What book are you currently reading?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Anth, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

'kitchen confidential' By chef Tony Bourdain
    It's excellent :D I recommend it to everyone :D
    also the haynes motorcycle basics techbook.

2. hwardo

hwardo Drunken Monkey

"American Gods" by Neil Gaiman and "The Buddha in the Jungle by Kamala Tiyavanich.

Hey Yoda-- have you read From a Buick 8?

3. xplasma

xplasma Banned Banned

Just ready to start
    Count Zero by William Gibson

4. Yukimushu

Yukimushu MMA addict

Cage fighter - The true story of Ian 'The Machine' Freeman

Looks real good from what ive read so far.

5. Alex_JHH

Alex_JHH Cardboard Tube Samurai

Finished War and Peace (Tolstoy) a while ago, that was good. Currently reading Red Rabbit (Military fiction type) by Tom Clancy. The Icewind Dale Trilogy (Fantasy) by RA Salvatore is next, then possibly To Kill a Mockingbird.

6. Poop-Loops

Poop-Loops Banned Banned

Have you played the games? I've played the second one, it's pretty good.

PL

7. Alex_JHH

Alex_JHH Cardboard Tube Samurai

No, but I've played both the Baldurs Gate games for PC. They were fun, but I never got round to finishing them. BTW, all those books are highly recommended by me :D

8. blackbelt_judoj

blackbelt_judoj New Member

I’m actually writing a book at the moment in memory of my recently departed sensei.

I expect you all to buy it once it finished. That’s an order!!! LOL :cool:

9. Greg-VT

Greg-VT Peasant

Do we get discounts? :D

10. snailfist

snailfist Valued Member

A Brief History of time, by Stephen Hawking.
    An intellectually stretching and sometimes straining read, but a good one if you're interested in that kind of thing (astrophysics, "Why are we here" questions, etc.)

My only complaint is that in order to make it an "easier" read, nothing is really justified properly; no working out is given. No doubt if I was writing such a book i would take the same approach (he mentions at the beginning that a friend advised him that each equation he included would halve the readers of the book!), but I like to understand things thoroughly. Thus, when he says "X happpens because of Y" I can't help but try and make that jump make sense to me, rather than simply accept what he says as being true- hence why my brain often gets that "butter spread over too much bread" feeling :p Still interesting though, and I would recommend it to those that way inclined.

The last book I finshed is Catch-22. Great read!

11. Knight_Errant

Knight_Errant Banned Banned

apparently his publisher told him that for every equation he included, it would halve his readership :rolleyes:
    Hell of a book though. Have you read the sequel, universe in a nutshell?

12. Qis

Qis Blue Tags WTF

The Blind Assassin.
    third time i've tried to read it. hopefully it'll pick up. gonna finnish it regardless.
    then i've got to read the corrections and 1421. all these books that i've started and that beat me.
    gonna get them out of the way by christmas so i can get back to my undefeated record!
    -Qis

13. KenpoDavid

KenpoDavid Working Title

14. Romantic

Romantic Martial Prowess

I just finished Shogun by James Clavell. It is the best.

15. Hazmatac

Hazmatac Valued Member

I'm Reading:

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Being Smart...... just playin. I'm currently reading Mindfulness in Plain English

16. T_T

T_T New Member

I read this recently and thouroughly enjoyed it, Art, History, Religion, murder mystery, puzzler all in one Novel, excellent read!

Has anyone read any of Dan Browns other books? if so would you reccomend them i been meaning to take a look at them.

17. Nukie

Nukie New Member

In the past few months ..

hawkings - brief history of time .. name says it all

paul britton -jigsaw man & picking up the pieces.. a leading psychologist who helped solve cases such as fred west murders, heinz babyfood blackmail case, colin pitchfork murders etc etc..

geoff thompson - watch my back.. search the forums on ere if u haven't heard of geoff thompson

and now, stakeknife - michael ingram & greg harkin ..about british intelligence infiltrating terrorist organisations in ireland using informers and agents

Would recommend them all!

18. morphus

morphus Doobrey

I am reading 'The Da vici code' at the mo' - when i get the time.

19. Paratus

Paratus aka Mr. Rue

I have, it was pretty good

20. snailfist

snailfist Valued Member

No i haven't KE, not yet anyway. I'm still finishing the first off. someone moved it though after coming back from holiday :woo: I probably will read that though- I think we have it on our bookshelves somewhere...