Weight Training

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Andy Murray, Mar 2, 2002.

1. Silver_no2

Silver_no2 Avenging Angel

I was reading an article in a rugby magazine in which was mentioned a weightlifting system devised by a guy called Bobby Preston. The results were quite impressive - one of the rugby players who used it went from being able to squat 90kg to 190kg in twelve weeks, while at the same time getting faster and more powerful. Has anyone heard of him or anyone/anything similar?

2. khafra

khafra New Member

Whups, missed the question way back when. It's probably too late now, but a ketogenic diet is one that promotes burning of ketones for energy instead of carbohydrates. Ketones come directly from fat, so instead of converting skeletal muscle through glyconeogenesis for energy, your body burns almost all fat. The only known drawbacks are feeling really nasty for a week or so while your body adjusts, bad breath, and being scared. Being scared comes because the diet consists of about 75% fat and 25% protein, no carbs. You basically have to eat meat and eggs, but get a book on it if you're going to do it, "The Ketogenic Diet" is a serviceable one.
    The 30-45 minutes of mild aerobic activity first thing in the morning raises your level of growth hormone for the whole day, which promotes lean muscle retention and fat burning, and the L-glutamine is an amino acid commonly taken from skeletal muscle by the body's organs, so having a few grams in your stomach will reduce the amount of lean muscle that gets burned during your aerobic activity. The BCAAs (Branched-chain amino acids) are just a more complete set of amino acids likely to be needed.
    10-12 reps per set is just what I've heard is best for cutting, while 6-8 reps is best for building muscle.

3. OverDose

OverDose New Member

i have big legs compared to the rest of my body, i find it to be good for grappling/wrestling but my kicks lack explosiveness

4. Freeform

Freeform Fully operational War-Pig Supporter

I too have thunderous thighs, remember you also need explosive power for grappling. I would suggest just simply practicing more!

Thanx

5. Silver_no2

Silver_no2 Avenging Angel

I can testify to the size and strength of FreeForm's thighs. They are so muscley and firm and.....sorry, got a little carried away there :D

6. Acekicken

Acekicken Submission Fighter

Weight training is Verry good

I use weight training To Suplement
    my training.

i do both Light & Heavy
    i don't getcrazy with the weight.
    i am looking for functional strenth.

i do Curls, Squats, Bench(Flat 7 raised)

I use a straight Bar 7 a Curl Bar
    I use Dumb bell & A Spring flexer.
    When im at home

In the Gym i Use Machines
    For differnt Excersise's

:woo:

7. rossboxing

rossboxing New Member

Weights + Plyo's = Complex Training

You should consider implementing a Complex Training program if you wish to maximze speed and power. Plyometrics consist of a variety of exercises that enhance starting speed, acceleration, and of course power. These exercises consist of bounding, jumping, and hopping drills. By strengthening the nervous system, plyometrics teach the body to react quickly and explosively. These drills will greatly improve overall performance.

Once you develop a foundation level of strength, you can add a complex training program to your routine. Complex training typically consists of one strength exercise followed by a plyometrics movement. For example, you will perform squats with weight for 10 repetitions. Immediately after completing this exercise, you will perform 15 squat jumps without weight. Another example would be to perform 10 repetitions of shoulder press with dumbbells, then immediately perform 15 overhead medicine ball throws.

If you want to maximize speed and power, complex training is the way to go.

Check out this link for info on a boxing specific training program designed to maximize speed, power, strength, and stamina...

http://www.rossboxing.com/sales.html

8. pgm316

pgm316 lifting metal

I think the secret is finding something thats easy to fit into our busy lives. I struggle to find time to fit a good weight training regime in on top of MA's and other bits and pieces.

I've got my own weights (not much) but enough for a quick 10min work out each morning. Surprising what you can do in just 10 mins! It feels better than the 2 1 hour sessions I used to do at the Gym, it doesn't make me stiff or sore like a big session would.

I use medium weights I think, what do people class as light/medium/heavy? Usually 15-20 reps on several excercises. Although I've got friends that couldn't do the one rep......

I don't think we realise how strong we get do years of MA's & weights etc!