Weight gain powder -v- Protein supplements

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Moi, May 2, 2011.

1. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

What's the difference? I have the normal H&B Whey powder that I take 3x a day on lifting days, once in the morning then before and after my workout.
    Now would it be worth me adding a weight gainer to pile on the weight as I'm really not going to increase that much by eating alone just yet.
    Are the two products that different?

2. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

Is there a reason why you cannot increase calorie intake with food? I remember i found it difficult at first to eat the extra thousand or so calories I needed to gain, I was eating one meal whilst stil feeling full from the last, but after a week or so I found it very easy to eat 3 800 calorie meals and an evening 'snack' of around 650 calries plus protein shakes before and after training.

3. slickoneuk

slickoneuk Member Supporter

Weightgain normally has a lot mmore carbs!

4. Moi

I think it's because I smoke. I don't tend to get that hungry but TBH if I can get what I need from a shake I'll do it, lazy I guess. I've tried but I just end up leaving so much and throwing it away. Never been a big eater

5. slickoneuk

Smoking def supresses the appetite, try to eat more nuts and olive oil or udos oiletc, they are very colorie dense.

6. Moi

Olive oil I have lots of, same with salted peanuts (I know) and quite a few walnuts a week. Most of my diet consists of steak, ham, chicken and fish with salad. I take an omega 3 capsule daily as well

7. slickoneuk

Man up and eat more! Ta daaA!

8. Moi

Not going to happen just yet, rather just glug a shake. I'm always going to lose weight when I'm working so I need an easy way to gain when I'm not.

9. SpikeD

SpikeD At the Frankenstein Place

What i found easiest is red meat, so a nice thick pork chop or 200g of diced beef in a stir fry, puts a good 400 to 600 calories in a meal on its own (dependant upon the cut). I currently eat a couple of portions a day minimum, occasionaly have one for supper too (or scratchings if i have a beer). Another easy eat is a 4 egg cheese omelette on a couple of slices of buttered bread/toast (One of my anti-paleo weaknesses) for just under 800 calories and easy to digest.
    I know the shakes are an easy way through but i believe (my opinion that is) that real food will always be better than liquidised bits of food that comes in a tub when it comes to actual nutritional value at the very least.

10. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

Sorry to Rez up an old(ish) thread but I've a few notes I'd like to chime in.

The obvious thing to say moi is to quit smoking but that doesn't really answer your question and I'm sure you've heard it a thousand times before so I'll leave it there.

Most weight gainers are a pile of poop, they have (literally in some cases) swept up of the floor poor quality whey and soy protiens in, a whole bunch of sugar (they'll claim these are carbs for gaining but I'm sure you are aware 40g + of sugar is not great) and many other nasties.

When i was trying to gain I used to chug 1-2 scoops of whey with 2 scoops of slim fast and a shot of olive oil (yeah a shot glass) then I did a little research about what was in the slim fast and decided I'd rather not.

If you're willing to pay then there are some good products out there. I can personally recommend: AST labs muscle XGF that although labeled as a gainer is more fo a protien blend containing whey concentrate, isolate and casein protiens and hitting almost 700 calories when made with milk the it certainly hits the spot, throw in some oats or waxy maze starch or oats and some oil you're easily well over a thousand calls.

The catch? Oh yeah its 30-35 quid for 16 scoops!

Honestly I would just get creative with the blender, I've some great recipes for shakes from low carb 200calorie to 1200 calories of gloop. As a rule if it contains fruit, oil, protien powder and milk you're on the right track.

Finally don't forget natures own gainer: milk.

Used by lifters of the past for years dairy has recently came into a bad light, I personally have yet to be convinced and have drank at least 4 pints a day for the last 2-3 years without dropping dead.
    Go full fat, or better yet jersey gold. If you have acces to it raw milk is insanely anabolic but go easy at first your body will take a little while to adapt. A pint of milk adds 15-20g of protien to your diet and a decent dolop of calories, adding a pint to each meal and a pint between adds 120g of protien a day, not to shabby.

My favourite way to drink milk is to add 100-200ml of double cream per pint for another nifty 150cals

11. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

I agree with on the bit about smoking and the milk. I find it ironic that people who take the time to eat right and exercise still smoke cancer sticks. And milk is awesome! I drink it with nearly everything. Milk + pizza=EPIC

12. Moi

I've already decided to give up smoking for probably the first time in my life I really want to. Bear in mind this fitness is relatively new for me whereas I've smoked since before I was a teenager :evil:
    Milk I drink alot of but there's always room for more :)

Cheers guys x

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  13. benkei

benkei Valued Member

Well put. Mass gainers are terrible

14. seiken steve

That is a big and tough step moi. Well done!

Hope you succeed, I had 3 years of smoking before this fitness lark and quitting was the best thing I could do.

15. Dorian15

Dorian15 New Member

I hate weight gain powder and all supplements because these things makes your body artificial but if you eat healthy foods like mutton, fishes, chicken, fresh fruits and white eggs and do any exercise then you could increase your weight quickly.

16. seiken steve

If you want to fit in please don't make things up or spout your own opinion without something to back it up especially when it is something unquantifiable and silly.

What is an artificial body? I take around 12 fish oil caps, 2000mg of vit C, a B vit complex, 12-15 BCAAs, 5g of creatine, 20ish grams of gluitamine and 4-5 scoops of whey isolate and 2 ZMA on training days. Now by your measure i should have turned into a mannequin by now.