What are both the pros and cons of training in Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by thegoodguy, May 20, 2018.

1. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Would you say that there is generally an inverse correlation between skill level and how much they court publicity?

2. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Yes there tends to be unfortunately

I feel that in order to get good at this martial art you have to be comfortable with failing, be highly self critical (especially in a style with limited pressure testing) and humble enough to know where you need to seek out corrections / tuition

Generally people with these characteristics don't want their technique on show because when they look at it they see the flaws rather than what's good about it. So you don't really see much of these folk in the public domain

David Harrison likes this.
  3. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

When you say failing, what part of your regular bjkn training involves the risk of failure?

4. Dunc

As you know most Buj dojos don't do much randori - although for those that do it's clear probably

Either way if you train correctly with your partner then it's obvious when you screw up. You'll be open, there'll be a gap, your opponent won't be taken down, your opponent won't be hit, they won't tap, you'll resort to muscling, the flow will be off, your teacher will correct you etc etc

5. Dead_pool

But if you've started your own dojo, have no teacher apart from "the boss" and you have no self awareness, it's very easy to kid yourself, the failure in the system isn't obvious...... Hence van donk etc

Knee Rider likes this.
  6. Dunc

Yes absolutely

Dead_pool likes this.
  7. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

Ninjutsu might be the worst offender of belts not counting for anything at the highest levels. It's downright unfair on people new to martial arts to discover for themselves what works and what doesn't.

Dead_pool likes this.
  8. Dunc

I don't disagree

I think this applies to the vast majority of arts TBH - less so for the sporting styles perhaps as they have a clearly defined objective, but even still many of these market themselves as teaching SD for example

You can probably find some equally poor clips from Bujinkan people, but always worth noting that BBD has nothing to do with the Bujinkan and anyone can call themselves a ninja

9. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

And yet, what RVD shows in that clip is simply no worse than things I've seen demoed by Hatsumi. There is simply no disputing that. The difference is that people simply rationalise it differently.

10. Pretty In Pink

True, except one of those B's stands for "Bujinkan" and the only instructor he's ever had was Hatsumi.

Dead_pool likes this.
  11. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Always thought "Brian" was the worst name to put in a martial arts organisation.
    "Welease Bwian!"

Nojon likes this.
  12. baby cart

baby cart Valued Member

No, it counts for something: a sign of money and connections. If you don't have money to pay for the grade, you can't wear it. If you don't have proper connections (aka shihan) that will recommend you as deserving of the rank, no way will you reach that rank.

In the age of youtube, being stupid (to simply believe in it) and lazy (to not check it out and research it) is not an excuse to lament a newbie's task of discovering what is effective as being unfair.

13. Pretty In Pink

Well I was both then, because I was a student at the club referenced in my above post.

Dead_pool likes this.
  14. Dunc

That’s a shame and I’m sorry that you wasted time there

Brian didn’t really train much with Hatsumi (I think a couple of short trips to Japan) and left in the 90s to do his own thing
    Strangely he chose to keep the word Bujinkan in the name of his org - passing off in my view

15. Pretty In Pink

Well I can't really hold that against Ninjutsu. BJJ has its own share of fakers who we out.

I would like to point out though that one of the black belts done their grading in Japan under Hatsumi.

There is just so much that annoys me about Ninjutsu I don't even know where to start.

16. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

I think that's a bit harsh. A newbie has access to a lot of info in the internet age, sure, but that info is often contradictory and the newbie lacks the knowledge to sort out which is reliable and which is not. In my opinion, a lot of people won't be able to really analyze that info to separate the wheat from the chaff until they've trained for a bit and at least tried out a couple different styles.

axelb, Dunc, Dead_pool and 2 others like this.
  17. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

I agree. I think it can be a matter of establishing 'fit' or taste and understanding what parameters exist in training and what you are prepared to make consessions over. Which can often only come through some experience.

I think dunc's post did a pretty good job of summing up the pros and cons and what sort of cost-benefit analysis you might be making as an informed prospective student.

With that said, it's also probably pretty easy to look at BJK training as someone without a massive ninja fetish or a romantic ideological perspective on the martial arts and give it a hard and emphatic 'no cheers'.

I doubt many prospective students are coming from that place though.

18. Dead_pool

Wierdly though, Brian was given a 7th Dan, and helped set up the bujinkan in Europe, so you can see why he thought he knew what he was doing, (although he didn't) and at least the BBD used to spar, and do ground work well before the UFC was popular, I trained under the BBD a long time ago, and even though it was massively flawed, all the Blackbelts could fight, and were quite happy to spar anyone, which you can't say about the bujinkan as a whole.

axelb and Knee Rider like this.
  19. Dunc

I trained with the BBD in the early 90s - no sparring or ground work at that time

20. Dead_pool

I was there 96-98 and there was lots of it,
    They called it kumite for kyokushin style no pads striking only, randori was judo style grappling, jiyu kumite was everything in, and ne waza randori was groundwork starting from kneeling.

Edit: and tanto defence randori, lots of that, lots of getting whacked hard by the wooden tanto, and success was either putting them down, or getting to the exit door of the room.

I went to four "matsuri" and clubs all over the UK and Ireland did the same, perhaps it came after the split.