What bodypart would you strike first ???

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by Jesh, Jul 16, 2005.

?

What bodypart would you strike first ???

1. Head

20 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Torso

3 vote(s)
    5.0%
  3. Arms/Hands

30 vote(s)
    50.0%
  4. Legs

7 vote(s)
    11.7%
  1. chenstyle44

chenstyle44 Valued Member

first

Hi,
    I would definitely hit the hands first to take away their primary weapon. With the stick fighting we usually hit the weapon hand right away. Its also the thing flying at you really fast with a big stick attached to it. I hate that thing. GET RID OF IT!! :mad:
    I also like to go low when someone is coming with a broad overhand strike. I usually like to take a knee shot here, although there is the danger of taking out buddies kneecap, but hey thats what its all about, realistically. Also, I will stay above the waist if they have no shin guards or knee protection.
    Regards,
    Gordon

2. chenstyle44

chenstyle44 Valued Member

first

Hi,
    I would definitely hit the hands first to take away their primary weapon. With the stick fighting we usually hit the weapon hand right away. Its also the thing flying at you really fast with a big stick attached to it. I hate that thing. GET RID OF IT!! :mad:
    I also like to go low when someone is coming with a broad overhand strike. I usually like to take a knee shot here, although there is the danger of taking out buddies kneecap, but hey thats what its all about, realistically.
    I will stay above the waist if they have no shin guards or knee protection.
    Regards,
    Gordon

3. Jesh

Jesh Dutch Side Of The Force

I doubt if there is ANYTHING to find that's clean in a student house :eek:.

Always a nice thing :D.

4. RedBagani

RedBagani Valued Member

2-cents

I don't know why I am responding to this question. It assumes so many things. Okay, my 2-cents...

As a trainer of private security guards, part of my job is to teach trainees how to respond to knife attacks. One day I was teaching some guys how to use their night-sticks (12 inches long) to neutralize a knife-wielder. One wise guy asks me what I would do if the guy had a really long knife, such as a samurai sword. I gave wise guy a looong stick, stood very close to him and asked' "Like this?" Wise guy prepares to whack me and I **** my weapon hand, which has the desired effect of making him look at my nightstick, and I instantly slap him on the forehead with my other hand.

Wise guy asks me what I could possibly do from 2 meters away, where he can step and hit me, and i still wouldn't reach him with my nightstick. I move back and ask,"Like this?". He nods happily and proceeds to attack. Whereby I **** my weapon hand and throw the nightstick at him. It hits him in the chest and distracts him. I immediately go down and drop him with a leg-scissors.

Moral of the Story: Think Outside of the Box. Always.

Going into battle with a fixed plan is unwise. Always adapt to the actual situation. Why think of going for the head, torso, hands, legs, etc before a fight? You get locked into a mindset that is limiting. Always be unpredictable. As an amateur criminologist, I prefer to deal with facts rather than speculation. Statistics should deal with what has already been done rather than what may be done, in order to be of any street or practical value. The original question should probably have been worded as: Which body-part did you first hit in a fight?

5. soon

soon New Member

Angela Lansbury School of Self Defence :D :D :D :D

6. RedBagani

RedBagani Valued Member

Jokers

Hehehe. Did you know the best amateur criminologists are hired killers? Well, I hope to meet you, soon. Hehehe

Kidding aside. Yes, I am a Certified Security Professional from the Angela Landsbury Academy. We are taught how to make great stories.

7. Jesh

I know what you mean Red... I was just curious what would come to mind first.
    In a real situation you have to adapt, so you would never hit the same spot...

8. RedBagani

RedBagani Valued Member

It depends on Who is hitting

Hello Jesh,
    I'd like to contribute a bit more. As I mentioned before, the question appears to be simple and requires a simple, straight-forward answer. I think the issue is more complex. I think the answer will also depend on who will be doing the hitting.
    1. The criminally insane prefers to first hit a person at the back of the head. (What makes you think they prefer to attack from the front?)
    2. The sadistic jail-guard will prefer the blow across the back with a rubber-hose, or knee the tailbone, causing the recipient to do a hilarious dance on the floor.
    3.When a Manila policeman accosts you in a dark alley, you can be certain that the first thing to be hit will be your wallet.
    Cheers

9. Brunstick

Brunstick (^_^) I need a girlfriend

this is so sad, but it's so true. after taking your money, they'll then proceed to plant "evidence" on your body too.

-nico-

10. RedBagani

RedBagani Valued Member

Fastest Reaction Time

Well, in fairness to the Manila police, research has shown that they have the fastest response time compared to cops in other countries.
    In the United Kingdom, cops are able to respond to a call for help in 5 minutes. In Tokyo, it is 2 minutes. In the Philippines, the cop is already present while a crime is being committed.

Going back to the original question and why I find that it is not as simple as it sounds. The question assumes that the mode of attack is what Bruce Lee called the Simple, Direct Attack (SDA) which does not always work. Oftentimes, one has to go the indirect route. Desirable targets cannot always be reached with the first strike so cunning has to be employed. Let me elaborate this concept:
    You are taking a shower, and a fellow inmate drops his bar of soap that slides past you. He asks you politely to please hand the soap to him. You oblige by turning around and bending over to pick up the soap. Now, you have just presented a wonderful target of opportunity to all the inmates present.

I have more valuable statistics regarding this topic, Jesh. I hope you appreciate the info I have provided. Thank you for giving me the opportunity to share.

11. Jesh

Thanks for the info Red... always looking out for more opinions :D... So if someone else feels like sharing, bring it on...

12. Brunstick

Brunstick (^_^) I need a girlfriend

yep, so true... *sigh*

now that's what i call sneaky!!! sneaky, and yet i kinda didn't want the image in my head right before i go to sleep. :p

-nico-

13. tellner

tellner Valued Member

What weapon? Why am I hitting this guy? How much danger am I in?

For example...

1) Gun, he's about to kill me, ditto.
    Center of mass. Pelvis if he doesn't have a gun

2) Stick, part of my job, not too much
    thigh, upper arm

3) ditto, self defense, lots
    head, knee, bladder, neck

4) knife, he's trying to rape my three year old daughter with a broken Coke bottle, figure it out...
    as many soft places he can't do without as I can reach, many many times

14. Juego Todo

Juego Todo Stay thirsty, my friends.

...Whichever bodypart he doesn't mind losing! Afterall, there must be a reason why we have 10 toes, 10 fingers, etc. If he so chooses to sacrifice his finger, no worries...he's got 9 more to go! :D

I'm a leg man (Ann Margret back in the day...yowza!), me believeth. Standing straight up, looking at his right ear, only to quickly whack his left kneecap to Borneo... :Angel: Hitting the head is great, but potentially lethal and may be overkill if the situation does not demand lethal force. Besides, instinctively, most people are very protective of their heads. Shooting low seems like a viable option, me thinketh.

Seriously...like most of you said...whatever happens to be closest and readily available.

Next...

Last edited: Aug 6, 2005
  15. spacefuzz

spacefuzz New Member

the first hit would be me hitting on some drunk guys girlfriend.....

16. Obi

Obi New Member

Dag Nab it i was gonna right that :p

yeah personally id like to hit him harder and with a bigger stick really hard to knock them out kick them in balls and run like hell

failing that grab the nearest old lady to take their first strike then counter over her

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 5, 2005