What arts use bo's?

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by craigwarren, Mar 13, 2003.

1. craigwarren

craigwarren Valued Member

Can anyone tell me what martial arts actually use bo's, better yet are there any martial arts which are entirely based around bo's?

2. YODA

YODA The Woofing Admin Supporter

Do you mean Bo's as in 6 foot Japanese staff or just staffs in general.

Many Filipino arts include staff - it's an area im working on in particular myself at the moment.

3. craigwarren

Thanx yoda, actually i was suppost to go to your class for martial arts against cancer at heriot watt but i was called into work. Are there any places in central scotland where staff techniques are taught?

4. YODA

Not that I know of - maybe some of your fellow Scots here will have some info?

5. Pacificshore

Pacificshore Hit n RUN!

If you are able to find any traditional Okinawan based art near you, you'll probably find that they teach traditional Okinawan weapons too. It is also known as Okinawan Kobudo which covers the bo, nunchuks, sai, kama, and eku(oar). You may even want to look into some of the Chinese arts, as they too have weapons training in their curriculum, one being the bo as well as other countless weapons. The difference will be in how the weapons are manipulated.

6. YODA

What are your goals with the Bo?

Are you interested in it from a historical perspctive - do you want to learn to fight with a staff? Both?

7. craigwarren

I guess its just one of those things that look pretty cool and could be a very practicle thing to be able to use. Im much more interested in being able to fight with a staff than the historical views though.

8. Solane

Solane New Member

Ninjutsu uses the Bo but my instructors tended to focus on the hanbo (3 ft Staff) as you are more likely to have a modern equivalent to hand i.e. walking stick, large umbrella etc

Hope that helps

Solane

9. TkdWarrior

TkdWarrior Valued Member

a pick n history of Bo might be helpful for me :), anyone??
    -TkdWarrior-

10. YODA

One thing you must do Craig IMHO is not get fixated on a standard length or weight of staff. I consider any impact weapon (non flexible) that is easier to use two handed rather than one handed to be a staff. This could be a snapped-off broom (light and pointy), a piece of scaffolding pole, a piece of 4x2, whatever. You need to be familiar with a wide array of sizes & weights - for familiar read "train & spar with".

Don't get caught up in cultural issues either - Japanese, Filipino, Chinese, European - all have their strengths & weakneses - research them all.

11. Bushido_Kai

Bushido_Kai New Member

I agree whole heartedly yoda. I myself am very interested in furthering my fledgling interest and practice with the bokan (bo). i share my sensei and your sentiments. there is no such thing as a superior martial art, only superior martial artists. it's too bad all over you are across the pond. i've only been studying for a year and a half and i'd be terribly intimidated. but i could learn a grand amount from all of you i'm sure.

12. johndoch

johndoch upurs

All this talk of bo's and no mention of the poor ignored arrows:(

13. USTSDA2003

USTSDA2003 New Member

Tang Soo Do uses the bo. :yeleyes:

14. YODA

I have a strong suspicion that Bo-Jutsu may use the Bo too :D

15. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

I've seen the Bo used in kyokushinkai too. Motly in demo's though

16. kobudo_tob

kobudo_tob Valued Member

Woah, YODA show down........its too much for me to take in.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to attend my meeting to discuss the Sun revolving around the Earth.

17. Sonshu

Sonshu Buzz me on facebook

Ninjitsu (Taijitsu)

These guys use it and use it well.

There are a few good clubs in scotland- good style for weapons all round and worth a look.

SONSHU

18. YODA

Let us know how that meeting goes bud - they'll be telling us that the earth isn't flat next! :D

19. owihitmyself

owihitmyself New Member

bo staff newb

hey since you guys are on the topic of bos i just bought a 6' tapered ash staff. i would like to make it my primary focus, but also incorporate 5 years of kicking martial arts into technique (taequando). realistic to incorporate kicking into bo form or no? also, online recources that anyone knows of for instruction? thx.

20. zun

zun New Member

Taiji chaun uses a bo. It's also got a walking-stick version too!