Weight training exercised for judo

Discussion in 'Judo' started by Frey86, Feb 22, 2014.

1. Frey86

Frey86 New Member

Can anyone recommend or share any weight training exercises/ routines to help my judo. Have just joined a gym and need some plans

2. YouKnowWho

YouKnowWho Valued Member

When you said, "weight training exercise", are you talking about "modern gym equipment"? The following are "modern gym equipment" that can help your art. For non-modern gym equipment, there are many.

This one can help your "pulling".

[​IMG]

This one can help your "arms twisting" if you hold 2 handles with your hands (one hand push, one hand pull).

[​IMG]

This one can help you "leg spring/lift/block".

[​IMG]

This one can help you "leg lift/block".

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  3. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

starting strength, stronglifts or reg park's 5x5 is always the recommended

4. pseudo

pseudo Padawan

This is something I was looking into and still am. The reason why this system is appealing to me is because of how the weight can get distributed and you can train your grip at the same time, sandbag or sparrowbag work outs... very awesome.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RyIZKTg6_s0&feature=youtube_gdata_player"]Sparrowbag sandbag training - Advanced - by Jakub Gilbert Tibor - YouTube[/ame]

The other thing I would do is train with object that do have no natural gripping area , for this im a big advocate of strongman or old time training. Things like barrel lifts, barrel carry, atlas stone carry, Farmers walk with olympic plate. I would also do lifts with items with uneven weight distribution, stone lift. This can be dangerous, do this only if you are experienced or with someone that can keep an eye on your form, and help you if you jam up.

Also lots of core and leg exercises, squats, good mornings, hypertension.... you get my drift.

5. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Squat, press, row and deadlift.

Doesn't matter if you use barbells, dumbbells or kettle bells.

Of and GI pull ups are awesome for judo.

6. Gripfighter

Gripfighter Sub Seeker

I recommend never gym less by ross eminent, body weight training, no equipment required and heavily geared towards combat sports

7. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

8. Kurtka Jerker

Kurtka Jerker Valued Member

Core and legs all day. You can also use resistance bands or weighted pulleys (even a rope with a weight on one end draped over a door or rail) of different heights to drill some throws. Using a slam bag to drill pickups works too.
    Turkish get ups, Russian/mason twists, wrestlers bridges and Russian bridges, squats, Bulgarian split squats, sprints, box jumps are all good.

Explosiveness is the big thing as groundwork is limited, and all your power will be coming from the core and legs.