Weapons...

Discussion in 'Kung Fu' started by watto86, Jan 11, 2006.

1. watto86

watto86 Nah brah I'm not gone

OK. Lately, i've been thinking of taking up Tae Kwon Do. However... I've also been wanting to try Wing Chun. Theres a reputable WC/VT school within 10 or 15 minutes walking distance of where I live, whos website can be found here .
    Anyway, all that aside, I was wondering. Do WC/VT schools teach any kind of weapons defence? I'm primarily thinking in terms of knives, bats, etc. Not that it will sway my decision in any direction at all, just curious.
    As usual, any possitive feedback would be much appreciated.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2006
  2. clfsean

clfsean Mo Lum Yat Ga

Give this video a look... it's basically a TKD type of guy against a WC guy. That should give an idea of what's available between the two & then you can form your own ideas about counter weapons training from that.

http://www.fight-clip.com/Movies.php?id=952

3. watto86

Looks like WC vs Kickboxing. An eye opener nonetheless. Probably cos I used to do kickboxing. lol. Thanks for the link.

4. Matt_Bernius

Matt_Bernius a student and a teacher

<controversy on>If your interest is modern weapons defense you're probably not going to find what you are looking for in either TKD or WC. I'd suggest finding a good RBSD program to help with that. Or a modern focused FMA program.<controversy off>

- Matt

5. someotherguy

someotherguy Valued Member

I think you should definitely go here yourself and see what it is about, forget any replies you get here. Go and talk to the instructor. He was taught by a very well known WC practitioner. If I had a school like that just 15 minutes walk away I'd have been down there in a flash to check it out

6. Cannibal Bob

Cannibal Bob Non Timetis Messor

Small world! I just joined that very school, and I love it. :love:

I say, come along and give it a try. Although, the head instructor isn't there right now, I think he's in Hong Kong.

7. watto86

Holy crap! Theres 3 people from Newcastle on here!
    Still what are the odds of running into someone who already goes there? lol.
    Excellent.
    I see what you mean. But I think i've given you guys the wrong idea. Sorry about that. I didn't mean I was purely looking for weapons defence etc, I was just curious, thats all. I also said it wasn't going to sway my decision either. Which I probably should have explained better. Cos I didn't mean i'd do TKD in its place if it didn't.

8. AikenD

AikenD New Member

Wing Chun is full of weapon disarming techniques

Of course dependant on the Sifu / school in question - but some of the third form stuff is for weapon disarming - good instructors will not wait until then of course, but should show these elements as soon as you ask.

Also, certain aspects of the wooden dummy form are there specifically to learn weapon disarming.

To better understand weapons and weapon disarming then you should learn some kali - there are elements of wing chun in kali, it even has a version of chi sau in it.

AikenD

9. gornex

gornex Valued Member

my school practises defence agaisnt weapons, its not regular but occsionaly we will pull out the rubber knives and guns and practise.

10. Matt_Bernius

Be very careful in writing comments like this. There are complimentary aspects between some forms of FMA and Wing Chun. But the way you phrased it suggests that there are specific elements of Wing Chun, such as Chi Sau, that have been adopted into Kali. With the possible exception of Innasanto Blend, I can all but assure you that isn't the case.

- Matt

11. someotherguy

someotherguy Valued Member

It's ok Matt, Aiken doesn't really know what he is talking about if he thinks that WC is packed full of empty hand weapon disarms :rolleyes:. If someone pulls out a knife, the rules of the game have changed...someone attempting empty hand disarms is going to end up in hospital unless they are extremely lucky

12. Matt_Bernius

SOG,

Thanks. I didn't want to be the first to say it.

- Matt

13. oldman

oldman Banned Banned

follow this link i started last year
    http://www.martialartsplanet.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39305
    But as you already know learn to punch and kick properly as the weapons are just extensions of your hands. :D

14. AikenD

AikenD New Member

Kali and Chi Sau

Kali also has a type of Chi Sau, where Short Lap Sao, Tan Sao and Saas Sao are used. there is emphasis on control and feeling. So go to the Philippines and look out a teacher of Kali, and once you have completed the Kali 12, the basic, intermediate and advanced disarming, then you will do tapi-tapi, then etc etc Very much Wing Chun elements included

Kind Regards

AikenD

15. AikenD

AikenD New Member

You would know

Wooden dummy form is full of knife stuff, kuhn sau's preceding movement is a perfect example.

kind regards

AikenD

16. watto86

Thanks for the info. But considering how long its been since I went to kickboxing, whatever next place I go to, will also be to learn to punch/kick/elbow/knee/whatever.

17. TheDarkJester

TheDarkJester 90% Sarcasm, 10% Mostly Good Advice.

That really should be overemphasized Matt... Unless your training with a knife or a substitute in its place right off the bat, one won't understand how a knife works in a fight and you can't fight something you don't understand...

Most places will teach some "weapons" defence, but the harsh reality is this.. you can take a knife technique, and it will convert to a bare handed technique, and it will stick work just nicely.

Switch that statement around and try to use a barehanded technique you were taught up against a knife attacker and you'll end up with stitches if you're lucky.

18. AikenD

AikenD New Member

Well, my Sifu showed me, and his Sifu showed him, and Yip Man showed the SiGong.
    There are basic, intermediate and advanced cycles, each having 12 techniques (to cover the common 12 strikes)

I never used the term "packed full", but there are always people who will pick on bad english (if I were to write in my mothertounge, very few people would understand me)
    Your lack of knowledge is excusable, your lack of desire to learn is not, and your presumption that you have all the answers is typical of the western worlds general attitude.

If you were interested in learning, or in teaching properly, then you would ask for an example - or enter into discussion on the topic - "It's ok Matt, Aiken doesn't really know what he is talking about " suggests to me that your are a mediocre teacher at the best.

kind regards

AikenD