Weidman v Machida Results Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Fight Discussions' started by Southpaw535, Jul 6, 2014.

1. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

I think it was close and could have gone either way. Santos was easily put off balance. He had really bad balance. He was constantly uproooted, even though it didn't take him to the ground. Hall should have folllowed up during those moments better. Hall had moments of aggresion, but seemed to do his holding back at times too. I couldn't tell if it was because of old habits or his damaged toe.

2. icefield

icefield Valued Member

i think that punch was the one that did the real damage, she didnt know where she was; classic reastion to getting clipped on th temple/ear, everything else after that just added to her problems

3. Mushroom

Mushroom De-powered to come back better than before.

4. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

I had 5 messages form students saying "DID YOU SEE THAT KESA???"....my years of trying to make Kesa sexy again have been usurped by someone clearly sexier.....hard to imagine I know

5. Hannibal

I notice our resident Ronda haters haven't said much yet.....strange that!

6. holyheadjch

holyheadjch Valued Member

I don't think many people have questioned her dominance of the sport, just the content of her character. The scary thing is, she's getting better and she was destroying the best in the sport when she was a sloppy striker.

7. Hannibal

There was a thread a while back that seemed to question exactly that IIR :)

I have always been "Team Rousey" - I think she is incredible!

8. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

She's still an ass-hat, although the amount of stupid things she's said has came down considerably.

9. Hannibal

She is cocky and arrogant, true....but she has a right to be :)

10. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

Having now listened to Tate as a cornerman I think she takes the title for saying stupid things.

11. aaradia

aaradia Choy Li Fut and Yang Tai Chi Chuan Student Moderator Supporter

Oh, you missed when she cornered her Boyfriend a couple of years ago then? Close fight, she told him to basically coast the last round because she was sure he won the first two. Well, he listened to her and lost the fight because he hadn't won the first two rounds.

12. Mushroom

At least shes not as bad as Nam Phan cornering...

Anyone see that episode on TUF? If he was in my corner my opp wouldve won by TKO via boring voice.

13. Bobby Gee

Bobby Gee Valued Member

Weidman is a legitimate badass after that fight with Machida.
    Beating Anderson Silva twice and Machida. Nice record to retire on right there haha.

14. Bobby Gee

Bobby Gee Valued Member

Oh yeah.. And Rousey is Da man! That was soo good.

15. Van Zandt

Van Zandt Mr. High Kick

*Holds hand up*

This performance made me eat my words.

Screw that, it blew me away. Her striking has come on leaps and bounds since the McMann fight. I still think some of her success is down to the 135 lb. division being thin on talent (compared to 115 lb.), but there's no denying now she's a phenomenal (and frightening) talent.

Still hate her personality, though. :p

16. holyheadjch

He beat Silva twice in questionable circumstances - even he has admitted as much hoping for a 'clean' win over Machida, which he got, but not in convincing fashion. He's a badass, but he's one of the weaker champions in the UFC.

I expect some of the more ambitious Welterweights and Light Heavyweights are thinking about making a shift to 185 lbs after that fight.

17. Pretty In Pink

Pretty In Pink Moved on MAP 2017 Gold Award

I don't think anybody from welterweight will move up for that. A couple might move down though. Only to be beaten by Weidman.

I think he beat silva the first time fair and square. The second time was also perfectly legitimate. Much like when Condit lost to Woodley. I love Condit, but he lost just as legitimately as a knockout IMO.

He has now beaten a very game Machida who many have said has looked more dangerous now than ever before. You can say "it wasn't that impressive" but he still won and the best version of Machida couldn't beat him.

18. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

A wins a win but I still think its wrong to say he beat the best Machida. If Machida had fought the whole fight with some conviction then yes, but he didn't. Its like the Rampage fight. Did rampage take the first two rounds or did Machida give them away before finally coming to fight in the third?

19. holyheadjch

Tyrone Woodley at Middleweight - got to be worth thinking about, he's not getting a shot at 170 any time soon.
    He beat him fair, sure, but he caught a guy who is not used to being caught. It's why the second fight promised so much and it's why Weidman Silva III is the only interesting option.
    I don't think Machida looked more dangerous and it wasn't the best version of him. I think the drop to middleweight has stolen a chunk of his power and he hasn't really gained any speed (we all get old). Weidman did a really good job of neutralising Machida's game plan, but the second Machida changed it up, he couldn't adjust and he was getting pummelled.

20. Mushroom

Here's everyone's payout...

Main card

Chris Weidman*($225,000 + $225,000 = $450,000) def.*Lyoto Machida*($200,000)
    Ronda Rousey*($60,000 + $60,000 = $120,000) def.*Alexis Davis*($24,000)
    Uriah Hall*($10,000 + $10,000 = $20,000) def.*Thiago Santos*($10,000)
    Russell Doane*($9,000 + $9,000 = $18,000) def.*Marcus Brimage*($10,000)

Prelims

Urijah Faber*($60,000 + $60,000 = $120,000) def.*Alex Caceres*($19,000)
    Kenny Robertson*($14,000 + $14,000 = $28,000) def.*Ildemar Alcantara*($16,000)
    Bruno Santos*($8,000 + $8,000 = $16,000) def.*Chris Camozzi*($23,000)
    Rob Font*($8,000 + $8,000 = $16,000) def.*George Roop*($20,000)
    Luke Zachrich*($8,000 + $8,000 = $16,000) def.*Guilherme Vasconcelos*($8,000)
    Kevin Casey*($8,000 + $8,000 = $16,000) def.*Bubba Bush*($8,000)

Source via fighters only