Weapons

Discussion in 'Hapkido' started by JTMS, Jun 12, 2007.

1. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

Hello,

Just thought I would ask at what level weapons are introduced in your schools?

Such as Dan Bong, rope, etc.

2. Jointlock

Jointlock Valued Member

Actual weapons techniques where you are the one wielding the weapon are taught at 1st degree and above. Weapon defense is taught at blue belt for knife and gun.

1st Dan: Dan Bong and Knife
    2nd Dan: Cane and Rope
    3rd Dan: Jang Bong
    4th Dan: Sword

3. JimH

JimH Valued Member

All weapons in our program are done by all students from the begining of their training.
    We train :
    Cane
    Short stick
    Long stick/Baton/ASP
    Knife
    Pistol

4. Kurse

Kurse New Member

I'm a yellow belt and, though I'm not very good, I've done cane, escrima stick(s), and staff.

Sorry I can't remember the Korean names for them.

5. saint15

saint15 New Member

we learn long stick from our first lesson and dont learn any other wepons till black belt though we get tought defense against knife at red belt.

6. IronPanda

IronPanda New Member

I'm only a fifth gup, but we learn Dan Bong (short stick) blocks and strikes, from white belt onward and we get tested on them.

We have also learned and practice some basic belt restraints, but I've never been tested on them (still good stuff to know).

Peace

7. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

Keep at it. I am sure you will get better. I also feel confident that you are doing better than you think!

8. Kurse

Kurse New Member

Oh I have no intention of giving up now. I wouldn't expect to be great with a weapon after only two or three classes.

I own a pair of escrima sticks and a cane, so I practice what I've learned with those, whenever I can.

9. samurang

samurang New Member

7 gup nunchucs and jang bong basics such as blocks and strikes.
    5 Gup Dan Bong the basics the same as the jang Bong.
    1 Gup basic Ji Peng E (cane)/ Dan Gum (Knife attacks.).
    1 Dan Dan Bong advanced stuff as selfdefens and movement.
    1 Dan Gum (Sword).
    2 Dan Ji Peng E Advanced stuff.
    2 Dan Poo Bak Sool (rope).
    3 Dan Boo Chai Sool (Fan).

Best Regards

Pierre Sundin

10. yukwon

yukwon New Member

Jul bong, Jang Bong and Dan Bong prior to black belt. 1st dan Sword, 2nd dan Cane, 3rd dan Fan and 4th dan Rope.

11. timex

timex Valued Member

green belt: staff
    blue belt: nunchaku
    brown belt: kali sticks
    red belt: cane and knife.
    2nd dan: double butterfly sword and double sword.
    3rd dan: gun defense,short stick and long pole.
    4th dan: sword.
    5th dan: belt(rope) and fan.

12. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

i don't do hapkido but i thought i'd give you an insight on what is taught in the kuk sool won syllabus as, afaik it is very similar to hapkido.

brown - staff (joong bong) spinning
    black/brown - knife defence (dan doh mahk ki)
    1st dan - staff form (joong bong il hyung), staff sparring, straight sword, short sticks (dan bong)
    2nd dan - reverse sword, double short sticks (sahn dan bong hyung), rope (poh bahk) and cane (ji peng ee) techniques
    3rd/4th dan - double short swords, fan techniques, double sword form

jool bong (nunchuks) don't have a specific place in the syllabus but is quite often taught around yellow/blue belt

regards

13. coc716

coc716 Just Some Guy

I thought sword wasn't traditionally part of Hapkido? I guess I stand corrected.

Moosulmaster, you didn't answer your own question. What level are weapons introduced in your school?

14. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

oops! here is the list:

Blue belt: knife defense
    Brown Belt: sword (Il Gum Gi Hyung)
    Black/Brown (cho dan bo): short stick (dan bong) and staff
    1st dan: rope and sword (Jung Gum Hyung)
    2nd dan: cane and general Gum do
    3rd dan: Fans (Boo Chai Sool) and reverse sword (Yuk Gum Hyung)
    4th dan: Archery
    5th dan: Knife throwing and offensive knife
    6th dan: offensive double knife and dan bong with knife

15. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

moosulmaster,

do you have any vids of your jung gum hyung & yuhk gum hyung? i would be interested to see how it compares to the kuk sool forms by the same names?

16. JTMS

JTMS Valued Member

They are the same as GM IN Sun Seo is my Grand Master.

17. davefly76

davefly76 Valued Member

oh, ok thanks :)

18. Hyung

Hyung Valued Member

Originally a few years ago, weapons were reserved for advanced students, over 3rd dan. But lately, we used to study every kind of technique all in the same class. Black belts of different grades, with colored belts and even with rookies or visitants. Because, in the streets, you can really know for sure who can attack you. And you must be able to defend against taller, smaller, heavier, older, younger, etc people in real life situations.
    That's why, we also study some weapons in all levels. Mostly, knife (kal) techniques, jang bong (staff), tan bong (small staff), yukdo (or shinai), nunchaku (or ssangjolgun), and for really advance black belts: cane (donjongsul), rope (kkun or chul), fans, chingun (sword).