What about Wrestling???

Discussion in 'Other Styles' started by Undertaker, Jul 5, 2001.

1. Undertaker

Undertaker New Member

Thats a form of fighting, boohoo, alot of people think its bullsh*t, All the moves are staged but they hurt like a B****** when they are done to you, We need a forum for that, Ohh also, do you guys know anywhere in Glasgow that does Olympic or WWF style wrestling training, Last time I check there were none in Central Scotland, If I had the money to start a WWF Boot Camp in Scotland I think it would make a Fortune...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2002
  2. Cooler

Cooler Keepin The Peace Supporter

Wrestling

I don't know of anywhere in Glasgow that does Olympic or WWF style wrestling training but we will look into it for you and see what we can find.

Cooler.

3. hung fut mak

hung fut mak New Member

there is a wrestling club in eastkilbride look for it on the web , because i cant remember what the name of the center is . There is also a russian sambo club in hillington with a good instructor, sambo is a very effective fighting style with a sports element.

4. Bobzilla

Bobzilla New Member

The wrestling competitions and exhibitions are usually held in the John Wrights Sport Centrein East Kilbride. Can't remember their phone number at the moment but its easy enough to find in the good book.

:Angel:

5. Kendo_Cougar

Kendo_Cougar New Member

Wrestling. i have no Energy for that!

6. mmafiter

mmafiter New Member

Olympic style wrestling is awesome, and in my opinion one of the top 10 martial arts styles in terms of effectively using the techniques in real life situations. Here in Canada, you can go to most highschools and find a wrestling club, it's great!:)

I'm not a fan of the WWF stuff though.:rolleyes:

7. Andy Murray

Andy Murray Sadly passed away. Rest In Peace.

Could anyone give me some tips on Groundfighting?

Some general do's and dont's would be good

Also could anyone explain the 'mount' positions?

Thanks

Andy

8. Silver_no2

Silver_no2 Avenging Angel

Freeform is back in Edinburgh this weekend (he's working in Bristol over the summer) and will probably be very useful to talk to. I'll make sure that he gets on my computer at the weekend to message you about this.

I thought that you would know this already, being a happily married man and all! :D

9. Melanie

Melanie Bend the rules somewhat.. Supporter

Its funny Silver....I thought you would be the one to make that sort of association.

10. mattsylvester

mattsylvester One proud daddy!

Basically the mount is when you're sat on top of the bloke/girl you're fighting.

The Guard is when you're being sat on and pounded.

11. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

1. Don't end up on the ground.
    2. Once you inevitably have - don't hesitate to get back up
    3. Once you've failed to do that don't let them get a hold
    4. Once they've got a hold don't let them twist anything
    5. Once your limbs are dislocated try not to pass out
    6. Do struggle
    7. Do poke the other guy in the eyes, nose, neck, anywhere sensitive (don't try the mouth, a friend of mine is missing the tip of his finger for trying that)
    8. Do spit
    9. Do scream and yell
    10. Do hit them with anything to hand, beer bottles, mobile phones, small children

12. mattsylvester

mattsylvester One proud daddy!

Small children are especially effect in my experience. So effective that I studied Kiddy Ryu along with Oishat Mauyself, Begand Grovel Do, and Mummy Helpryu. :0)

It's the flailing limbs that help you see :0)

Better stop now or I'll upset everyone. :0)

13. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

Well, lets see. MMAfiter and Yoda know far more about this sort of thing than I do but I'll give you my 2 cents.

The mount is a position which places you on top of your opponent who is face up, your generally sat just above their hips and have effectively imobilised their lower body. From here you can do the now imfamous 'Ground n Pound' as you have superior leverage for striking.
    From the flip side, when someone has you in the mount and its locked in properly (Silvers quite good at this ;) ) your basically f***ed. Protect your head with your arms, try to get it closer to your opponents chest to make it harder for him to hit you. you can maybe try for an armbar, but its quite difficult (alternatively you can ram your fingers into his eyes and throat to try to create a weak point). Striking from heres very difficult as you only have your arm and shoulder to power it. Whatever you do, DO NOT try and turn over onto your front, sure you've now got more purchase but the guys now hitting your unprotected head and back.

The guard is where someone has put you on your back and tried to come over and land on top of you. The opponent is positioned between your legs which should wrap around just above their hips to give you control over their lower half. From here you can use the extra leverage to apply chokes/headlocks or alternatively 'shoot' their body down so that their heads about sternum/stomach level, from this position you can go for an armlock or just hit them in the head! This is also a good defence from an attempted choke as it removes their leverage and puts them at arms length from your throat.

In ground fighting don't 'struggle' as this will waste an incredible amount of energy.

I await Yoda and MMAfiter to pick up any innaccuracies ;)

Thanx

14. Bobzilla

Bobzilla New Member

Chances of you seeing this again are slim but ill post it anyway :)

The East Kilbride club was last seen running from the gym above the central post office in the town centre. They are looking to expand pretty soon and recently had Jake the Snake over for a techniques class i believe. Jake now lives in England and it lookslike he will be making more visits to the club.