Weights advice for a woman...

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Su lin, Sep 4, 2006.

1. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I have just got some weights :6x 1.1kg
    2x 2.2 and 2 x4.5 kg. 2xhand weight bars and one of the long bars.
    I'm not a member of a gym, I train about 5 times a week and am trying to get out running again. I need to improve my upper body strength, have quite strong legs.
    Just need some advice on the best excercises really with the weights, is there any good info on the net ? I know Im being a cheap skate, but spend enough money on training etc!
    Or good info that I have missed here on good old MAP?
    Don't want to end up with big muscles /as a she-man!
    I also have a reasonably heavy punch bag which Im trying to use more often to work on my punching power.
    Thanks

2. Skrom

Skrom Banned Banned

you won't. do what the men do. since you're new to weight training, you would be better off joining a gym. the weights you have are too light.

3. Mixitup

Mixitup Banned Banned

Carrying the shopping home should be all the weight-lifting you need :D

4. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

You bad, bad man.
    :woo: :woo: :woo:

5. Beowolf

Beowolf Valued Member

Agreed.

Go to T-nation.com, and click on the T-vixens forum. They'll certainly give you the best advice.

Farenheit.com is also a great site for women looking to lift.

T-vixen Article thread

That ^^^ is a good link page. It's got everything you need to read to get started.

In essence, the nutrition and weightlifting advice for women is almost identical to men.

Only difference I can think of is that women tenc to use much to little weight, while men tend to use too much and rely to heavily on spotters or crappy "cheating" form.

Edit: Forgot to say, Good Luck!

6. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Thanks for the advice (apart from Mixitup!) will have a look at that forum!

7. Reakt

Reakt Valued Member

He has got a point though. My 42 year old mother has been walking home with weekly shopping for probably 15-20 years now and shes scarily strong :eek:

8. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I drive to the supermarket! Too busy training! :p :p Maybe I'll let him off then. :rolleyes:

9. Gary

Gary Vs The Irresistible Farce Supporter

It's really not that easy to get big, as long as you don't train for size you'll be fine, especially with the added cardio you're planning. I think this is a better version that the t-vixens bit, same people and similar articles but an entire forum instead of a section at t-nation.

10. TheMachine

TheMachine Valued Member

Definitely join a gym. Get instruction on the proper execution of exercises and then report back to us after :)

11. Crimson_Stone

Crimson_Stone Stay Puft

Another Tragic example of women lifting heavy and getting all Man'd Up.
    [​IMG]

The weights you have aren't much, but if you can't (or have no interest in) join a gym then you can focus on body weight exercises. BodyWeightCulture.com has some good pics of exercises and some nice routines (though I detest their set x rep schemes).

Your boxing bag can serve as your weight for training as well. I particularly like using my bag for Clean & Presses. Throw that bag over your shoulder and take it for a run. If you feel you need more challenge then read some of the books by Ross Enamait at RossBoxing.com.

[​IMG]

12. AuntiePink

AuntiePink Naughty Member

13. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Thanks AP , will have a look shortly (when my lunch break officially begins!)

14. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

Women should be weight training the exact same way as men, we are all built the same.

15. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

Sounds good to me. I do the same training as the men in kung fu, so why not weights! Although I have had a back injury so will need to keep that in mind.
    Will I look like her ^^ eventually??? :p

16. NaughtyKnight

NaughtyKnight Has yellow fever!

No reason why not.

17. narcsarge

narcsarge Masticated Whey

Su Lin, I must agree with NaughtyKnight and the others that have said "train the way men do. In order for you to become "manly" in your physique you have to have an over abundance of testosterone. Above the normal levels women have! I cringe every time I hear that women are scared of becoming "like men" if they even touch a weight. Forget about it and pick up some weights! I agree that the weights you have listed above a too light to add serious size but hey, something is better then nothing! If you want to build a home gym, buy a bench that can be inclined and get a good barbell. A 45lb (22.5Kg ?) should be fine.

18. exclamationmark

exclamationmark Toaster-core

I have been searching on the forum for advice for ladies wishing to improve their strength... and to be honest, I can't really afford the gym, but I am willing to make a purchase on something to have at home. I was concidering getting 4 x 1.1kg, 8 x 2.3kg, 2 x 4.5kg or 4 x 1.1kg, 8 x 2.3kg. Is this too light? and what would anyone reccomend instead?

I've looked at the various sites posted but it's all a bit confusing this weights stuff!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2006
  19. Johnno

Johnno Valued Member

So how do female bodybuilders get so beefy? Is that due to taking steroids? :confused:

20. Su lin

Su lin Gone away

I know the feeling about gyms and expense! I train upto 5 times a week, so could only get to the gym maybe once a week, which doesnt really justify spending so much per month. I'm interested in resistance training ,so may purchase one of those big ball things and maybe a chin up bar too.