What Are Some Good Exercises for Improving Balance?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by AndrewTheAndroid, Dec 14, 2010.

1. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

I have really poor balance and would like to know how I can improve it. Not just for martial arts, but in general. I've had several people tell me over the years that they are affraid that I am going to fall over or that I appear inebriated. What can I do???

2. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

single leg toe touches with your opposite hand. I work this drill tons and work many of my clients through it.

http://www.livestrong.com/video/4046-do-single-leg-exercises/

great drill that. love it.

Try it with also bringing your non supporting leg forward to flag and dorsiflex the foot - eg. lengthen the hamstring on your free leg by bringing your toes back towards your knee.
    Try it with your eyes closed (bloody near impossible)
    Try both before and after your workouts.

Notice that you will be one side dominant. If you kick primarily with your right leg... your left leg as supporting leg will be solid. But your right leg will suck and fatigue much faster.

3. SeongIn

SeongIn Banned Banned

Stand on one foot and don't fall :eek:

4. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

5. Creon

Creon New Member

I'm rather dyspraxic and could only manage 10 on each leg, with a lot of wobbling and having to regain my balance inbetween. If I do this every day, will I see a benefit after a while?

6. johnferrignon

johnferrignon Valued Member

hey guys since this thread is about balance, I want to ask if power balance is really true?

7. SenseiMattKlein

SenseiMattKlein Engage, Maverick

8. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

One reason for poor balance can be a lack of glute firing. It is one of my problems and was pointed out to me by a physio. There are a number of exercises that can be used to get your glutes working properly, including single and double leg bridging, bird dogs and kneeling squats. These exercises will also help with poor posture and strength/power work

http://stronglifts.com/how-to-optimize-posterior-chain-power-glute-activation/

9. SenseiMattKlein

SenseiMattKlein Engage, Maverick

10. AndrewTheAndroid

AndrewTheAndroid A hero for fun.

11. icefield

icefield Valued Member

lft heavy free weights :)

12. Kuma

Kuma Lurking about

Overhead squats are the bee's knees for overall body balance in my opinion. Any kind of unilateral work where you're exercising on one arm or one leg will also develop your balance better. Static-wise, raising your legs in chamber and holding for time helps, as does some standing meditation poses.