Weight belts

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Smitfire, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

So...how do we feel about weight belts?
    Use one? Not use one?
    I'm back lifting again after injuring my back and I'm not sure if I should get one or not?
    Stronglifts recommend using one (and chalk) so you are lifting as heavy as you can.
    I wasn't using one, mainly because before the injury I wasn't lifting that heavy (AFAIK) and wanted any gains I made as "help" free as possible.
    I didn't want to use one as a crutch and then not be able to transfer that lifting potential out of the weight room.
    But will one offer some support to the lower back (where I'm dodgy) and help me lift safely again?
    If you do use one what lifts is it for and what lifts shouldn't be done with one?
    No point wearing it benching right? What about bent rows? Deadlifts? OH press?

2. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

My own view would be not to wear one and train light and sensible enough to strengthen the core/back/trunk (all core) before lifting heavy enough to require a belt.

3. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

Yeah...done some reading around and that seems the most reasonable advice.
    If you aren't lifting near your 1RM then you shouldn't be using one but instead be lifting correctly and creating proper stability and intra-abdominal pressure.

4. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Any idea where is a good place (online and in the EU) to pick one up?

I want to make a tyre pull.

5. Frodocious

Frodocious She who MUST be obeyed! Moderator Supporter

6. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

Good idea...but I am trying to make it on the cheap. I have all the equipment to make the straps/rope, just need the belt. I could make a harness too but I am lazy quite honestly. (actually i am just inept at that kind of stuff and would end up making it for 3 legs and 1 arm, with no place to put my body but still find myself wrapped around a high branch off a tree when I put it on).

7. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

As a fellow bad back sufferer, and much more experienced lifter, I give Frodo's advice a lot of credence. Cheers guys/gal.

8. icefield

icefield Valued Member

Depends on what your goals are if its to lift heavy they are useful, personally anything under 3reps I'll use one, and they can be very useful for even the bench :) but people use them in different ways some of which help your core to be tight, and other ways which replace your core strength

9. Jeffkins

Jeffkins Sleuth Diplomacy

You should think of a proprioceptive tool first and foremost. You have to be able to actually *use* the belt correctly, not just wear it. When using a belt, you should be pushing against all sides of it to effectively brace the core, and this is a muscle activation that you should be achieving when you're not using a belt. The belt just helps you achieve the activation and then gives you something solid to push against when you do get it (this resulting in an ability to lift heavier, usually).

So in terms of the belt becoming a crutch, you shouldn't be relying on one to get the core working during your lifts. So as long as you're getting *quality* training both with and without it can be a great tool that isn't going to necessarily hamper the training of your core. But you can also get along just fine without it, as I personally do.

10. Fish Of Doom

Fish Of Doom Will : Mind : Motion Supporter

belts are just a tactile cue to properly engage your abdomen. it's extremely useful to be able to do it without one (if you've ever done sanchin, you're supposed to do it during sanchin so you probably know how already), but a belt will always let you do it better. they don't make you weak or compromise your ability to strengthen your abs either, and given that you have a back injury, it might be a good idea to use one at light weights even if it would not otherwise be needed.

11. Fish Of Doom

relevant: [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dirIBu_5R-Y"]Lifting belt tutorial - YouTube[/ame]

12. Fish Of Doom

13. Nolan Froese

Nolan Froese Valued Member

If you want to go heavy (and you should) you will need a belt. A belt is going to help you get more out of the lift. Not the other way around.

http://www.bestbelts.net/

14. SoKKlab

SoKKlab The Cwtch of Death!

A lot of people use belts as a matter of course. Refrain from doing that.

Some folks use them to promote intra-abdominal pressure (you push your belly out against it). You should be able to do that without a belt - by holding your belly in and tight - opposite to what you do when belted. You create your own belt with your entire core.

If you are the proud owner of a bad back then you'll need to build your strength at your weakest juncture (usually your lower back and abysmals).

So you'll need to do plenty of 'support' exercises to aid your back squat - Glute ham raise if you can access one. Good mornings are useful when you're careful. Zerchers are phenomenal in this regard. Smooth deadlifting helps etc.

The time to use a belt, maybe, is when you're either doing a lift that is new to you...And you possess no idea as to the shearing forces you may encounter. Or when you're doing something really hefty, that's slightly beyond your current max.

In short ala frodo etc - Build your centre body power through good form. Refrain from doing idiotic things. Occasionally use a belt at your top sets IF you're unsure at that point as to whether you can make it.

Good Luck

15. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

The only thing I use belts on if yoke walk, if that starts to get whippy things get snapped. Lol.

16. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

I lift until I'm strong enough for my sport. I don't lift until I need to use a belt. By that point the weight I'm lifting would have exceeded its usefulness for my sport.

17. Late for dinner

Late for dinner Valued Member

2 ?

Ok the way I see it there aare really 2 things that you need to look at.

1) Do you still have an injury and have you made any effort to rehab before returning to your training program?

2) Use a belt if you are venturing into heavier weights but try to work your way up via accessory training if need be to not need to use the belt that often.. As was previously mentioned if you are lifting heavy then the belt can be sort of a safety feature.

Case in point:

I was back squatting 5 x 5 and everything seemed to be ok. First 4 sets of 160 kg were fine but on the fifth set , on the 5th rep my body just folded forward and the bar came over top of my head. Luckily I had spotting arms on the squat rack so I wasn't broken. I was surprised to say the least so I tried to figure out what went wrong. It was simple, I had put on my knee wraps but forgotten my belt. Since then I have gone back and worked really hard to try to avoid this scenario happening again. At least at my age (56) it makes no sense NOT to make use of the proprioceptive feedback of a belt and knee wraps/sleeves since the joints are much less capable of feeling things compared to when you were younger.

OP, maybe you need to figure out what might be wrong if you are still a bit anxious about your back .. better safe than sorry.

LFD

18. seiken steve

seiken steve golden member

To me it all comes down to:

Are you lifting as a sport or lifting for a sport?

19. Smitfire

Smitfire Cactus Schlong

I'm lifting to try and stay functional as long as possible and to make sure I can still give my kids a run for their money when they are 10 and I'm older.
    I've always been flexible (not now though) so am lifting to give myself some stability and resilience.

I still have discomfort in my lower back and some residual pain down my IT bands on both sides. It comes ang goes though and find doing some form of activity helps.
    I have been doing foam rolling, stretching, yoga and core exercises for the past couple of months.
    I was lifting mostly to try and strengthen my back in the first place! :)

I literally cannot imagine even being able to do one rep of that weight!

20. Della Spencer

Della Spencer New Member

You should definitely use one. It will give your back support while doing heavy lifting at gym. I have used belts myself and it has helped me a lot.

(Link Deleted)

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2019