What can Bujinkan offer me at my stage of life.

Discussion in 'Ninjutsu' started by Botta Dritta, Sep 1, 2015.

1. workingactor

workingactor Valued Member

OK. This link is a website of one of the 15th dans I trained with in L.A.
    http://www.rojodojo.com/
    There's a youtube vid of some techniques on the page, with other vids to be found on youtube if you wanted to search.

Tell me what's missing here. I honestly want to know, because I actually think Michael is good, and I know he goes to Japan regularly.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  2. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Usual long distance, overcomitted half asleep uke and "leave it out there" arms that you see in every bad demo video (not just Buj ones)

Not very impressive at all

3. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

so i watched this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLlacKx5liO2hRqBBMeN49w8N_Tg_QeNzK&t=21&v=KJlExf8bi_A

everything is predicated on horrible attacks. look how the ukes just hang with their arm outstretched, or jo still there, and just kind of let tori do whatever.

honestly, have you ever watched a video of a prison fight? when a violent person strikes someone, the arm is not left there, it's cocked back to strike again, kind of like a fast jab.

i think if people are interested in keeping the tradition alive, having fun, etc., then i would be fine with the art. but it's not going to teach anyone to fight.

4. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

2 minutes apart hanni. lol

5. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Problem there is if you are keeping a tradition alive then it still needs to actually be alive and function despite having anachronistic tendencies.

You aren't keeping any tradition alive if you don't understand it properly. :)

6. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

Lots of other stuff too from balance to structure and general flow.

7. Hannibal

Great minds mon ami!

8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I think the main thing wrong with the Booj is that everyone wants to flow and use no energy and have fun like Hatsumi giving a demo without having to do the serious training Hatsumi had to do to reach the stage where he can have a laugh at the gaijin's expense.

9. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I missed one! Everyone thinks their teacher is legit, when in truth they are no different from all the other terrible ninjutsu teachers.

10. holyheadjch

This video: [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7rnSVKHHDE"]Bujinkan Kata 日撃 Nichigeki Preview - YouTube[/ame]

has some of the shoddiest throwing skills I've ever seen from someone not wearing a brightly coloured belt. This guy is a "15th Dan", yet he can't even carry out simple techniques on compliant ukes.

11. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

1:11 onward was my favourite bit

12. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Holy...you also missed...

You can only get PROPER teaching in Japan with a personal relationship with one of the shihan.

13. holyheadjch

This is why I refer to Ninjutsu as a pyramid scheme.

14. Hannibal

That was bloody awful

15. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

All his videos are at least as bad.

16. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

To the OP.

You can get many things from the Bujinkan, however most likely you cannot get any experience of the traditional arts that comprise the organisation without a lot of sacrifice and effort. As such, you would probably be better off not getting involved. There are masters of these arts in Japan who can do amazing things even against realistic attackers(I know shocking to all those out there who have never experienced it yet want to discuss videos and McDojos), who could teach you everything from the basics to the deeper aspects of the Takamatsuden, but realistically there is little chance anyone in the world will get that experience. Sure it is possible, but it isn't probable.

If you want to check out some local dojos, do so and see if you like it. Other than that, I wouldn't worry about what the detractors of the art say(whether within the organisation or without). There are many great aspects of these arts and the Bujinkan itself, but there are many many aspects that deter from one finding them. Good luck.

17. workingactor

Ok(and, BTW, apologies to OP, I didn't mean to hijack the thread) thanks for these responses, because at this early stage of my training, I just didn't know what to look for. Last thing: in my other thread I mentioned wanting to try a class with one of Kacem Zoughari's students, Sensei Alvarez. this is a vid of Zoughari: [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f9c2KJwQVCU"]Dr Kacem Zoughari Essence of Ninjutsu - YouTube[/ame]

I didn't see any vids of Alvarez on youtube, but, what are your thoughts on HIS teacher here? I'm looking at traveling a fair distance twice a week..just want to know what I might be in for. Thanks again :)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2015
  18. Please reality

Please reality Back to basics

You should go and see. If you like it, stay. If not, don't. But don't call him Sensei Alvarez, "sensei" isn't like Mr., it doesn't go in front of someone's name but after their last name.

19. workingactor

Fair enough, will do.

20. holyheadjch

Who knows? He never seems to actually do anything? He just spouts a load of pseudo-spiritual nonsense.

Is there a video of him actually doing ninjutsu?