What are both the pros and cons of training in Bujinkan Budo Taijutsu?

Discussion in 'General Martial Arts Discussion' started by thegoodguy, May 20, 2018.

1. David Harrison

David Harrison MAPper without portfolio

Fair enough, I'm no expert on Stephan Kesting, and took his comments at face value.

2. thegoodguy

thegoodguy Valued Member

This is an example of how unrealistic the bujinkan techniques are:

Last edited: Jun 11, 2018
    Knee Rider and Dead_pool like this.
  3. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

"This video is about when people who train a ton of martial arts spar for the first time" - first line of video

Whether you like it or not, the issue of training for a significant period of time without sparring or pressure is far more common in traditional/pseudo traditional arts than combat sport arts.

His statement about martial artists who either don't spar or spar infrequently reverting to bad boxing/kickboxing is true to my experience and I've trained in a ton of arts that use sparring as an addendum rather than central to their method. I really don't think there is anything arrogant about it.

I know you are quick to jump on anything that positions itself as opposed to 'traditional' arts especially if it's operating from an 'mma' perspective but really, in this instance I think the overall point is extremely valid.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    BohemianRapsody and Dead_pool like this.
  4. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Your experience is the same as mine,
    And I'd go further to say it especially looks like bad kick boxing when they have to spar someone from outside their art and not under their systems particular restricted rule set.

As for looking like good or bad kick boxing well good structure and mechanics are universal ie full.contact stick fighting looks the same the world over, same strikes and footwork generally . grappling looks the same the world over given differences in rule sets, ie no GI judo throws and takedowns look like free style wrestling because good mechanics are universal.

Why should striking be different? If an art looks totally different to how professional fighters look when striking or moving then I'm suspicious they have anything worthwhile to learn

5. Dunc

Dunc Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

The Bujinkan curriculum is essentially comprised of old martial arts from Japan. It has an amazing array of techniques that are both relevant for self defence situations and historically interesting

There are very good reasons why some styles choose not to spar certain techniques. For example in BJJ you don't spar/pressure test the self defence curriculum, Kano-sensei (founder fo Judo) advocated keeping doing both randori (sparring) and kata (self-defence drills) and kept the practices separate, and so on

Once a style starts to focus more and more on sparring things tend to change and often the self defence techniques take a back seat or are even lost over time. The Bujinkan has a great curriculum of techniques that answer common self defence situations but are largely ignored in many styles. For example a grab/push followed by a punch/stab is a very common self defence scenario and pretty front and central in the Bujinkan curriculum, but not trained much in many styles with a heavy sparring focus. You have to ask yourself why this is

So I think looking at sparring styles vs non-sparring styles in a binary way is very narrow minded. I love a lot of what Stephen Kesting says, but in my view he has a blind spot on this, probably because he wasted a lot of time on a particular style of kung fu

The type of training you'll see in the Bujinkan will vary from dojo to dojo. Some focus more on traditional stuff like weapons, some more on the unarmed curriculum, some will pressure test a bit, some will train very lightly and softly, and so on. The only advice I can give is to go visit the club and see what their focus is to decide if it's for you

Please, please don't look at clips of Richard Van Donk as a good representation of the art - the man is a nice guy, but an idiot in terms of martial arts

My vimeo page has a few clips that are a fair representation of training in a normal Bujinkan dojo, please judge this and shout if you feel anything I'm doing is unrealistic - I'll be happy to discuss and learn from the debate any time

Here's the link - Bujinkan London

Hope this helps

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
    David Harrison likes this.
  6. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Surely one of the few truisms of martial arts is that if you are unfamiliar with something it can/will shock, surprise and potentially defeat you should you encounter it.
    As far as I'm concerned that's one of the few reliable "truths" MMA has revealed to the world.
    That includes contact levels higher than you are used to, grappling when all you do is striking, striking when all you do is grappling, weapons when all you do is unarmed stuff, bare aggression and swearing when all you see in training is courtesy and friendship, leg kicks when all your kicks are above the waist, kick catching when your sparring rules don't allow them, sucker punches when all you do is touch gloves to start a round, etc etc.
    Kesting's basically pointing out that many people are unfamiliar with hard sparring even though they might "spar" in their martial art. And due to the unfamiliarity their technique and poise and composure go out the window and they resort to bad boxing/kicboxing.

I've had a few cases of people trying unfamiliar things on me (at least they thought it was unfamiliar).
    Some guy tried to hip throw me at Karate one time. Onto a hard wood floor. So I sunk my hips, pushed on his hips and killed the throw because I had just enough grappling knowledge (not much) to feel what he was doing.
    Had people up the contact in semi-contact sparring so, as I've done some heavy contact sparring myself, I upped my contact.

Dead_pool likes this.
  7. Dunc

Yes I agree with this & I'd argue that training at a good Bujinkan dojo will expose you to an unusually broad range of situations
    The first time you're thrown on a hard floor it's shocking, the first time someone tears at your flesh you freeze, the first time someone swings a stick at you it's confusing, the first time you see a blade coming at you it's shocking, the first time you get choked you get into a panic etc etc

I'd also argue that you need to get stuck in with some high intensity training frequently enough so you're familiar with it - so we agree on that point I think

8. Mitlov

Mitlov Shiny

It's not that first sentence I have a problem with. If you don't spar as part of your training (whether you do Japanese Jiu Jitsu or modern RBSD), the first time you get punched in the face unexpectedly, it's going to be pretty jarring. I'm fine with that.

It's the rest of the video, where he equates that problem with "traditional" (even if your traditional club free-spars on a weekly basis) and implies it doesn't ever exist with BJJ (even if you're learning BJJ from online videos instead of an in-person club...and remember he sells those videos).

