West Island Karate

Discussion in 'Karate' started by slickoneuk, Dec 7, 2011.

1. slickoneuk

slickoneuk Member Supporter

Howdie all

I have just recently moved to Montreal and I am looking for a place to train

I am a kickboxer by trade but have spotted this place

Anybody have any info, good or bad on this place?

Cheers

Rob

2. Ives

Ives Mokuteki o motte hajimeru

3. slickoneuk

slickoneuk Member Supporter

Yea thats them

Looks ok on web, I will check them out in new year.

Not sure karate is for me but I will check it out

4. Ives

You probably get some extra things to train next to similar things that you already know from kickboxing. Roundhouses aren't really that different from eachother I reckon.
    Keep us updated!

5. 6footgeek

6footgeek Meow

the biggest difference is the sparring. no gloves and no shots to the head for most kyokushin comps. but some schools do sparring with kickboxing rules too i've heard. go check it out and let us know how it goes =)

6. lexmark

lexmark Valued Member

Well, if you dont' speak French, it's probably a good place to go. It's located in a mostly English area so more than likely, the instruction and everything will be English. I don't speak French and the place I go is French. Yes, the karate part is Japanese but that doesn't matter if you're being told why and when certain movements should be used in a language you dont' understand. However, there are enough bilingual people at my school that's it's not a huge problem. But if I had the option to go somewhere English, I would cerainly take it.

7. Ives

@slickoneuk
    Have you checked that karate school out already? Curious about your experience and your thoughts.

8. Dillon

Dillon Valued Member

West Island Karate is an excellent school. I trained there last year when I went up to Montreal to fight in the Dageki tournament in October. John sensei is a great guy, and a solid instructor. He and a handful of his students come down to train with us at http://www.greenmountaindojo.com/ for our gasshuku.

You also may want to check out Hugo Perez's dojo. http://www.karateperez.com/
    Hugo is another great guy, and a beast. I told a friend that fighting him was like getting hit by a car, until I realized that I have been hit by a car before, and it was more fun than fighting Hugo full-on would be.

Montreal has a very strong kyokushin community.