What Belt In Judo Are You?

Discussion in 'Judo' started by TAPOUT, Aug 13, 2003.

1. MartinBlackbelt

MartinBlackbelt New Member

I'm third Dan, training judo for 10 years now.

2. Posiview

Posiview New Member

What do you mean by "points"?

3. Judo

Judo New Member

ive been doing judo for about 6 months now and am a yellow belt but at the next grading on the 4th of july i am hopefully going for my top orange and hopefully i will get my green belt before the end of the year.

4. brown belt

brown belt New Member

chris is this a judo forum filled with white belts i thought there would be more dan grades

5. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

To get your dan grade in the BJA you build up a number of points from competitions, based on how many waza-ari and ippon you get. Once you reach a certain target you get the grade.

6. Jim

Jim New Member

More Dan grades? Why?

7. blackbelt_judoj

blackbelt_judoj New Member

Because we are obviously better people!! Duh! ;)

8. Judo_Goddess

Judo_Goddess New Member

im a top brown with 10 points toward my black!! only 90 more to go :)

9. judoka-san

judoka-san New Member

Green belt, have been for about a year now. Total judo experience=~3.5 years. I took it for 2-2.5 years when I was 19ish, now I am 29ish and here we go again. This time bringing the pups along with me. Gotta teach'em to be tough early. It's a hard world out there in public school these days.

Just wanted to support some of the other statements in the thread: I think the politics is a little troublesome, and the sport aspect has taken away from the overall self defense style too, IMHO. But d@mn I love fighting in tournaments!!! Big guys like me, 90% of the time it is a strength leverage battle, and then ground position, or who wears out first. Luckily I am at the lower end of the over 100Kg, about 268lbs. 6'3" ish. My coach keeps telling me play like a little man!!!! Move!!! Move!!! Be quick!!! I want to say, you try being big for a day and see what it's like! :)

Last edited: Jul 22, 2004
  10. Shikamaru

Shikamaru New Member

As I have never trained in Judo, Ill just state what my father was. He was second dan and could have been higher if he stayed on longer. He was also British Champion in the late Sixties.

11. Dave Rees

Dave Rees Old Git!

I am a blue belt (2nd Kyu) but stopped training about 2 years ago due to recurring injuries, love Judo still though & miss it. Now doing Choi Kwang-Do.

12. englishpremier

englishpremier Valued Member

I just started today, i don't even have a Gi but i'm definatly going to get more into Judo, i found it good fun.

13. Detsawm

Detsawm New Member

Blue belt, but i was the Southern England Champion for 2 years in the under 50 kilo category. Stopped for 2 years now though while i do GCSE's :( I did it for 7 years though and i still love it so i'll go back nxt year :)

14. judoboxer

judoboxer New Member

I am currently senior brown belt at the age of 17!

15. MuayKiDo

MuayKiDo Che!

Green belt, almost blue. I quit training a long time ago. Feel kinda sad about i now :cry:

16. I was Yellow belt 3Tags (6th MON I think). But I stopped about 2 years ago. Anyway, I'm resuming on Thursday of this week when I've found my license again (If I don't will I lose the belt, or do I still have this belt?). I'm pretty sure I know where it is :D ;)

EDIT: Found my license and I'm now on senior grades. I have a photographic memory and can still remember almost all of the theory. What's the minimum time I can wait for my "first" new theory test bearing in mind my 2 year absence?

Thanks

Last edited: Oct 5, 2004
  17. Jason Simpson

Jason Simpson New Member

Hey everyone.

4th Dan at the moment, but gave up grading a few years ago, again because of the politics.

18. Lucius

Lucius Valued Member

I'm a white belt :eek: but I've only been doing it a month.
    I'm a Shotokan nidan and have been doing Muay Thai for the last year and a half too.
    Judo is great, but I'm finding it hard adapting. God loves a trier though! :D

19. Aegis

Aegis River Guardian Admin Supporter

Jason: which association are you with? Presumably if you got your 4th dan a few years ago you can't be in the BJA, as they have time requirements which you couldn't have fulfilled by now... Are you BJC or some other association?

Note: I was working off the old time requirements, I've just had a look and seen that it is possible.. When did you get the 4th Dan?

20. Jason Simpson

Jason Simpson New Member

AJA, also 2nd Dan BJA. I got my second Dan 2 years ago, Fourth 3 years ago. This is probably going to confuse everyone else! Its the BJA politics that ruined it for me, the AJA have always been excellent, especially if your club is AJA.