Well looky what I found....

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by Banpen Fugyo, Dec 14, 2011.

1. Banpen Fugyo

Banpen Fugyo 10000 Changes No Surprise

So I was in my parents garage looking for some dumbbells I thought I left in there, and I found some old Wing Chun wooden dummy arms from literally 10 years ago.

My friend and I started making our own dummy with a telephone pole back in high school but eventually gave up when we realized we were either too stupid or too impatient.

Well I figured 10 years was enough procrastination, and even though i dont practice Wing Chun much anymore I decided to start building. I called Lowes, Home Depot, local plumbing stores and the only 8-9 inch in diameter PVC pipe was sold in 20 foot segments for $300 :bang: No thanks.

I just happened to drive past a construction site that had some scrap laying around and I found this monster. This took me about 3 hours to make. The measurements and drilling were def a pain in the ass, but it wasnt too bad. Its about 4 feet long, and if you check out the bottom, it connects to another piece that I salvaged as well. I plan on putting that bottom piece into a bucket of cement and VOILA! Portable freestanding Mook Jong.

I'll update this when I make the leg, paint it, etc if anyone is interested.

Laters

Attached Files:

2. Dan Bian

Dan Bian Neither Dan, nor Brian

Looks good - enjoy it!

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

Cool! keep us posted on progress of the legs!

4. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

looks fun :D

5. Pkhamidar2com

Pkhamidar2com Panda Member

looks awesome. i love building my own stuff too :) its fun and exciting!

how old were you when you made those arms?

Telephone poles? You mean these things?

[​IMG]

thats pretty big

6. Banpen Fugyo

I actually bought those arms when I was 16 or 17...

And yeah, telephone pole... except it was cut to 5 feet in length :p

7. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

That's pretty cool. You could actually stick the jong into the bucket, and then pour the concrete down the pvc. BAM! Heavy jong. You could put a smaller piece of PVC down the middle to create a hollow section so it's not so heavy and then you'd have a place to store the arms!

8. Banpen Fugyo

I actually have a couple questions about this:

Has anyone used a freestanding dummy before? The framed ones have such a great bounce back and sturdiness which Im afraid mine wont match.

Also, Im thinking that the PVC might damage the arms because of the small contact points. Anyone have experience with this?

Thanks

9. Sketco

Sketco Banned Banned

The freestanding ones will never match the framed ones. They just don't have the same base of support. But if you fill the bucket with concrete it shouldn't be as big a problem as you'll have a very heavy base. I would still try to find some way to fill the pvc a little so that there isn't any give when you hit the pvc.

As for the pvc damaging the arms it is contingent upon two things:
    The wood
    your care in building the jong

If the wood is a dense wood like mook jong are traditionally made from you shouldn't have a problem as long as you filed/sanded any sharp points on the edges of the pvc. Oh sure in 20 or 30 years you might have some wear and tear but that's to be expected. If you're really concerned find some scrap sheet metal and make collars for the arms. It should take a few small strips and some finishing nails.