Weapons of MoroLand Mindanao

Discussion in 'Filipino Martial Arts' started by BGile, Mar 12, 2007.

1. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Another

Attached Files:

2. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Hi,
    The archery that was used by this tribe and many others was for hunting. But in the articles I have read. They mention the poison that was on the arrows were for killing humans as well as animals. I am not sure why they would use a poison and then eat the animal? Must only work in the blood system, and not the digestive tract?

I would think the poison was for killing your advisary. Just a scratch was all that was needed to place the poison in the system (they mention in the article). The article I read was in National Gegraphic dated Sept 1912, the writer is Dean C Worchester.

Gary

3. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Ilongots

I tried to upload an article, was not clear. I'll type it out. Comes from the National Geographic issue Sept. 1912 It is about Head Hunters.

Ilongots use bows and arrows, both in warfare and in hunting deer and wild hogs. Most of their arrows have quite skillfully shaped steel or iron heads. Their other weapons of offense are war knives, carried in curved wooden sheaths decorated with metal bands, and poorly made lances of small size, the heads being hardly larger than good-sized arrow heads.

It goes on to talk about their shields being peculiar shaped, long and narrow and usually painted a dull red.
    It is clear, that they used the bow and arrow for both hunting and fighting. This article was only about 100 years old, but it shows what they had then.

This link is about Moroland and other information about the Islands.

http://www.fas.org/irp/world/para/docs/ph1.htm

Gary

Last edited: Apr 14, 2007
  4. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

5. kalislash

kalislash Valued Member

Their weapons are also used for hunting but occassionally can be used for fighting. Some weapons like bagakay a fire-hardened stick usully used as a throwing weapons,mosly they used bakhaw (MANGROOVES) Mabuhay

6. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Is the Mangrove a dense wood? It would make sense to be dense for that purpose. Is it a good wood for the stick of Escrima,Eskrima,Arnis,Kali? Or is rattan still the best?

Gary

7. Federico

Federico New Member

Just gotta apologize for this one. I take all the blame for the errors in the article. While I did not write much of what is in it, it is my own behavior and choice in priorities which helped force such errors to occur.

8. kalislash

kalislash Valued Member

Hi Bgilles, Well rattan sticks is still the best for training ,and bagakay is for throwing sticks the end are both pointed and hardened by fire MABUHAY Gat Kalislash

9. Spunjer

Spunjer Valued Member

yo federico,

nice to hear from you, bro! the 'old' forum hasn't been the same, lol. i'm pretty sure you've prolly been lurking there.
    i just wanna share the pics; love it or hate it, i figure there's nothing wrong with sharing our heritage's little known treasures...

10. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

-----------------------------------------------------

How sharper than a serpents tooth.... you wound me deeply! I have not called anyone names that do not apply. Not board members; not anyone. I have merely invited readers to apply the analogy as they see fit.

It only applies to those who wrongly tear down someone else to build themselves up. I felt we were having a good discussion, oh well.

Old England and all. Borrowed.

11. Federico

Federico New Member

Wow...just fully read the thread (pictures of nice swords always distract me from things like reading), and while for some reason (I still dont understand why) it jumped from a seemingly strange attempt to link Philippine weaponry with Spartan weaponry, to native bows, I just wanted to note that there are a fair number of academic books available in your local library or interlibrary loan that address the development in metal working in the Philippines. Wikipedia is fun and easy, but not necessarily authoratative. Still fond of the good ol peer reviewed book. Though I guess if a real desire for an answer was sought, and real research was done, this thread would not have started. :bang:

12. kalislash

kalislash Valued Member

In Mindanao I think that the natives used the kalasag (shield) and spear for combat and kris for closed-fight. :rolleyes:

13. BGile

BGile Banned Banned

Federico

I believe if you read it again you will see why the thread is like it is. Quite a bit of area for error. We are on the way, allowing others to join and put in opinions of fact.

The idea of the thread was to have information. Much has been put into it, while others snipe and don't contribute.

Gary

14. Federico

Federico New Member

Depending on how you want to approach research there are a couple of reasons why I think a trip to the library would have given a better answer to a truly honest question. On a western academic approach, as I noted there are a number of good peer reviewed books by scholars (William Henry Scott is one author that jumps out off the top of my head) that can readily explain on an academic level how metal working came and developed in the Philippines, and would forgo alot of the assertions that created this thread.
    And IMHO before any academic debate could begin, these sources would need to be read and used for such a debate. At least when I was in school for this kind of subject, anything less would not have been allowed by the professors.

On another level, if you talk to alot of old timers in the weapons research field, particularly those who respect the old ways, or if you deal with alot of the people for whom these weapons are not part of a distant academic tradition but are rather fundamental parts of their living culture, there is a certain degree of self searching and development that need to be done before answers can be found. Knowledge in these circles is not given willy nilly, but is earned through respect and individual work, because in the end the answers come from within that from without, so to speak.

In the end, neither approach does not lend itself well to public internet forums in the contexts in which baiting to asserrt ones own conclusions and not an honest search for knowledge is made. I am sorry if this seems to obscufate rather than clarify, but this is a subject in which I have invested much time and effort, and for which it is not some purely academic game, but rather a very personal essential part of my life. After this post I will comment no further on the topic, as I would not be respecting the traditions I hold dear by arguing for arguments sake.