Weapons defense?

Discussion in 'Karate' started by Kframe, Jun 28, 2014.

1. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Mitch what you say makes sense..

Ill just say this in honesty, I will likely spend some time trying to work weapon defenses. Ya the movements must be effective against other movement in this I agree. However sometimes it helps to actually see a knife in your partners hand to help your awareness of them. I hope that makes sense.

All I know im far more aware of weapons thanks to my recent training, then I was before.

2. Mitch

Mitch Lord Mitch of MAP Admin

Please make sure you train with a soft rubber training knife :)

Take a look at JWT's sim day threads fir lots of inspiration ,or even better go train with him.

Mitch

3. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

I saw that thread, that was a hectic mess.. Looks like fun tbh.

Edit to add. Rubber knife, lol, I have a aluminum training and plan on investing in a Shock Knife by the end of the year.

4. Mitch

I'm serious about the rubber knife.

If you use an aluminium knife you can genuinely injure someone with it, ditto the shocknife. This may either change the way you use it, limit your training, or worse still actually hurt a training partner.

Mitch

5. Bozza Bostik

Bozza Bostik Antichrist on Button Moon

These have been put up before, but I think the OP needs to see them. They're not safe for work and there's some ungodly words used. I think it needs to be seen though.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37XiSn81oFw"]Reality of Knife Attacks - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E61jnJe_1SI"]The Reality Of Knife Attack - Deane Lawler @ the A.I.M Academy 2011 - YouTube[/ame]

Yeah, we use different knives depending on what we are doing; rubber for sparring or drills done with more intensity. The aluminum knives still hurt and could have someone's eye out :)D). We often wear goggles even with the rubber knives. Better to be safe than blind.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  6. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

Try a big. bold, jumbo red marker. You'd be surprise how "technique goes out the window" as people do weird contortions "trying to avoid from being marked'

[​IMG]

7. Bozza Bostik

We've never actually done that. I can imagine it's a bit of an eye-opener and a lot of fun.

One of the first things you learn when you do some knife sparring is that it is so often a lose / lose situation. Sure, you took the guy down and stabbed him 20 times, but you also got cut 5 times going in!

8. ap Oweyn

ap Oweyn Ret. Supporter

You'll also be surprised at how long it takes to wash off.

9. Mitch

Hopefully people will be able to get to this video. Watch it once.

Warning, contains words much worse than bum or wee.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10202138625726872

Done that?

Did you see the knife?

Now watch it a couple of times and try to see when it was drawn and how it is used.

Imagine trying to do that with a solid knife or a shocknife. Sometimes, you have to compromise on the weapon because the only alternative would be to compromise on the realism of the training.

Mitch

10. Bozza Bostik

Nope! Can't see it at all.

I'm guessing...

The guy in black shirt on the left? His right hand is hovering around his belt / top of his trousers. Left hands held out bit like a fence. Looks a bit odd. But i really can't see when it is drawn or used.

11. Mitch

Yep.

He ends up on the bottom of the sofa bundle and is slashing/stabbing the back, legs, buttocks whatever of several people. Knife comes out at around 36 seconds, you'll see him stabbing/slashing from there as there are flashes of silver/grey.

Mitch

12. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Was it the guy in the red? I didn't think he was even involved. Why would he be involved in that fight anyways? What is the context? Was it "oh look a fight, Im gonna knife someone"

13. Bozza Bostik

Ah yeah!

I was stopping the video before the end where you can see him with the knife come up from the bottom. The hand gives you a clue, but that's easy to see sitting in a kitchen watching a video. Different kettle of fish when you are there and the pressure is on.

Where you there for that? Good exercise!

14. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

LOL im stupid, I didn't even see the guy in black. WOW.

Someone said to consider my risks. Well I don't drink, don't go to bars, and don't go to clubs. Were in my town most of that crap happens. That looks like a bar and I wouldn't be there.. When I start seen crap go down, If im not directly involved, screw it im not doing anything.

15. Mitch

I was watching, several of my students and a karateka friend are involved, AlanSmurf is the man in black on the right who throws the kick.

Mitch

16. Mitch

It's tough in all that chaos, but hopefully it makes the point about why, sometimes, a cheap rubber knife will actually allow a better, more realistic training experience than any form of solid blade can safely provide.

Mitch

17. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

Ya I see your point. I do think that the shock knife has uses in less intense things such as drills and such.

18. 47MartialMan

47MartialMan Valued Member

It is a eye-opener. The mentality/anxiety of not wanting to be marked is "almost" that of not wanting to be stabbed----"almost"

But out of the 5, it takes one to really ruin your day before you ever cut loose on the 20

That is way people do their best to move out of the way :D

However, old clothing should be used

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
  19. blindside

blindside Valued Member

I don't recommend a rubber knife. Yes it is safer, but it is almost impossible to disarm someone with a rubber knife, you can not get any leverage on the blade. We use sharkee knives normally and aluminum once the students get accustomed to the plastic.

20. Kframe

Kframe Valued Member

I read on a blog, were they think that karate was created in a knife culture. How is it that, karate then did not have a knife/counter knife curriculum.

I wonder if karateka are meant to explore weapons as they gain rank and proficiency.

So how does your Karate school handle this subject?