthwhile to a new martial art.

The best person for the task of creating a new art is someone who has simply learned for a very long time and has identified a new shortfall or niche to exploit. Those aren't discovered every day, so until then you need to be a dedicated student learning for the right reasons.

15. Grass hopper

Just a couple quick points from your notes, you must remember some, right?

16. Quoux

Quoux Valued Member

Thank you for clearing things up, aegis. I have thanked them for telling me why or why I shouldn't make a new style, however. Telling me to give up does not answer the questions. My plans might actually be to do what you mentioned and practice longer. Again, I never said I was going to make a style immediately.

Grass hopper; I was thinking you wanted a picture. I could provide one; but I don't have a way to link it.

17. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Tumblr let's you post things. Hope that's not against TOS, I just really want to se he picture. :D

18. ned

ned Valued Member

Quoux,just wondering,would it be possible to lap a jab using your system?

19. bassai

bassai onwards and upwards ! Moderator Supporter

Actually , you're not being told to give up , rather you are in no position to "create" a new style , and won't be for a long time if at all.
    The overwhelming advice is to train and see where it takes you.

20. Grass hopper

I just want a look at these "notes".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.