weirdest injury I've ever had :/

Discussion in 'Injuries and Prevention' started by matveimediaarts, Jun 18, 2013.

1. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

So, I was doing bench pulls (basically a type of lat pull; knee of the bench with back parallel to the floor-lift the weight on the side not supporting the body) this morning. I hear this loud *pop* in the lifting shoulder (left) and had a shot of pain in the bicep. :eek: It was more shocking than really painful. I was able to finish out the workout perfectly well. (20 minutes total)

The shoulder and bicep are still a little sore, but I can function normally. Should be 100% normal by morning. Anyone know WTH happened and how I can avoid it in the future? I suspect it's because I didn't warm up sufficiently, but not sure. I didn't do anything dramatically different than the sort of thing I'm used to. Just ~15 lbs or so heavier.

(I'm double jointed and my shoulder pops out when sparring easily if I don't warm it up really well, if that's a useful detail for you.)
    Grazi!

Regards,
    Matvei.

2. Ero-Sennin

Ero-Sennin Well-Known Member Supporter

Um, I think you're describing what's generally called a 'single arm row'? If you can still move around fine and it doesn't bother you tomorrow (or bother you much) then I wouldn't worry about it. If it does bother you a bit just lay off of it for a little while or use lighter weights for a bit. I've had a couple weird stuff like you described in weight lifting routines and nothing ever came of it. Unless movement is sacrificed the next day (or same day) by pain and discomfort it's usually not something to stress out about.

Attached Files:

3. matveimediaarts

matveimediaarts Underappreciated genius

Yes, that's the exercise. I've seen it called by several different names, so I just picked one. :)

I'm not too worried about it. I was just kind of freaked out because it's never happened while doing that particular exercise-even when using much heavier weights. (It was 30 or 35 lbs today, IIRC)
    I have tomorrow off, so I'll just stick to my karate, weapons, and other lighter stuff like that. Thanks for taking the time to reply. :)

~bows gratefully~