Weapons of martial arts

Discussion in 'Weapons' started by Santa Barbara, May 20, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moi

Moi Warriors live forever x

She knows too much?

2. Fu_Bag

Fu_Bag Valued Member

I thought everyone agreed Hannibal looks stunning on the back of his motorcycle.

3. Hannibal

Hannibal Cry HAVOC and let slip the Dogs of War!!! Supporter

awwww shucks....:love:

4. Southpaw535

Southpaw535 Well-Known Member Moderator Supporter

So does the rest of MAP :hat:

To get the semi soppy bit out the way: I've got no problem with you personally either and any insults I throw at you on this thread are purely specific to this thread ;)

5. Done-Gone

Done-Gone Banned Banned

I think SB is just a misunderstood soul. I'm not sure she means what she says in her posts about Martial Arts weapons being useless and all that, although I do agree with the fact that those weapons are never around when you actually need them. Part of the problem may be that she does work in law enforcement and her weapons are far superior than those we learn to use in the dojo and/or practice for fun... also Wonder Woman is bullet proof - how can we expect her to respect and/or fear Martial Arts weapons?

6. Hannibal

That dog won't hunt - I am an LEO and my Glock is the only one I would consider superior and even then only in certain circs. Significantly I am also considered one of the "go to" guys for weapons ID and techniques (including disarms and knives)

In fact if she IS in LE then there is no excuse at all for the lack of comprehension displayed

Again the point has been missed - IT IS THE PRINCIPLES NOT THE WEAPON

Bloody hell it's like groundhog day!

7. Simon

Simon Administrator Admin Supporter MAP 2017 Koyo Award

Nearly 250 posts in, so plenty of time to evaluate and build upon her original statements.

The weapons are not around, but the principles are. This is exactly what we are all getting at.

No they are not. What weapon does a LEO use that is superior? A gun maybe. Not always superior, we have proved that. Pepper spray, we have disproved that also. A baton maybe. No different to my eskrima stick. My eskrima stick is better in my hands because I am not bound by governmental and departmental procedures.

Train correctly.

8. Simon

Beat me to it. Posted while I was still writing.

Can't be a coincidence can it?

9. Hannibal

Methinks not!

10. TKDDragon

TKDDragon Valued Member

Isn't the traditional US police "Night Stick" essentially a variant of the tonfa? Wouldn't that make the academy training in its use martial arts weapons training?
    Principles, Principles Principles ...

11. Hannibal

Yep - the PR24...although the designer denies having ever seen a tonfa, making the principles even MORE universal

12. Simon

I would say so.

13. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

So SB needs to do the warehouse drill from the Dan Inosanto video against pretty much any weapon user, then come up against an Eskrimador with anything from a rolling pin to half a pool cue when armed with her baton, then figure out that actually training with stuff makes you good at using it.

Is that the gist?

I just don't get how this can be news to anyone?

Judoka rock. They rock because they pressure test their stuff against people who want to beat them all the time.

All that's needed is to watch one solitary Dog Brothers video and any judoka should feel a kinship, of methodology if nothing else, but I expect much more in terms of principles if they take time to think.

Good MAs trained properly tend to have elements in common which are then modified for rulesets.

Mitch

14. Dean Winchester

Dean Winchester Valued Member

She's a LEO???

:eek:

Good God I bloody well hope not.

15. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

I guess they really do just let anyone into LE these days.

16. Done-Gone

Done-Gone Banned Banned

Not just any LE - U.S. MAR-shall/tial Artist. :woo:

17. Hannibal

Again, even LESS of an excuse for the ignorance then

18. pgsmith

pgsmith Valued dismemberer

I have only one word then ... quota.

19. LilBunnyRabbit

LilBunnyRabbit Old One

How's he at trail running?

I barely do shorts at all (prefering combats for training, or breeches), compelling skin-tights is going to require a pursuit and grappling.

You mean that not everyone walks around with a rapier strapped to their side any more? I knew I was out of date, but not that much.

Bullet proofing doesn't work too well against blades. :)

20. tonyv107

tonyv107 Valued Member

blades beat fists, guns beat blades, and fists beat guns when you're SB.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.