Welcome to the KUK SOOL OLYMPICS

Discussion in 'Kuk Sool' started by Hyeongsa, May 11, 2010.

1. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

it was probably the 'amazingly gifted' and the 'sour grapes' portions of the post
    that brought about the comment. those two phrases made me laugh though, because i am sure that there are a few masters that left that had more talent than anybody still in kuk sool won(age adjusted of course) and they are still doing just fine.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  2. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

...but a master is only as good as their legacy in my opinion

3. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Off course there are people still in Kuk Sool Won who have more talent that any who have left as well, and Kuk Sool Won is doing just fine. It's all relative. :)

4. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

...like who?
    although kuk sool won students can be seen at tournaments outside kuk sool won(when i was on the circuit in northern california from 1999-2002 i never saw one win), i think the fact that kuk sool won has made their tournaments closed to outside schools makes it difficult to determine who has the most physical talent. however, at the talent of proliferation kuk sool won is doing quite well compared to splinter groups.

5. KJMS

KJMS Valued Member

Base on what Obewan? "He said?she said"?? theory? I highly doubt that the WKSA would sit ANYONE down to share TRUE details of what had happened to anyone! the only person that will ever know is IHS and Master Soon Tae Yang period.What I do know is that a lot of members have drop out of the WKSA.It's straight up facts! I do realized that this post has a few years behind it.Time had proven the facts,not hear say.

6. KJMS

KJMS Valued Member

Would you kindly name a few? are these individual talent judge my who's standards? you?

7. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Is it not true that Master Yang left WKSA long before the franchise? That's all I was referring to. I do not know the details of why, and it's none of my business. Yes a lot of people have dropped out, but that can be said of every organization you can't please everyone, surely you know that.

8. Obewan

Obewan "Hillbilly Jedi"

Who? Even though this would be entertaining to bring this old argument back to the surface. I don't think it's for me or you (RL included) to compare great MAist of Kuk Sool...Won or not. It's above our pay grade. ;)

FWIW the results of a tournament is not an accurate assessment of skill in MA IMHO.

Did KSW lose some great talent?...yup, is there still great talent in KSW?...yup, that's a fair statement. To say that only the best Masters left KSW is not fair or accurate.

The thing is that these Masters in or out of KSW were made by KSW. Sure they could have been great at anything they did, however the fact that they were promoted so well by Kuk Sa Nim, and that at least within Kuk Sool, they were made famous. Most anywhere else they would just be another practitioner, either really good or average.

As the organization grows it seems that the focus on a handful of Masters has fallen to the wayside a bit. I do see many hopefuls coming through the ranks and I think as things progress even more highly skilled Master will be developed. There is much more focus on correct practice across the board and developing everyone instead of a chosen few.

I wish everyone good luck in what ever direction they go. I'm not going to judge anyone, especially those who I respect so highly, they worked hard to get where they are and I know what it takes to get to that level of proficiency.

9. VegasMichelle

VegasMichelle Valued Member

I never claimed to speak for Master Yang...are you claiming that you do? Or are you just instigating? FYI, the franchising happened not too long ago and yes, I was in the WKSA during that time. Were you?

So when anyone says something you don't agree with, it's heresay. But when you say something, it's "straight up facts!" LOL. Nope.

I think this is yet another attempt at baiting. It is as if the opposition is never satisfied unless a proclamation is made that every Master who left is better than every Master who stayed. LOL.

Well, I think Master Jung Oh Lee was great and he was WKSA till his passing. I'd venture to say that he was greater than any and all Masters who left.

10. KJMS

KJMS Valued Member

Senior Master Jung Oh Lee is a great Human being first and foremost.YOU haven't the slightest clue who he is.

Allow me to share this with you....Masters who left and stayed,you'll be surprise how many of them speak to each other on a daily basis.

11. VegasMichelle

Yes, Master Jung Oh Lee was a great person. Unless you are his immediate family, who are YOU to say who has a clue and who doesn't? It's equally possible that you haven't the slightest clue who he was. What made him great was that he was aware and gracious. He got to know many people and when I come out and say that he was great....you are doing the man a disservice by trying to downplay his reach in terms of friendships he formed over his lifetime.

