Weight Benches - suggestions?

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Dead_pool, Apr 27, 2014.

1. Dead_pool

Dead_pool Spes mea in nihil Deus MAP 2017 Moi Award

Has anyone got any recommendations for weight benches for home use?
    considerations
    1) Strong (obviously)
    2) Adjustable
    3) Bench footprint no larger then needed - home use
    4) its being used on wooden floorboards so rubber coated feet would be ideal.

i've got my eye on some mid range Adidas adjustable ones that are on sale online. But i'm open to suggestions!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  2. Mangosteen

Mangosteen Hold strong not

You got squat stands already?
    As in do you need a bench or the stands too?

3. Dead_pool

Once we move ill be getting a powercage. But till then its to help with bodyweight and lightish barbell / dumbell work.

4. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

Buy a few thick carpet tiles :)
    eBay & buyer collects is your friend here with both
    If it's just a bench I wish mine had the bars and pullies to pull down
    If it's your only home lifting apparatus then make it as useful as possible for its floor space

Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  5. afhuss

afhuss Valued Member

Yeah, there's special-made stuff for that. Often raised up about an inch or so, to absorb shock, with rubber padding and heavy carpet.

I was going to recommend getting a power cage as well, and doing everything in there...looks like your head is already there though, lol.

Since you are getting that power cage, and you can bench out of that, I would maybe get something cheap...like literally just a flat bench, then maybe some weight stands you can lift off from...to tide you over until you move.

6. Saved_in_Blood

Saved_in_Blood Valued Member

Years ago I had bought a bowflex weight bench, but it had the safety hooks and such for lifting alone. I think they have stopped making them, but they really do make a quality product from the things of theirs that I've owned.

7. afhuss

afhuss Valued Member

Craigslist or eBay?

8. GrappleorWrestle

GrappleorWrestle Valued Member

If you cannot find one in locally posted classifieds I would take a look at the Ironmaster Super Bench. The only issue I have found with it is that it may be a little tall for shorter folks.

The Super Bench is very modular and they have an attachment for almost anything you would need in a home gym. If you need me to measure or take pics I would be more than happy to do so.

9. Dead_pool

Thanks for the offer bro! Not needed though as ive sorted out a discounted one from strengthshop, 100 quid including postage for a 170 quid 200kg rated bench, Ill review it once its here!

https://www.strengthshop.co.uk/clearance-sale/utility-bench-seconds.html

Last edited: May 1, 2014
  10. southernKarate

southernKarate New Member

powertec do some pretty solid benches , i have several of there products and there pretty good

11. Dead_pool

So the bench came, bits were missing, a few emails later Strength shop sent them out.

The bench itself is banged up, a different (cosmetic really) model to what was advertised and really badly welded, the seat isnt even flat because of the terrible welding.

Luckily a good friend of mine works In this field so im taking it to him and its my new weekend project,
    Plan is, fix the welding/straighten the seat, respray it, and look into rubber matting for where its kept.

As a side note im really quite disappointed that the blurb on the website didnt indicate how rickity the bench was.

Lesson learnt.

12. ambersports

ambersports Banned Banned

My friend bought weight benches at ambersports websites

13. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Hahaha...."My friend bought weight benches at ambersports websites "...you don't think your user name is a bit revealing about what a blatant attempt at marketing this is?

14. FunnyBadger

FunnyBadger I love food :)

Wow!

I'm convinced . . . Seems legit

15. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

If you're going to spam post and pimp your site then please make an effort to do it correctly. :bang:

How many websites do amber have? The way it stands it's more than one, which is very confusing for the online shopper.

If it's one site you perhaps should have written "amber's website", indicating a singular possession.

My advice, don't answer any of the above questions and if you're looking to stay around, then don't pimp your site.

16. Bigmikey

Bigmikey Internet Pacifist.

I've had some really good results with a company called New York Barbells. The shipping can be a bit pricey but the quality - especially for home use, is more than adequate.

Oddly, my first home bench was a Gold's Gym contraption from Sports Authority. It the job well for the money spent and while I no longer use the bench, I salvaged the uprights and use them as a squat/curl/barbell rack.

17. ambersports

ambersports Banned Banned

Never use a weight bench for step aerobics