What BJJ Is?

Discussion in 'Brazilian Jiu Jitsu' started by Christopher789, Jun 19, 2022.

1. Christopher789

Christopher789 New Member

I would love to add an basic defination of what actually bjj is?
    (link deleted)
    Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is a martial art that combines wrestling, grappling, and ground fighting with kicks, strikes, and submission holds. It is the only martial art that was developed by Brazilians. Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is a martial art that combines wrestling, grappling, and ground fighting with kicks, strikes, and submission holds. It is the only martial art that was developed by Brazilians.

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 19, 2022
  2. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Mod Note: Welcome to MAP. Feel free to post the entire article here and we would be happy to read and discuss. However, if you are using MAP to direct people to your blog/ site, we ask for you to contribute to the costs of keepimg MAP running. Please contact listowners Simon or Mitch for advertising rates. This, and all our Terms of Service policies, can be found by clicking on the "Terms and Rules" button on the bottom right hand corner of every page. :)

3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Rewrote it to make it less clickbaity:

Brazilian Jiu Jitsu is a martial art that combines early era judo and some catch wrestling, with a particular focus on, ground fighting and submission holds, there is also a focus on being able to use the art within MMA ruleset, which means simple striking/striking defense could also be covered.

4. Flying Crane

Flying Crane Well-Known Member

And of course we have all heard of capoeira.

axelb, Dead_pool and aaradia like this.
  5. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I wasn't aware that BJJ has strikes and kicking. Does it really? Or is MMA being mixed up with BJJ here?

Also, only art from Brazil? In addition to Capoira, as Flying Crane mentioned, Google says..........

"Wikipedia:
    Brazilian martial arts may refer to:

• Vale tudo (English: anything goes) are full-contact unarmed combat events, with a limited number of rules, that became popular in Brazil during the 20th century, later begin an influence to the development of MMA
    • Luta Livre, a self-defense martial-art mixture of Catch Wrestling and Judo, divided between Esportivo (Sports) and Vale Tudo (Anything goes) styles
    • Huka-huka, a form of indigenous folk wrestling practiced by the Yawalapiti people
    • Kombato, a self-defense Military Martial Art created for the Brazilian Armed Forces (Mainly used by the Brazilian Navy and Brazilian Marine Corps) and for bodyguards
    • Tarracá, a form of folk wrestling from the Brazilian northeast"

There is also this article that reiterates what Wikipedia said, since Wikipedia isn't always the most reliable source. Brazilian Martial Arts And Their 5 Popular Types - Martial Arts Lab

Last edited: Jun 20, 2022
    axelb and Dead_pool like this.
  6. Dead_pool

Classic Gracie JJ has lots of self defense work which includes some striking and defense from striking.

Some modern style clubs will also run MMA training which as well as wrestling and kickboxing, will include some specific groundwork striking/striking defence, my gym for example won't grade higher grades without having an ability in all those areas.

As another example Carson Gracie in the UK have a very strong beginners class format where they do SD work Vs someone trying to hit them whilst wearing boxing gloves etc .

axelb likes this.
  7. Dead_pool

Technically that was created in Africa, but in the same way BJJ was created in Japan.

Misleading clickbait definition is misleading.

axelb likes this.
  8. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I used to be on another forum and the debate on whether BJJ has strikes or not went on literally for years.
    It's not a cut and dry answer IMHO because you have different manifestations of BJJ used in different areas.
    If we think back to when BJJ first came to prominence in the first UFC's I'd say it does have strikes. Not perhaps strikes with the intent of ending the confrontation but strikes to back up the core strategy of BJJ (clinch, takedown, improve position, submit).
    Royce, Rickson and a lot of the fighters using BJJ all used strikes. Low line side kicks to maintain distance, standing slaps and punches to get the other fighter swinging back (so they could duck into the clinch) and plenty of strikes on the ground to make the opponent move and defend to open up submissions.
    BUT...it doesn't have strikes in its competition format (although combat JJ rules now allow slaps and palms).
    Strikes aren't the primary offensive weapon (like they are in say boxing, TKD, karate, etc) but I'd say they are definitely part of BJJ.

aaradia likes this.
  9. Flying Crane

Elements of African methods were brought to Brazil and became capoeira there, likely mixing with some Indigenous and European stuff too. But what we know as capoeira came about in Brazil, it did not exist in Africa.

aaradia and Dead_pool like this.
  10. Dead_pool

The same as bjj and Japan, I'm agreeing with you!

Flying Crane likes this.
  11. Flying Crane

Gotcha. Sometimes it’s easy to misunderstand the intended message here in the forums. It’s an occupational hazard of the venue.

Dead_pool likes this.
  12. Dead_pool

I can be unclear at times too, especially when tired, which is like 95% of my life now! Haha

Flying Crane likes this.