Weights advice for a woman...

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Su lin, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

That is one of the cruellest comments I've ever read! :eek:

But very funny! ;) :D

2. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Lilly, you know I love ya but I have to, politely, disagree with you! (no spankings please) Women can, and should, lift weights and they will get more muscle along the way. The only way any person, male or female, can truly change their physique is through the use of resistance exercise a.k.a. weight training. That is not to say that Martial Arts won't add muscle tone and size. It will. We do resistance exercises every time we do a horse-back stance and squat, or do a push up. Besides, I really like it when women are over in the free weight area of the gym. Brightens up us neanderthal types. :D

3. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I just want to get stronger to improve my kung fu, so that I can get a bit more power etc. I'll let you know Lily- good work on this thread!
    I agree with you about women and men not being exactly the same. My aim isn't to match the guys strength in my class , my aim is to improve strength in my upper body. I have quite strong legs already, but could do with making them stronger- will do this mainly by standing in ma bu for longer and longer periods! I practice in a morning doing my hair! :p (And makeup of course!)

4. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

What type of strength do you want?

5. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Strength to be able to hold my stances longer and lower , to get more power behind my strikes, to be able to spar for longer. Also in my arms for blocks etc, which are coming along with conditioning excercises.
    My strength is increasing from doing the resistance excercises in class, but want to be generally stronger (if that makes sense?)

6. NaughtyKnight

Well then you want different types of strength.

To hold your stances longer is Endurance Strength. To hold them lower is more flexiblity.

To spar for longer is endurance, which needs aerobic and anerobic training.

To punch harder is Explosive Strength and Maximal Strength.

To help you block, maximal strength training will help.

7. Colucci

Colucci My buddies call me Chris.

Geez, 4 pages of yapping back and forth, and nobody's showed these girls the Girl Power...Fighting The She-Hulk Myth thread? Some resource, I'm glad it's there. ;) Lily, Su lin, give that thread a read. It has links to some of the sites that have been mentioned, as well as others that can be very helpful.

Point #1 - To the guys on this thread, I don't know what the deal is on other threads, but if you keep acting like knuckleheads, it will not go any further. You're definitely not helping the case by name-calling.

Point #2 - To the ladies on this thread...
    No, there really isn't. Truth be told, an untrained, average woman will have greater lower body strength than an untrained, average man (and vice versa for upper body strength), the muscles of the Human body, regardless of gender, will respond in generally the same way to a given stimulus.

If you read around T-Nation.com or F-heit.com, the ladies who saw the fastest and most satisfying results were the ones who defied tradition, got over any hang-ups, and lifted heavy weights. Case in point...this is T-Nation member AG1. She recently competed in a figure competition, and she's been using Chad Waterbury programs (a coach who favors using heavy weight for sets of 3, usually):
    [​IMG]

So, she trains like "most men would", and I think it's fair to say that she doesn't look manly. Agreed? There are so many women on those 2 sites that are training the same way, it's scary at first, sure, because it's something new and it's not what you're used to. But overcoming presuppositions like that can lead to truly surprising results. Wasn't it a little bit scary walking into the dojo the first time? Doing these punches and kicks? I mean, punching is such an aggressive and manly thing, a lady shouldn't be doing it...should she? :)

It's not that you're not as fit or capable, it's just that a good strength training program can take you to the next level of performance. If you can handle guys 70-120 pounds heavier than you (which is awesome, by the way), once you start weight training, you can either handle them even easier, or handle guys that are maybe 150 pounds heavier. (That'd really be something, huh?)

This is exactly a point that a lot of martial artists (guys and gals) fail to grasp. Would you rather hold your stance for 15 minutes, or do 4 sets of 3 squats? One will get you vbery good at holding a stance, the other will make your entire body stronger, which will carryover into stronger kicks, higher jumps, faster running, so many benefits. You may want to read 2 Reasons To Lift Weights, it might explain this difference a bit better, or it might not, in which case I'm just a dope. :rolleyes:

8. KickChick

KickChick Valued Member

Well, it's about time you showed up! :)

Oh ... and you're no dope ;)

That "nobody" is usually me y'know ;)

btw.... this site made me what I am today ! (... I ain't posting up a pic of me in a 2 piece, but I can assure you I'm not manly either ;) )

9. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Good advice BeWater, thanks for that! Yes it is all a bit new, and yes it was scary walking into my club for the first time! Weight training is just something I dont know that much about, but am trying to learn- have always done things such as cycling/running so more aerobic really.

Checked out that site Kickchick- lots of very interesting info on it! I'm not really worried about getting too muscley really, some would be nice though! I am cultivating odd muscles in my forearms from a form we practice, which is cool- I think thats my favourite muscle so far! :p

Last edited: Sep 8, 2006
  10. Skrom

Skrom Banned Banned

just in case anyone else is planning on more lily-bashing, she already admitted she was wrong last night in chat :p

11. narcsarge

Colucci, aka BeWater, I certainly hope I was not lumped into the "name calling" category. :confused: I think you supported, in more detail, what I was trying to say. I would never try "bashing" someones idea on lifting weights. You make a great point about women "pioneers" when it comes to weight lifting. Take a look at Rachel Mclish: one of the best physiques to ever grace women's bodybuilding.
    [​IMG]

Definitly not manly!

12. NaughtyKnight

Attached Files:

13. narcsarge

Enought said NaughtyKnight! Tag! Your turn! :cool:

14. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Me thinks this is turning into an excuse to post women in bikinis! :p Seriously though, some good advice here . Ta!

15. narcsarge

Sorry Su Lin, not meaning to jack this thread. As has been stated. Working out with weights will definitly provide you with more power. Endurance training, alluded to by NK will help with stamina. None of this will make you any less feminin. :)

16. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

No worries- has given me something to work towards actually! Feeling inspired today to give it some - got a class first then may do some bag work/weights when I get home!
    Bikini/martial arts babes here I come!

17. narcsarge

That's the spirit! Go girl! :love:

18. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Yep! Going to kick some serious ass today :p :p

19. NaughtyKnight

Since we helped you out, dont be shy to repay the favour with a post in the ma babes thread ;).

20. Lily

Lily Valued Member

Woah, everyone bashed me :cry: Actually, it felt kinda good. ;) (who is the punisher?). Thanks for the support and advice Colucci :cool:

Anyway, Skrom straightened me out two days ago in private. It was kinda fun though to argue an opposing and stupid view with people who know what they're talking about (unlike the Men Strike Back thread). :p

NK - I don't have PINK dumbbells. They are purple. How many times do I have to repeat myself?! And thanks for partially agreeing with me.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2006