You act like I'm some traditional-uber-alles partisan warrior. I'm not. About half of my time in combat sports and martial arts have been in Olympic sports (fencing and Olympic-style taekwondo). I personally was very much on the sport side of HEMA-versus-sport-fencing debates. And the primary reason I quit Shotokan was I wanted free-sparring to be part of my training and the particular Shotokan organization I was a part of didn't really do it to a significant degree. One of the things I really like about my Tang Soo Do school is that padwork and free sparring are very regular parts of my training. (Yes, the free sparring is light contact instead of full contact, but that's a personal cost - benefit choice I've made for a variety of reasons).

My main angle is, instead, that sometimes this forum reads like "MMA is the only valid way" and while I have a massive amount of respect for MMA in turning out capable fighters, I just don't think martial arts scene as a whole is a one-size-fits-all situation where everyone who does something besides MMA is "doing it wrong" and should be continually reminded as such on online forums.

9. icefield

icefield Valued Member

It's all about intent and intensity

The genius of kano was he realised the more you can limit how much you train compliantly and the more you develop a rule set which allows for safe full randori the better you will be when a confrontation happens. Likewise the weakest part of bjj is the self defence side precisely because its rehearsed you would be better doing an mma class and a Geoff Thompson seminar in all honestly.

The more your training is stilted towards partner work which is scripted the less prepared you are for when something truely bad happens, having someone swing a stick at you in a class environment is one thing but it no more prepares you for a real attack than being a judoka who occasionally plays with a weapon, at least the judoka will be used to real intensity and violence so won't be phased by that.

David Harrison and Dead_pool like this.
  10. Knee Rider

Knee Rider Valued Member Supporter

It's all good. You dislike MMA evangelising, you've said as much before and it's simply that which I'm highlighting and the extent to which this bias might inform your reaction/over reaction.

The problem with poorly integrated or nonexistent sparring is a problem predominantly within 'traditional' arts. It's not exclusive for sure; but what is exclusive is the disconnect between the physical material they train and what they produce under pressure: the process of sparring and having all your crane step to dragon grip to tiger palm fist and stance to the floating ribs disappears.
    He's using his experiences of (one) kajukenbo school to stand as an example of a particular problem in training and a metonym for the worst elements of TMA practice. I can relate to it. It might have been fairer to highlight that traditional isn't a euphemism for 'doesn't spar' but who cares? It doesn't really detract from the points made and hardly makes it a 'terrible video'.

Dead_pool likes this.
  11. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

The video makes some good points about arts that do not spar, and arts that spar under limited rulesets. Reality doesn't stop there though. Ever watched a pre-fight press-conference where two boxers end up going at each other? Doesn't look like boxing either.

Unfamiliar or heavily adrenalized environments/situations elicit instinctive reactions. Making the environment/situation familiar is the key to accessing trained reactions.

12. Dunc

Attempting to answer the question

Pros of Bujinkan training:

- Break falls from a multitude of angles/situations that work on hard floors
    - Grappling, striking & weapons integrated seamlessly in a single system of moving
    - Broad weapons curriculum: pretty much anything except guns are covered
    - Fighting / survival focus
    - You’ll get experience of being hit, thrown, locked, choked, poked etc with a fairly high degree of intensity
    - Highly technical dirty tricks & methods of deception that provide additional leverage to your technique
    - Training method that teaches you to respond in an unscripted way to your opponent’s attacks/responses
    - Some interesting historical insights & techniques
    - Inspiring philosophical approach to life and solving problems
    - Low injury rate

Cons of Bujinkan training:
    - Limited to no pressure testing (depending on the teacher)
    - Next to no ground fighting
    - You need to find a good teacher / club
    - You don’t get to participate in competitions
    - Not a big workout

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  13. David Harrison

In fairness, and as evidenced by dunc, it is Bujinkan members who I have read slagging Van Donk off more than anybody.

14. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

So if this van donk guy is so bad, he's not been graded highly has he?

I mean that would be a sign of terrible QC in a martial art wouldn't it.....

Knee Rider likes this.
  15. David Harrison

I'm told that's not the way grades work in the buj... ;)

16. Dunc

Yeah in the Buj one just has to get past the grade thing and look at the quality of the person

17. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

That's the way it works though isn't it?
    When someone's in Hatsumi's good books they are fine. As soon as they lose that then all of a sudden their grade means nothing, they were dumb westerners that were pandered to, they didn't actually receive the good stuff or true transmission, they didn't train in Japan enough etc etc.
    It's happened to Donk and Hayes and probably more.

Dead_pool likes this.
  18. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Unfortunately that's not the way anyone else uses grades, so it's a valid concern.

At least van donk/bujinkan doesn't grade online/by mail...

Knee Rider likes this.
  19. Dunc

I don't think it's about who's in who's good books - it's more about who is able to move well or is making good progress vs those who can't / aren't

You can over-rationalise it, but the reality is that grades are given more as a gift or a motivation to keep going rather than "you've reached this level now" - which is a different thing

Most people that I know in the buj totally ignore someone's grade and simply judge someone by the way they move & their character. For example I've had people come and teach me and my club who have 1/2 the dans than I had at the time - simply because their movement and knowledge was ahead of mine & I felt we'd all benefit from it

20. Dunc

It is an issue for people looking for somewhere to train who don't have the experience to discern a good martial artist from a rubbish one - I agree
    Although in RVD's case probably most novices can see it for themselves.....

Yeah he's an embarrassment in so many ways

Dead_pool likes this.