What book are you currently reading?

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by Anth, Apr 16, 2004.

1. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I started the second book of the "Maze Runner" trilogy.

I needed some time to get into the first book, to be honest, but after a hundred pages, maybe 150 I wouldn't want to put it away anymore.

I seem to be such a simpleton by reading this instead of Plato :D

2. aikiMac

aikiMac aikido + boxing = very good Moderator Supporter

:jester: Ya, but my prior book was from the Destroyer series, LOL! A little of both is good. :D

3. 23rdwave

23rdwave Valued Member

Hard Rain Falling by Don Carpenter - One of the great prison novels.

4. 8limbs38112

8limbs38112 Valued Member

50 psychology classics. by some guy can't remember his name

5. aikiMac

Yes and yes. The title is "Great Dialogues of Plato." In order, it has the complete texts of Ion, Meno (or Menon), Symposium (which I'm still in), The Republic, Apology, Crito, and Phaedo.

I loved "Meno." Socrates was messing with him so well. :happy:

6. Guitar Nado

Guitar Nado Valued Member

Ok, I haven't read any Maze Runner books, but have seen the movies out so far. If it makes you feel any better about your lowbrow reading selections, I have probably read 50-60 self published zombie apocalypse books on the Kindle.

7. TwirlinMerlin

TwirlinMerlin Valued Member

Verbal Judo. I am finding it very helpful. Thanks to Sifu Ben for the recommendation.

8. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I think it's terrible that we have such a dim view of reading trash novels - no one blinks an eye if you mention enjoying B-movie schlock like "Robot Monster" but yeah.

9. flaming

flaming Valued Member

The book I am reading at the moment is from the children's section of the book shop.

Yet, I am absolutely baffled and laugh at some of it. The pictures in the book are also rather charming.

10. philosoraptor

philosoraptor carnivore in a top hat Supporter

I've always thought that Lizard Music was a delightful introduction to post modernism.

11. Emanon

Emanon New Member

I just finished reading "Redemption, A Street Fighters Path To Peace" by Micael Clarke (Goju) and found it excellent. I have read all his books and personally I enjoy his writing. This book is about how karate changed his life of violence and prison.

The other book I am almost finished with and although no where near as well written as the above book, it is pretty interesting. This one is "The Outer Circle, My Journey To Nowhere" by Thomas Pressimone. While it isn't really a story of sorts or instructional, it is more a compilation of thoughts and really seems to lay it all on the line as far as the authors views on the state of modern karate and what he refers to as the old ways. I will admit the book is a bit odd at times and a lot of complaining is done but I can't say that I disagree and I feel pretty much the same. I am a fan of both their blogs
    Michael Clarkes https://shinseidokandojo.blogspot.com and Tommy Pressimone's https://outercirclekarate.blogspot.com

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  12. Rated Red

Rated Red ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Supporter

Gomorrah
    written by: Roberto Saviano

Read at your own discretion /

13. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

The second book of the "Maze Runner"-trilogy.
    Debating with myself whether to get that movie as well or not.

14. Rated Red

It's not a terrible film, but some fans of the book may find the changes that were made in the film off-putting.

15. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

They already did that with the first movie as well.

I thought some of it was a pity, but when looked at it by itself it wasn't bad movie (to me anyway).

I just shouldn't have watched it as close after reading the books as I did :eek:

16. Rated Red

If you've read a book and thoroughly enjoyed it, it's pretty difficult not to compare the two because you already have the storyline and it's characters imbedded into your brain. Once you sit down to watch the film picking it apart for all it's shortcomings is only natural :D

17. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

Yeah, I knew that this would probably happen, but I was *so* excited to watch this movie, that I did it anyway lol

I'm lucky enough to be able to differentiate between the two anyway; so even though all the changes might be a bit annoying, I can still admit, that it's a decent movie anyway.
    Or at least - that I can still enjoy it.

Same with Resident Evil - The games were great, the movies were fun too.
    Just not as RE-like I would have expected them to be.
    Just like the RE5 was nice and fun game, but was different to the classics :D

18. aikiMac

"Twilight Revisited" -- as in the vampire story set in Forks, Washington, but with 98% of the sexes switched. This time Edward and Jacob are girls, and Dr. Cullen is a girl, and Bella is a boy. Actually, the only characters who stayed the same are Bella's parents.

I'm finding it much better than the original, which doesn't mean much considering that the original was poorly written. So far the boy-Bella is a lot less moody and wimpy than the girl-Bella, and the paragraphs are tighter. In the original version Meyers could write for four pages and say nothing at all. I haven't encountered that yet in this re-write ... but the boy-Bella doesn't yet know that his classmate is a vampire.

19. Ben Gash CLF

Ben Gash CLF Valued Member

I'm reading Postcapitalism by Paul Mason and it's fascinating.

20. Latikos

Latikos Valued Member

I finished the "Maze Runner"-trilogy, and quite enjoyed it.

I stay with "in the beginning took me a while to get into it" but after that they were rather enjoyable.

And I knew that couldn't have been all with Gally :D

And what wasn't much of a surprise: In the end they wanted to actual brain of Thomas.
    I wasn't the only expecting that with time, was I?

Started reading "Star Wars: The Force Awakens" by Alan Dean Foster.
    I loved his "Alien(s)" book and SW seems to be just as good, but I'm only at page 70.

I really like the way he writes and should try out some of his other books :thinking: