What book are you currently reading?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Anth, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Enjoy

Enjoy New Member

The soloist by Mark Salzman... It's decent but not that great

2. Tika

Tika New Member

I just started Cryptonomicon... A fellow mapper recommended it before I went off onto vacation... Im not to far into it yet but it is grabbing my attention (the math guy at least)... hopefully it will really draw me in soon...But I just finished a two trilogy series by Melanie Rawn. If youre into dragons and majic and great charactors and awesome subplots... go for it...

3. Nyghtewynd

Nyghtewynd Valued Member

The real question is probably what am I *not* reading. In terms of "for recreation" reading, I'm working on a book called "Longing to Know", which is about epistemology (the study of knowledge--how do you *know* stuff). I'm also reading "The Progress Paradox" by Gregg Easterbrook, which are his thoughts about why people who have never had it so well (current US culture) think that everything is awful. I haven't really gotten far enough to know whether I agree with him or not, but I'm working on it.

4. Guerilla Fists

Guerilla Fists New Member

Well I don't know if reading is the right word.

I am studying this book called "How to Draw Manga - Super Basics - Volume 8."
    Everything has come easy to me in life in terms of academics, sports, socializing but I was never a good artist. I have so much I want to draw and write out that I decided to take steps towards actualizing my goal. They say genius does not succeed because of talent but in spite of it. And this is my problem. I've never been truely challenged, so this is my first attempt at starting from ground zero.
    Wish me luck and if I do not succeed I will know at least I gave it my all.
    If you have any other resources (be them online or available for research at my bookstore) then by all means please share them. Just pm me or reply.
    After I "get" the basics I'll pick up volume 6: Martial Arts & Combat Sports!

-GF

5. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

Yeah, I think it's probably his weakest work. Though it was also the first time he wasn't writing a memoir or about Chinese culture. I'm a bit fan of Laying Awake. I've yet to rea the new collection he editied.

I just wrapped up Robert W. Smith's "Martial Musings" (I've got a review of it in the works) and currently I'm blasting through "The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time" and I can't recommend it enough. Very well writen exploration of the world of an autistic teenager.

- Matt

6. Scarlet Mist

Scarlet Mist Banned Banned

Trying to Start "Gravity's Rainbow" by Thomas Pynchon

7. FortuneFaded

FortuneFaded Feel my Squirrely wrath!

Monstorous Reginment- Terry pratchet
    The galaxay welcomes you to infinity- red dwarf book

8. Novex

Novex Valued Member

Just received my copy of The sword polishers record: Way of Kung Fu by Adam Hsu, haven't started it yet but from all accounts's it v. good so can't wait to get home and dive in!

9. Enjoy

Enjoy New Member

yeah I plan on reading Lost in Place once I'm finished. It seems like and interesting and easily indentifiable read. Have you read it?

10. Matt_Bernius

Yeah. I struggle with Lost in Place. I read it. It's perhaps the most personally insightful book that he's written. And gives you a good window into his writing process. But I don't know if I liked the insight that I gained. I give him a lot of credit for writing it in that he publicly addresses his own warts.

I plan on rereading it someday. Don't expect it to be Iron and Silk part 2. Its something very different.

Excellent book. I think you'll enjoy it a lot.

- Matt

Last edited: Aug 18, 2004
  11. Cain

Cain New Member

Currently reading the icarus agenda by Robert Ludlum, it's a bit boring in between because it's focusing a bit too much in the life of a politician :rolleyes:

|Cain|

12. Kinjiro Tsukasa

Kinjiro Tsukasa I'm hungry; got troll? Supporter

Currently reading "The Fountainhead" by Ayn Rand. Very hard to put down.

13. ANVIL

ANVIL New Member

mix

i'm currently reading 'mastering jujitsu' by renzo gracie and 'restorative justice critical issues' by Mclaughlin et al.

i've recently finished reading 'for tibet with love' by isobel losada, 'media control' by noam chomsky, 'the complete idiot's guide to buddhism' by gary gach, and the autobiography of malcolm x - all good books.

next up is 'dragon in the land of snows - a history of modern tibet'.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2004
  14. Xcentric

Xcentric Banned Banned

Good book

The Essense of Ninjitsu by Dr. Masaaki Hatsumi

15. eonwei

eonwei Banned Banned

Great Book(s)

The Lord of the Rings series by J.R.R Tolkein

16. Matt_Bernius

Finished Martial Musings and submitted a review to MAP. We'll see if it's published.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime was amazing. One of the best works of new fiction I've come across. Thoughougly engaging and thought provoking.

I also polished off The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler. I don't know why I didn't try his stuff before. Just amazing.

I'm currently in between books though, sadly, I expect my next will be The Elements of Style, Fourth Edition by Strunk and White to get ready for school.

- Matt

17. Jiraiya

Jiraiya Valued Member

I'm reading the John Adams biography by David McCullough. Fascinating look at American history, and how poor our politicians of today compare to those giants of history.

18. Aldarion

Aldarion Banned Banned

(But he hasn't really been reading them)

19. eonwei

eonwei Banned Banned

k aldarion i have been reading them you moron. haha just kidding. why must you put an alternate statement for every single post i put up?

20. Aldarion

Aldarion Banned Banned

haha cause it's funny and i doubt you have.... prove it, tell me what chapter you are on and whats happened