What are your strategies for grip-fighting?

Discussion in 'Judo' started by callsignfuzzy, Sep 17, 2012.

1. callsignfuzzy

callsignfuzzy Is not a number!

Basically, what grips are you looking for? Where do you go once you've got it established? Are there any grips you look for, defensively?

I mostly do no-gi grappling and know exactly what controls I want to go for in that scenario, but, especially for throwing, I'm still at a bit of a loss how to apply those skills in a gi.

2. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Common sense tell us that in:

- striking art, if your opponent can't shift weight on his leading leg, he can't punch you.
    - throwing art, if your opponent can't touch his hands on you, he can't throw you.

You try to achieve the following situation:

- You have 1 grip on your opponent when he has no grip on you.
    - You have 2 grips on your opponent when he has only 1 grip on you.

If your opponent has 2 grips on you, you should break it ASAP with all cost.

Leading arm control (major grip) is what you are looking for. Make sure when you obtain it, your opponent has no grip on you. When he tries to grab you, you move in, obtain your minor grip, and execute your throw right at that moment (without any waiting).

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  3. Princess Haru

Princess Haru Valued Member

I'm still a newbie at Judo but finding I have to adopt different grips for the height and attacking style of my partner. High grips mostly won't work on a taller person, except maybe Sumi Gaeshi. I also find if I really can't break someone's grip then I'm in trouble

4. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Alway inside control, and taking the low sleave control and putting it down into there pocket is excellent for some leg attacks.

5. Herbo

Herbo Valued Member

Aim for an inside grip on the lapel, this allows you to raise their arm to the outside making it easier for you to get your hips in.

Assuming your fighting Ai-yotsu e.g. righty vs righty, then you should attempt to "pin" your opponents leading hand so they cannot dominate you with it.

I fight left v right 90% of the time so can give more insight into that if people are interested.

6. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

- It's alwys better to fight from inside (short distance) and from top (weight advantage).
    - The elbow control is always better than the sleeve hold (less freedom for your opponent).
    - You should have a clear understanding the function and priority difference between "major hand" and "minor hand" (the order to obtain and proper trade off).

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  7. Pompeythegreat

Pompeythegreat Im Very White Aparently

I mainly fight lefty any help would be appreciated. thanks

8. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Are you and your opponent in "uniform stance (same side forward)" or "mirror stance (different side forward)"? If it's in mirror stance, your left leading hand can easily get your opponent's right elbow.

9. gapjumper

gapjumper Intentionally left blank

Could you expand on this? Not sure I'm understanding.

10. Pompeythegreat

We mainly stand in Mirror stance. Im not sure what you mean by the grip though, I have always been to told to get the collar with my left hand.

11. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

wierdly thats one of his few posts I do understand! Without shifting weight (forward) its hard to generate Power (forward).

12. gapjumper

Not even downwards?

He says "without shifting weight on his leading leg". Is power really limited completely by that?

I can still punch if my weight is already on my leading leg.

13. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

In order for your opponent to punch you, he has to shift at least 30% of his weight on his leading leg. If you just keep

- stepping on his leading leg knee, or
    - sweeping his leading leg,

and not allow him to put any weight on his front leg, he can't punch you.

14. gapjumper

Oh?

Sounds...odd to me....

What is your reasoning here?

15. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

Are you a left hand person? If you are, your left hand collar grip is the "minor hand", your right hand sleeve grip is the "major hand".

16. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

The distance.

In order for your opponent to reach you, he has to step forward. If you can stop his forward movement by knee stepping of foot sweeping, he can't reach you. A good example is to use machine gun to shot at your opponent's feet. As long as you may keep him busy and jump up and down to dodge your bullets, he won't have time to punch you. You have just put your opponent in defense mode.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  17. Pompeythegreat

Yes I am left handed, I think i know what your getting at.
    Does the major hand grip offer more control than the minor had?

18. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

You can throw your opponent by "major hand" only. With major hand sleeve hold, you can throw yourself and drag your opponent down. You can't throw your opponent by "minor hand" along.

In the following clip, you can see that you don't need your minor hand collar hold to throw your opponent.

http://www.judoinfo.com/images/animations/blue/hanemakikomi.htm

19. gapjumper

And if the distance is closed by some other method? Or if he's on his back foot as you advance?

But where did your "30% rule" come from?

20. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

I thought I have always used plain English along with pictures or clips to explain myself.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012