What can I reasonably expect?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by geezer, Jul 14, 2008.

1. geezer

geezer Valued Member

I've been gradually getting back into a fitness program over the last year, and started adding in some weight training back about last September. In the last 13 months I've lost 35-40 lbs (190 down to 150, then intentionally added back on 5) and gained considerable definition and endurance, but not as much strength. My dad, an 83 year old retired MD tells me that I'm wasting my time, and that at my age I can't gain muscle mass. "You can just maintain it," he says. I'm just a kid who will turn 53 in a couple of weeks. So, seriously, what can I expect? Any old goats care to opine?

2. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

First off how old are you?

Second, I hate to say this about anyone's father but what he said is a tractor trailer full of cow dung. I know guys in their late 60's that still lift and continue to gain in strength. They may not be benching 500 but 250-300 @ age 67 ain't bad in my book...

3. Semper Fi

Semper Fi Valued Member

The OP is going on 53.

4. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Then unless you have an underlying medical condition or low testosterone levels, you can carry on and still gain!

Thanks Semper Fi!

5. fifthchamber

fifthchamber Valued Member

As living proof of the above I should point out that Ron Coleman is 44... Not miles behind the OP... And is still able to gain muscle at a rate that shocks me.. And may be considering an Olympia appearance again this year.. Pretty damn impressive..

6. geezer

geezer Valued Member

Well, the old guy has been right about so many things over the years that it's actually nice to hear that he's wrong for once. Regarding your other questions...as far as I know, I'm in good health for my age. No telling about testosterone...but I still have my drive if that's any indication. My cardio is decent, and when I spar with youngsters, I sometimes take a beating, but they get winded first. My real frustration is just how slow progress is. If I'd worked this hard when I was thirty, I'd be huge by now. I'm wondering if I should be looking at supplements??? On the other hand maybe I should just be thankful that I'm not bulking up and having to make up excuses to tell my rotund Wing Tsun instructor who despises weights.

7. Yost

Yost Valued Member

Maybe you could post how you're exercising? You should be able to train still at your age, perhaps your regime is the problem?

8. geezer

geezer Valued Member

Yeah, my regimen could well be the problem. I work out at home, alone, with no coach or spotter so I keep the weights a bit lighter than my potential for safety. Also, I have very limited equipment--mostly dumbells. My current routine (as of yesterday) is:

Upper body, twice a week--Mon & Fri:
    1. Pull-ups: 20 reps x 3 sets.
    2. Bench, with dumbells: 8-10 reps x 3 sets (currently at 67.5# ea).
    3. Curls, standing, ez bar: 8-10 reps x 3 sets (currently at 95#).
    4. Reclining tricep ext. with tricep bar: 8-10 reps x 3 sets (currently 80#).
    5. Bent-over single rows, w/ dumbell: 12-15 reps x 3 sets (currently 67.5#)
    6. Shugs (circular) w/ 25# plates: 25 reps x 3 sets.
    7. Wrist curls and rev. curls w/ dumbells: 15-25 reps x 3 sets.
    8. Striking drills with resistance, band, 5 positions: 10 reps ea. x 3 sets
    9. High lateral ext. (pulls) with resistance band: 10 reps x 3 sets.
    10. (Optional) Upright rows with two 25# plates
    11. On hold: Military press w dumbells (recovering, shoulder joint pain)

My ab, leg and cardio routines (2-3 times/week) have been getting the results I need, so I won't take the time to post them. At any rate, just in writing this down I'm beginning to think I need to push my weights up and reps down. The problem is that at 53 yrs., 5'8", 154 lbs., slender frame, and no trainer, I want to play it safe. I have a tendency to overdue it and I'm finding that joint and tendon injuries are taking forever (like years) to heal, if at all.

9. Yost

Yost Valued Member

First off I would like to say that if you're doing 20 strict, full range pull ups in a single set (let alone 3 times) at your age I am very impressed!

At first glace, it would seem that you're right, if you want to gear your workouts more towards maximum strength, you should use heavier weights. Of course, you should increase the weights slowly and make sure you can handle it.

One thing you could do (since you say you have a tendency to overdo it) is drop the volume a bit... If I were you, I would stick with your "money" exercises and drop the isolation ones (especially if you're finding it harder to recover with heavier weights). Keep the pull ups, bench, bent-over rows, and military press (whenever you can work it back in).

Of course, isolation exercises can be useful (especially if your shoulder problem is caused by a muscular imbalance) but if your primary concern is strength then, in my opinion, your "volume budget" can be better used elsewhere. Sometimes a little extra recovery goes farther than a little extra work.

David

10. Yohan

Yohan In the Spirit of Yohan Supporter

If I was you I would trade most of that in for heavy, compound lifts. I would probably do 5 lifts, 5 sets, 5 reps.

Check out the H&F resources on this site - I think West Side for Skinny Boys is a regularly referenced resource, I think Joe Defranco is another one that people reference.

I would recommend a workout similar to this:

5x5 pullups
    5x5 dips
    5x5 Deadlift
    5x5 bent over row
    5x5 bench press

That would hit everything pretty hard and help you to build mass. The other side of the coin here is - you need to eat lots if you want to build muscle.