As for Masters who keep in contact...you seem to be ignorant of the fact that some remain friends and some broke contact.

12. KJMS

KJMS Valued Member

Down play? disservice? What the.....? don't do that,I won't play your BS Michelle.Back to the original reason why I called you out on YOUR comment.

You know that your in the M/A arena right? to open your mouth and drop names on any one..have you ever thought that person could be someones brother,instructor,Master? Again,YOU are in the M/A arena. YOU will get checked! Sit behind your computer and type away.........go back and read all of past post and look deep in the mirror. bait? I don't care or have the time to "bait" anyone,why? for what? F2F is the best policy. But,I'm willing to bet your key pad is a whole lot better shape than you are.

13. VegasMichelle

Too bad you are the epitome of what you type.

1) You absolutely do a great Master disservice by downplaying his reach. Take a look at post #162 by SsangKall...it's something that applies here. Don't try to diminish Master Jung Oh Lee's legacy by insinuating he was not able to give KS students any clue to who he was. His reach was great and many remember him.

2) I compete pretty frequently and following NAGA tournaments. If you feel that you are in shape and want to test skills, why don't you come out and show it? I've invited lots of folks before and KS folks seldom show. If you are in Texas, the next tournament in Texas is in Houston on 3/16...there's one in Dallas on 4/13. You can google it for a more complete schedule.

3) As for dropping names...LOL. YOU'RE the one asking for names!!! Here is your quote:

14. KJMS

KJMS Valued Member

LOL!! I would love to join.But, you do realized that I'm a MALE right? Vegas,I'm not a KS folks....Ahhhh.....NAGA,there's no need to hug and roll around on the floor? Again,I'm a MALE Vegas! I assume that you are a female?Please, clarify. M or F?

15. MACA

MACA Valued Member

I love curling, a totally fascinating sport.....

16. MACA

MACA Valued Member

For truths sake, it is also quite popular in Central America, the Caribbean, Venezuela, Colombia..probably some 20 or so countries.. most of them countries under the influence of the U.S. but i would say it has some 200 million fans.... It is of course minuscule compared to football (soccer for you Americans) or to cricket

17. MACA

MACA Valued Member

now, since I just saw this thread, and for some forsaken reason read through the whole thing......which includes some rather infantile discussions. I feel compelled to write something serious too.

KS as a martial sport makes very little sense to me, due to various reasons:

1.- requires eliminating the majority of techniques (joints locks, throws, low kicks, etc.)
    2.- the study of weapons would be superfluous since it would not help the sport
    3.- if we take the above two a true, then all we are left is with something rather similar to taekwondo and taekwondo is better at being teakwondo that Kuk sool is.
    4.- KS has never even tried to be a sport.....why do it know?

Or are we talking about a non violent type of competition? forms, jumping or I don't know what........ if so..then this makes even less sense. I really hope this venue of action has been abandoned.....

KS is a wonderful martial art and should just remain so...... a martial art.

18. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

fyi... rlksw lived at hq for a looong time. he has travelled with the old guard demoing an doing seminars. he has seen their forms, breaks, techniques, and also seen what they can't or couldn't do. he has seen them all fight and seen which ones couldn't fight.

it was easy for the korean masters that married in and/or didnt have schools to stay after 1986.

19. VegasMichelle

I'm a female competitor. So what? I watch the males compete too. We all look around and enjoy as many of the matches we can.

You insinuated that I was out-of-shape...and perhaps I am according to some standards and perhaps not according to others. What can be done is invite folks to see for themselves first-hand in a highly respected tournament. Sure, NAGA isn't an Olympic-level tournament and our conditioning falls short of Olympians. But what becomes very clear quite quickly is: who is out of shape and who can't fight. I suspect you would fair FAR worse than I...especially since you thinking of grappling and groundfighting as a "need to hug and roll around on the floor."

20. SsangKall

SsangKall Valued Member

and if wrestling is out of the olympics, kuk sul can be in!