What brand and weight of gi does everyone use? Gi advice?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Noodle, Nov 18, 2003.

1. Dinesh

Dinesh New Member

I have used gi's from The cheap Cotton blends to Mitsuboshi.
    I find PINE TREE gi's are a nice gi to use.THe cut isn't the best in the bus but @ less than 100USD for a 14oz one i recommend it.
    I have also heard that KI is good.
    FYI IMO it's alot better to train with a heavyier gi during dojo kumite etc.It gets u accustomted to the weight,so when u go into kumite and wear a lgith one,you are having a ball.
    ALso a heavy gi is excellent for kata competition as it gives the extra snap and heck it looks alot better:)
    The Tiger claw are also really good Gi's.
    Affordable and not a waste of money .
    Try the pine tree though.
    Different "bolts" of fabric are used sometimes and taht leades to a difference in "hardness" of the material.eg; i bought 2 and one is softer(not lighter) than the other.
    A Gi shouldn't be stiff and should allow free movement.

2. Paul Herbert

Paul Herbert New Member

Hirota Special and a Tokaido Medium Weight

3. Seito

Seito New Member

Tokaido...

4. Nathanj

Nathanj New Member

Brand of gi

I've been using Juka gold gi's for about 4 years, they're 14 oz. in fact I bought two of them four years ago, and they're still in great condition, very sturdy, and comfortable. I use them for training, and sparring, and I've never even considered going with a lighter weight gi.

5. ketong71

ketong71 Valued Member

6. Dinesh

Dinesh New Member

What about MEIJIN anyone used those yet?
    the reviews look good and the constructiont too..
    BUt Tokaido still rocks......
    I'm really not going to spend all that $$ in Gi right now as i'm still growing(16 yrs ,5 Foot 10),so i tend to stick with Gi's that are around 100 USD.
    When i reach about 19-20 i'll get a Tokaido or Shureido.