What about CrossFit?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Nachi, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Nachi

Nachi Valued Member Supporter

I recently moved to a new flat and just from the window I can see an add for a CrossFit gym just around the corner. I don't know much about this discipline, but it sounds like a good work-out! I googled the gym, but the high price sort of dismissed my interest. Just now though, I saw an add for this gym coupon with more than a 20 % discount for the beginners course of 4 classes. It is still very expensive, but I am sort of tempted, much more as the slots are running out. I don't think I will stick with it, it is more about my curiosity. :)

Do you have any experience with CrossFit? Is it worth trying or generally doesn't worth the high price? Or any opinion you can share?

EDIT: Hmm, though now I see it is less than 250 m from my place and the normal lessons aren't so pricey. Only well, not terribly, just "normally" pricey :)

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  2. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Got a link to the gym's website? Need to guage the quality of the coaches. The principles behind CrossFit make for a great workout, but the brand is rife with ignorant people calling themselves fitness experts.

3. Nachi

I do, but it appears there is no English version... :/ How would you gauge their quality?

http://crossfitironland.cz/

They write each instructor has several rewards from crossfit disciplines.

4. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I checked out their Instagram to view their form during exercise. Generally speaking, from the few videos available (are they a new facility?), the coaches and students appeared to be demonstrating sound biomechanics in the movements. Certainly no glaring examples of crappy technique, so give it a try!

5. Nachi

Oh, that sounds great, thanks!
    Yes, they seem to be fairly new :)

6. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Enjoy! Come back and post after you've done your first Fran :D

7. Nachi

I will! Yep, I shall go buy the voucher now, there are only 2 slots left...

Last edited: Jan 13, 2017
  8. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

What VZ said, they seem to know their stuff!

CF is pretty fun, and the general nature of the training may remind you a bit of hojo-undo, so I'm betting you're going to enjoy it :D (plus, it's a gateway to barbell sports, and barbell sports are awesome :D)

9. Nachi

Sounds good! Something in between hojo undo and barbell stuff is something I might ejoy indeed. I will see :)
    Thanks!

Though I am afraid how bad I'd feel after I find out I can't keep up :D But that's a part of it, too, I suppose :)

10. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

My Czech isn't what it used to be (it never was!), but I'm sure (ish) that gym's website has a page where it talks about "on ramping"; which is CrossFit speech for a progressive induction to the demands of the sport for beginners. All you need keep in mind is that you're only ever competing against yourself. Unless you go to the CrossFit Games. Then you kinda have to beat other people.

11. Nachi

Don't worry, I am not naive enough to think anyone here speaks Czech. It kinda isn't the language of choice for like 99,9 % people :D
    Oh, I didn't know "on ramping" had a special meaning like this. The course that was offered and I bought is indeed called precisely "On Ramp". It is said it's specifically for beginners and it's also a mandatory course if someone wants to start visiting the gym. Which is quite nice, I think. That I won't be thrown right into something I have no idea how to do :) Although I do hope it won't be just all talk and I'll be able to try something, too.
    The course is four hour-long trainings of "on ramp" and then 10 days where I can frelly visit a regular crossfit class. If I remember correctly :D

12. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

Yeah, sounds par for the course with legit CrossFit gyms (although you should probably get used to the lingo and start calling it a "box"). The most important thing I would say at this stage (apart from "Listen to your coaches!") is forget numbers for now and focus on nailing correct squat and deadlift form as these two movements have perhaps the greatest carryover to most other movements you will do. And while they may look simple, they require an amount of skill to execute correctly. Maybe get to as many classes as you can in those initial 10 days even if it's just to rehearse lifting an empty barbell out of the rack until you nail it.

13. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

"Then you kinda have to beat other people."

And that's where the Goju-Ryu will come in handy :p

14. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Marketing at work, boost the price, have regular 20% sales, and have limited amount of slots available.

Crossfit can be good, but it can also be v bad, shoulder injuries are common (kipping and lifting to failure above the shoulders with bad form do It) focus on good form and you should be good!

15. Nachi

That's great :)
    Yeah, sure, wait, what? Box? Weird name for a gym, but I'll try to look smart! :D I wonder if there's different slang in Czech, though lately, many English words make their way in the speech of especially young people and in fitness culture all the more :)

Thank you. I don't really care about the numbers as much as about learning how to do this stuff right :) ... and I'm not into competing with other people anyway :)

16. Nachi

Do you think I would still get the medal, then? :D

17. Nachi

That is true, of course. However, if I remember correctly, they indeed usually sell for the higher price. The only thing I can be sure is that whether it is advantageous for them or not, I kind of wanted to try and regardless what price they usually sell it for, I won't get it for a better one :) Though it is quite a lot still :D
    There were 60 slots originally, but I found out about it quite late, at a time when there were only 3. And on a website that offers good prices for a whole lot of things, so it's not like they could fake how many slots were taken. At least :)

Thank you for the warning. I would love to learn the good form. I hope I would at least learn the very basics and if it is without injuries, that would be great, too :)

18. Giovanni

Giovanni Well-Known Member Supporter

so can i ask. any particular reason to do crossfit as opposed to just plain old lifting weights?

19. Nachi

Hmm, not any reason in particular :D I actually don't know much about CrossFit, but I just thought I'd try. And I have no experience with lifting at all, so, since I just don't feel like going to a gym and just lifting by myself, I might actually learn it there? If as all of you say, lifting is a part of it... :Angel: Though I would be happy if it weren't just lifting but something more varied.

20. Nachi

... also I originally overlooked it (and forgot to write here then), but the four lessons I paid for are individual trainings - just me and instructor. Which sort of explains the price and although I sort of prefer group classes, this may be helpful and I should learn quite a bit from it, I suppose :)