Wet Shaving

Discussion in 'Off Topic Area' started by NaughtyKnight, Aug 12, 2007.

1. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

I am sick of the "new age" of shaving. It caters to the lazy, retarded men with no hand eye co-ordination. Sure, it stops you looking like a hobo, but it doesnt offer a close shave, not by a balls hair (pun not necessarily intended...). EVERY time I shave, it looks like I havent 2 hrs later. While the designer stubble is a damn sexy look, which i happen to pull off well, I want to have baby smooth skin from time to time. ITS IMPOSSIBLE with these crappy "new age" razors.

There is the double razor, tripple razor, quartet razor, and apparently, a 6 bladed razor is coming out. These apparently give more comfort, but from experience, they just shave less and less close.

The shaving gels smell reasonable, but dont extend the lengths of your hair, so you dont get a perfect shave. They have to be applied with fingers, which again, dont make the hairs stand up.

I've made a life changing decision. I HAVE to get the best quality shave I can. To do this, I have to go back into time.

Badgers brushes were the staple of gentlemen's shaving last centuary. Applying shaving cream with them causes the hairs of your beard to stand up on end. This means the blade slides along them, giving you the closest shave possible. It also exfoliates, so that nothing but hair gets inbetween the razor. I'm going to buy my first ever badgers brush, and I cant bloody wait. I'm going to go with the Vulfux brand if I can find it.

Double Edged blades give the ultimate shave. None of this angling nonsence to prevent irritation. Shaving with one will clear up any ingrown hairs you have, stop stubble rash and prevent your face from burning after shaving. I have only used one once in my life, while I did nick myself a few times, my beard was smooth as a baby's ass (not that i've felt a baby's ass!).

PROPER shaving creams! I remember the smell of my grandads shaving creams. They smell like absolute heaven. My current shaving gel smells like my deoderant. While its an okay smell, its a chemical smell. Good ol' english shaving creams smell like freshly cut flowers in the spring. Thats the only way I can describe it. I cant think of any better way to wake up. Plus, you'll get all sorts of compliments from the ladies when they come in for a closer sniff. ;)

This new shaving regement will start as soon as I can track down all the supplies. Hopefully my local shaving shack will have everything I need, otherwise I'll hit the net. The next step is building up the courage to use a cut throat razor...

Join the dark side. Shaving properly, and reap the rewards. Hell, wet shaving has like 50 forums dedicated to the perfect shave. As you can see, I have been doing my research.

2. Emil

Emil Valued Member

You need a girlfriend

:D

Em

3. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

Go really old school.

Find an old barbershop and have a cut throat shave and a hair cut.

4. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

I'm too lazy for all that, give me my vibrating Gillette fusion (I just checked) and 30 seconds - job done :cool:

think you can shave with it too ;)

5. Saz

Saz Nerd Admin

6. SteelyPhil

SteelyPhil Messiah of Lovelamb

I've got a nice lil expensive electric shaver. That cuts the hairs very close to the skin, but my family has a habit of having stubble about an hour or so after shaving anyway (dad, and great uncle, does make me laugh).

7. Brad Ellin

Brad Ellin Baba

I use the brush and shaving soap method. Right now, I use a Gillette triple blade. But as soon as Dan sends me my striaght razors, I'll be using them (hint hint)

8. SteelyPhil

Always wanted to use a straight razor, mum won't let me have one in her house thouhg lol.

9. Hiroji

Hiroji laugh often, love much

As a gorilla who has to shave every day i too find the current razors to be just a little annoying and shaving against the grain is a must.

The blades cost a fortune and they go blunt after 2-3 shaves.

10. SteelyPhil

Get an electric one mate, they don't go blunt for a long time and are pretty cheap if you don't go for the newest edition.

11. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

See you are all metrosexuals really :D

12. SteelyPhil

What do you use to shave then :p

13. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I go to the barbers obviously to have a cut throat shave :D

14. Hiroji

I used my bros one once, my stubble was too thick for it so it put me off them.

I think id have to get a really top range one if it was to give a really close shave.

Bugger it, beards are in! :D

15. SteelyPhil

Ahh, i had this problem, if it goes a bit longer than a couple of mm it just yanks it out your face. Hurts like ..... well something painful and non-swearing.
    I'm with you, i use the neatener to cut my stubble down then shave it out once i start getting annoyed with it.
    Need a hair cut next..... but i stilll have a bite mark on the back of my neck, don't fancy explaining it to a judgemental barber lol.

16. slipthejab

slipthejab Hark, a vagrant! Supporter

I've got to agree... this is pretty much like a mini holiday. :)

It's very hard to find these days. One of the few places I can get it here in Hong Kong is at the Mandarin Oriental. It's far from cheap. :(

In India it's dirt cheap and you get a head massage worked in and the Indian guys have it down to a fine science. It's something of a lost art in the western world unfortunately.

So I went the next step and started using a cutthroat at home. It takes some practice and common sense... but it's a superior way to shave. You will never get a close shave like this from any plastic or electric razor.

You can start looking around these sites for good info...

Here's the basics:
    http://www.menessentials.com/oxid.php/sid/x/shp/oxbaseshop/cl/info/tpl/straight_razors.tpl

Here's a good little Mother Earth News article:
    http://www.motherearthnews.com/DIY/1972-03-01/How-to-Use-a-Straight-Razor.aspx

Here's a great site for sourcing what you need:
    http://www.classicshaving.com/Home.html

and from the same site... here are some of the finest shaving blades made.. not cheap... but worth every fricken penny:

http://www.classicshaving.com/page/page/846013.htm

And below is an example of a classic Thiers-Issard with an Olivewood handle. Beautiful craftsmanship. It's the kind of item that you will pass on to your grandchildren.. errr.. not when they're still children of course. :p

Taken care of properly this quality of blade will last you a lifetime and with it you'll easily save money in the long run.

Attached Files:

17. slipthejab

Here goes the guys who know how to shave it just right. :D

Attached Files:

18. Hiroji

"Manly? Yes!"
    "Absolutely nothing is more masculine than a shave tool that can take your head clean off."

Lol! loving that! :D

Thanks for the info Jabber the slip!. ;)

19. slipthejab

hahaha... hadn't realized that he put it quite that way. :D
    Guess you could shave with a .44 magnum in that case as well. Manly...but dead.

20. Sever

Sever Valued Member

I got really sick of the rash and bad shaves I was getting from multiblade disposable thingy's and got myself one of these with cream rather than gel or foam. The razor's a bit expensive for the initial outlay, but the blades are £3 for ten so it works out a fair bit cheaper over a short period and I've not had shaving rash since I switched over. I still hate shaving, and spend most of the time looking like a slightly grungier Grizzly Adams, but when I finally do get around to it, the shave's peerless